Archinect
anchor

Spike lee gentrification speech.

curtkram

wait, are you saying the gay people in chicago are upset because they are being displaced by people who are gentrifying the neighborhoods they gentrified?  they don't like being the displaced population after they displaced a population?

Apr 3, 14 4:38 pm  · 
 · 
grneggandsam

We're architects, surely we can come up with a way to get clean drinking water?  I'm actually eyeing Pittsburgh right now. $40,000 for a house doesn't sound too bad.  Believe it or not, I'd like to escape the outrageous rents of gentrified cities as well...

Apr 3, 14 4:39 pm  · 
 · 
SeriousQuestion

wtf are you talking about gays are usually gentrifiers.

Apr 3, 14 4:41 pm  · 
 · 
curtkram

I thought it was bearded hipsters.  what if there were bearded gay people?  omg i bet they would totally gentrify.  they would probably even need their own restrooms.

Apr 3, 14 5:13 pm  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

Funny curtkram....in some parts of jersey the Bears invade and start eating human food. Damn bear population gentrifying suburbs.

Apr 3, 14 5:20 pm  · 
 · 

Bears and Gays can be the same thing,

Point is the culture on the ground not conforming and being chased out with regulations (dwelling occupancy limits, hot dog stand bans) calls to the police for disturbance (playing your acoustic base, celebrating the death of that West borough baptist church nutcase with an impromptu parade) or convincing your local politicians that your right to  peace and quiet on the last Sunday in June is more important than a pride parade. 

Gays are one group of gentrifiers, so are artist colonies, new immigrant communities, but where there is a difference is in the way this happens, is it additive or subtractive gentrification. Are you adding something to the scene or asking people to be quiet on a Sunday evening.

Apr 4, 14 7:24 am  · 
 · 
grneggandsam

Peter,

I agree wholeheartedly that WASPs coming in and destroying the vivacity of the city would be a bad thing.  It would be very unfortunate if NIMBY attitudes caught on in inner cities, and I hope people moving into the urban core are expecting and welcoming of the occasional noisy parade or street musician.  Those are some of the things I love most about living in a dense urban environment - the cultural exposure and diversity.

Apr 4, 14 9:12 am  · 
 · 
grneggandsam

and I generally agree that restrictions on commerce and the free market (when not destroying the environment) cause more harm to the economy than good.  So - I'm down for the hot dog stand.  Its mostly the established shop owners that don't like the food trucks (because food trucks don't pay property taxes and provide competition).  Also - Ben's Chili Bowl (a prominent African American establishment) is one of my favorite places to grab a bite in the gentrifying U-street Neighboorhood.  Their chili dogs are great!

Apr 4, 14 9:17 am  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

Squatters, I would argue, are not gentrifiers, and many artists were squatters.

I will also argue, that it's not conspiracy theory to suggest the not to hidden connections between the corporatists, justice system - including police department, and the state and city governing structures. We can't look at what IS happening, without looking at HOW it happened. These bearded hipsters, while certainly need to shoulder some of blame, are not symptoms of the problem, they are indicative of what the "system" sees as the cure, for the problem. They're just having too much fun churning butter, and making artisanal axes to give a shit.

The true test for DeBlasio and Cuomo, and more DeBlasio, is whether or not they will invest, significantly, into communities of the global majority, not because there's moolah to be made, but because the people that live there deserve livable, affordable and sustainable communities.

Apr 8, 14 11:38 pm  · 
 · 
x-jla

Agree^ 

The hipster "subculture" is one of the most benign subcultures I've ever witnessed.  They are very material driven and obsessively seeking banal novelties.  The only thing that actually ties this "subculture" together is clothing style, greenwashed lifestyle, and a slight lean to the left.  

Boring!

The hipsters are young yuppies that give a little bit more of a shit than old yuppies which is not much...

(Not talking about individuals but the overall herd)

Apr 9, 14 3:54 am  · 
 · 
toasteroven

that's because it's not a "subculture" - it's the actual culture.  you're the ones being left behind.

Apr 9, 14 1:10 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: