Archinect
anchor

Townhouse Precedents

idiotwind

Does anyone have any knowledge of projects resembling the New York Townhouse by Tod Williams and Billie Tsien?

I'm curious to investigate all modern applications dealing with large interior volumes and narrating facades within the adjacent lots of older buildings, preferably neoclassical.

The building should respect its neighboring lots.

Mar 23, 10 11:24 pm
idiotwind

come on, i know some of you old bastards know of some nice projects you could share. please?

Mar 24, 10 5:09 pm  · 
 · 
David Cuthbert

hey I resemble that old bastard comment.

I can't think of any immediate examples with the exacting similarities; "neo classical neighbours, modern narrative facades and large interior volumes + looking like a Williams & Tsien townhouse"

but it's worth looking at the Dirty House by David Adjaye which has some of the qualities you seek, modern narrative facade, larger interior but the neighbours aren't neo-classical - they are industrial. If you can get hold of his monograph on his domestic buildings they also have some of the extension he's done to council houses

hope that helps

oh and calling people old bastards is one sure way to be ignored - but then again you knew that ;-)

Mar 24, 10 5:38 pm  · 
 · 
idiotwind

Thanks, David. I appreciate your response! It does help, and it is an interesting project. I will look into it deeper.

I guess it is a very specific demand, so really at this point any modern row house may have to suffice. The New York Townhouse just came to mind. So, maybe it would be more appropriate to have the headline read "modern rowhouses."

The neoclassical aspect relates to the site I've been given, so the relationship between these two time periods interest me.

I figured name calling would result in more action! Haha...

Mar 24, 10 8:51 pm  · 
 · 
montagneux
Mar 24, 10 9:41 pm  · 
 · 
idiotwind

please don't post infantile spam.

seriously what is going through you people's minds? are you all asleep?

Mar 24, 10 10:38 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: