Archinect
anchor

entering the field

FLmanatee

So I am currently hearing back from 3 yr MLA programs that I applied to for next fall. I have been pretty good about staying positive about entering the landscape architecture field despite the current state, or what I perceive as the state of the of the field in this economy. However I still can't help but wonder if this is still a good idea. Occasionally I will read very discouraging posts warning people against entering this industry. I am assuming LA has been hit just as hard Architecture, so I am having second thoughts about spending years and money to become a LA

My undergraduate was in biochemistry and environmental science, but after three years in the lab I realized it wasn't for me. I attended the gsd career discovery and very much enjoyed using the creative side of my brain again.

I applied to UT Austin, UVA, Berkeley and CU Denver BTW

Mar 22, 10 10:32 pm
WinstonSmith

If landscape architecture is anything like architecture, and you value your time, money, and life's dreams are more than living a lower middle class lifetstyle..............

honestly, I'd tell my worst enemies to go for it and my best friends to get the hell out if while they still can.

Mar 23, 10 2:03 am  · 
 · 

sounds like you've got a good background to complete the mla and then decide what you want to do with it - even if that's not the traditional landscape architect path.

from landscape restoration projects to research at an arboretum, i can think of several directions a science-trained designer could pursue right here in my area - and i'm in a pretty small market.

winstonsmith is spreading poison all over this forum - and he's had a rough ride, it sounds like, so his point-of-view shouldn't be discounted - but his is one person's experience, not everyone's.

learn what you can about compensation for las and weigh what you'd spend at school against that. design may not lead to as lucrative a career as you thought you wanted, but i wouldn't trade it for anything.

Mar 23, 10 6:41 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: