Archinect
anchor

Parsons the New School for Design

bballer

I am trying to decide on a M.Arch program for this coming fall. I am very interested in Parsons and am wondering if there are any current or passed Parsons students who can give an incite to the program and atmosphere there. Also would be grateful if an practitioners weighed in. I have been though a few old threads on Parsons but they are quite old. Any incite is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Mar 17, 10 3:27 pm
lise

Here's the info about the M.Arch program http://www.newschool.edu/parsons/masters-architecture/

Mar 30, 10 5:27 pm  · 
 · 
de Architectura

bballer,

The program is small (less than 30) and rather new (since 1994); the curriculum is light on history/theory and technology (if you go you must do everything possible to get into the Design Workshop with David Lewis.) There are some interesting people there and if share some of their interests there are opportunities to research things a little further. The facilities are tight: the graduates share the 2nd floor with the undergraduates and the lab and computer area are small. (There is a larger computer lab for all students a few blocks away.) The studio closes at 2am most days and 11pm on Saturday which was very annoying.
If I may ask: which other schools/programs are you deciding between?

Mar 30, 10 6:21 pm  · 
 · 
bballer

Thanks for the feedback.

de Architectura - I am trying to decide between Pratt, City College and Parsons. I would say I am 70% sure I will go to Parsons.

How about yourself?

Mar 30, 10 9:51 pm  · 
 · 
de Architectura

bballer,

I know this is going to sound odd, but . . . at least look at CCNY a little closer. There are two reasons I say this: I went to Parsons for undergrad (BFA architecture) and now I'm at MIT for grad (M. Arch I) and every time I do the calculation I slam my mouse ( I guess it really is a digital world.) I love it here; fellow students, faculty, resources, freedom ... you name it. I received generous financial support (1/2 half) but my goal is to open my own office after ... 6-8 years of graduation. And I have serious doubts. (Actually, most of my debt is from undergrad.) Obviously these are not necessarily your goals; but my suggestion is that you consider your medium-term goals when making this decision and honestly answer which school will better assist in reaching those goals.
Secondly, each school pretty much has the same resources and opportunities; it's up to you to take advantage of them. On the one hand, I think CCNY has a better curriculum; on the other hand, Parsons has the Design Workshop. But both have great faculty and adequate resources. It's a tough call; visit both schools (again or if you can) on a random day (Open Houses are not an honest representation of a school's culture) and compare it with your goals.

N.B. although it's a design school, don't expect much interaction with other departments at Parsons, unless you smoke, in which case you'll be able to smoke outside with the art students.

N.B. I have two friends in the Parsons M.Arch program and one friend in the CCNY M. Arch program ... All three like where they are ... me too . . . go figure.

Mar 30, 10 11:20 pm  · 
 · 
bballer

Thanks for the insider scoop...it is really much appreciated.

Going into the process CCNY was my number one choice...good price tag, awesome facilities...but I visited and the student body/administration was a little disappointing to me. They all seemed to feel the need to justify why the go there and to make the point...over and OVER...that they are just as good as the other NY schools. But I think you are right...I should give it another look.

Question about Parsons...do you know a lot about the Design Workshop program? My question is how do they select who gets involved? It is a major attraction to me but I am worried I will go and then not get to do it.

I have heard great things about MIT...

Mar 31, 10 10:35 am  · 
 · 
de Architectura

I think CCNY was really forced into that position; I went to their open house a couple of years ago with my friend and students kept on asking "How does the school compare with ... " You heard Columbia every five minutes the entire day. So at a visit now, you're going to get that. But it's not far from the truth; I'd say the best students at Columbia or Parsons or Yale or GSD or MIT (the top 5, maybe 10%) produce extraordinary work, but everyone else, including at CCNY, looks pretty much same.
The Design Workshop is about 12-15 students in the second year second semester with David Lewis; the rest of the students take the Comprehensive studio (I think Laura Briggs is teaching it this semester.) It's a lottery process to determine which students get which studio. By the way, last year they redesigned the studio space so the above description may no longer be valid.

Mar 31, 10 7:35 pm  · 
 · 
bballer

Shot I was afraid it would be by lotto...makes me nervous.

Mar 31, 10 9:43 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: