Archinect
anchor

Blender 3D

Has anyone ever tried this open-source 3D software:

http://www.blender3d.com/

?

Given that it's free, i suppose that there is nothing to lose in trying it out. Has anyone used it? Is it any good?

Oct 30, 04 10:23 pm
a-f

It looks pretty impressive for being freeware! Particle animation, radiosity rendering and Python scripting.... I'm installing it at the moment to have look.

Oct 31, 04 6:04 am  · 
 · 
slaprabbit

yeah very impressive.. have u seen the gallary on the website, impressive work.

Oct 31, 04 10:26 am  · 
 · 
French

Not that impressive compared to what expensive 3d programs and renderers can do, but definitely not that bad for an open source program. Does it handles radiosity?

Oct 31, 04 10:59 am  · 
 · 
delicrafts

Here it is. A radiosity renderer for Blender. It's free as well.

YafRay

Oct 31, 04 12:19 pm  · 
 · 
French

So her's a question to my fellow 3d geeks colleagues surfing this forum: why do you think this freeware program hasn't replaced yet the major programs if it can do the same things?

Oct 31, 04 12:57 pm  · 
 · 

I wonder why, because the fact you can tinker with this program so much is ultimately very promising.

Oct 31, 04 1:09 pm  · 
 · 
French

I'll give a try on my spare time (like I have spare time...)

Oct 31, 04 1:17 pm  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor

because they dont have any money for marketing

Oct 31, 04 9:00 pm  · 
 · 
Pimp Minister Pete Nice

Looks like you can't save as an .IGES either.

Nov 1, 04 1:19 pm  · 
 · 
French

Well, it also looks like the interface is not really user friendly as it could. I guess they'll have to work on that to make it.

Nov 2, 04 3:58 am  · 
 · 
el jeffe

Anyone been using blender since this topic was last discussed?
I was thinking of shelling out for a copy of rhino but paused when i saw this...

Feb 6, 06 10:55 am  · 
 · 
a-f

What bothers me is that the user interface is so different to other programs, albeit its reliance on hotkeys probably makes it fast. I went through the few tutorials they have on the site (lack of documentation is also a problem), but never got any further in using it.

Feb 6, 06 11:21 am  · 
 · 
doberman

Rhino also started as a freeware if i rmemebr correctly. didn't remain free for too long though.

Feb 6, 06 11:24 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: