Archinect
anchor

Architecture vs. Business Undergrad

jnwoods403

I am currently a senior in high school and am pondering my future. Ever since a young age, my true passion has always been architecture and design. Recently(over the past 4 years) however, I have developed a strong interest in business and entrepreneurship. I feel like deep down architecture is still my true passion, but now I really have the desire to build up and sell a web company that I already have a plan for while im young, and I feel like an undergrad degree in arch might hold me back from that. My initial plan was to get a B.Arch and then an MBA but now Im thinking maybe ill do a Undergrad in business and an M.Arch. Ive already been accepted at a couple schools so either of these routes is an option right now. Im wondering if I should go the first route with a B.Arch first which will mean I would probably begin working/interning as an architect right after college, or if I go the route which would allow me to pursue my entrepreneurial endeavors first and then architecture later. Right now its pretty much an internal struggle between my passion(architecture) first, or business first which I think will bring me more money quicker(hopefully). So those are my thoughts, any advice?

Mar 1, 10 4:50 pm
quizzical
jnwoods403

: I can share with you my own perspective. I went the following route: B.Arch - 4 years of practice - licensure - MBA school.

For me, this was the right path and allowed me to scratch my itch for both business and architecture. My MBA has allowed me to spend about half of my 35 year career in real estate development; my B.Arch and license has allowed me to have my own architectural firm (with partners). Personally, I think it's a great combination of degrees that gives one tremendous flexibility with respect to career direction. Hope this helps.

Of course, you'll make a lot more money if you "build up and sell a web company".

Mar 1, 10 4:59 pm  · 
 · 
swisscardlite

I am a B.Arch student and have plans on going to business school later on (MBA or MSRED) as well. For me, I think it is better to learn architecture at a younger age when you have more energy and then learn business later on when you are more exposed to the profession.

A MBA is also usually more attractive to employers than an undergraduate business degree. This is of course is dependent on other factors such as work experience and drive.

Mar 1, 10 5:30 pm  · 
 · 
marlowe

Thought I'd share my experiences as well....

I started a MBA program this year in a top 15 school. I finished my undergrad degree in architecture and immediately started taking the ARE's...I'm now licensed and work for a large corporate firm.

In this economy, and based on my own view of the future of our profession, simply having a degree, or two, in architecture won't be enough. Also, i'd strongly recommend forgoing the undergrad business degree and focus on the MBA track. I know plenty of people with undergrad business degrees waiting tables right now.

My advice would be...Get a b.arch and MBA and then go work for a small firm, and then a large corporate firm. Get licensed as quickly as possible.

You'll get to see both sides of the profession and if you decide to go out on your own and form your own practice, you'll benefit from having worked in both environments.

Also, check out the work of IDEO. They do amazing work and hire people with equally strong business/design backgrounds.

Mar 1, 10 9:29 pm  · 
 · 

I'm in the same exact boat and also starting undergrad this spring. So far I'm leaning towards the B.Arch and then depending on how things go, continue in grad school to get an M.Arch, MBA, M.Phil, or some combination of those (I would like to eventually get a PhD, but I'll see if that's practical when I get there).

As far as myself, I definitely want to indulge my passion for architecture before subjecting myself to business and such– it's all great knowledge but five years from now, I'd rather be applying my knowledge of architecture to business than the other way around. In some regards this is a very simplistic way to think about it but it's been helpful in deciding what programs I was applying to. Of course, you might want to reverse this if you got accepted to an excellent undergrad business department but only mediocre architecture programs, though it didn't sound like you were running into this problem.

When it comes to money, ultimately you're going to have to decide what you really want. Does your passion outweigh the means to your ideal future? I for one have no interest in living "the life". Breathing room for me means a shack in the woods, not $150k+ a year and a comfy apartment. My interest in any degree has nothing to do with material gain but rather knowledge and perspective. Point being, to each their own, and I think it's important to analyze your commitment to certain goals and passions each step of the way.

Good luck! Mind if I ask where you got accepted? I haven't received any letters yet so though I'm confident of at least a few of my applications I'm still in that awkward anticipation phase.

Mar 1, 10 10:30 pm  · 
 · 
amirb

If at a young age, you had interests in design, it is a good sign. Young age, 0 to 5, are formative years in determining the thinking process, and usually a good indicator as to what a child may be good at and passionate later in life.

People struggle their whole life figuring out what they are passionate about. If you truly believe you have found your passion, then you ought to follow it; it will be rewarding mentally and eventually financially. Following money will lead you nowhere but back to your passion, if even.

Mar 1, 10 11:42 pm  · 
 · 
bRink

I did 4 year bachelors in business + a 3.5 year m arch... I didn't know I wanted to do architecture at the time, but took some architecture electives in undergrad which got me moving in the direction... If I knew that I wanted to do both starting out... I dont know... Yeah, I'd probably do a b arch, work for a few years and then do an MBA...

there is also... MBAs that are focusing in design thinking... go to:
http://www.rotmandesignworks.ca/

undergraduate business programs tend to be more broad and prepare people to work in business related fields... you take a great deal of economics, statistics, finance, financial and managerial accounting, marketing, management, organization design and organizational behavior, etc. so that's *even if you don't really care all that much about accounting for example*... an MBA is a not as broad I don't think, more for management level professionals, and will be more focused on leadership training...? management skills... also they say that with B school, so much of the value comes from *who you meet there* the networking aspect, so going to a top business school MBA program means you can meet much more useful contacts with years in their careers (you'd be meeting management level professionals rather than -if you did undergraduate business- undergraduate future accountants, marketers, consultants, and fund managers on wall street :P)

I do think doing undergraduate business is useful from a knowledge standpoint, I just don't know how well it will help to *advance your career or *make connections... If I could do it over... I would probably go to architecture school first... I think the MBA will do that much more for you career wise than an M Arch will (vs. a B Arch)... A B Arch is viewed the same as an M Arch by the profession...

Mar 2, 10 12:28 am  · 
 · 
bRink

In undergrad business comes from classes, your coursework from professors... In an MBA I think you learn as much from your classmates who will have experience working in different industries as much as you learn from your profs...

Mar 2, 10 12:34 am  · 
 · 
jnwoods403

Thank you guys so much for all of your wonderful perspectives. Your advice and experiences have made me realize that it probably would be better to go into architecture first and then business later on. It was really interesting reading all of the directions you guys took, and Quizzical I thought that was really cool how your MBA allowed you to dive into real estate development as well as own your own architecture firm. iSmith I live over on the west coast and so far ive gotten into U of A, U of O, and CCA for architecture and Penn State for business. Im waiting on about 5 more but Im planning on entering Fall 2010 not spring like yourself. Anyways thanks again to everyone who answered! This is a really helpful site and I will definitely be back!

Mar 2, 10 1:51 am  · 
 · 
quizzical
jnwoods403

: Good luck going forward. One additional observation that I think most architects overlook.

In architecture there is no single "right" solution for any particular design problem -- only an infinite array of relatively better, or relatively worse, solutions. The same is true in business. Business can be a surprisingly creative endeavor.

Our training in architecture school develops critical thinking skills (sometimes overly critical) that, when couched in the appropriate frame of mind, are easily transferred to the world of business. Too many architects never recognize this similarity and, regrettably, perceive "business" to be some foreign, unfamiliar land.

Mar 2, 10 8:17 am  · 
 · 
marlowe

University of Miami has a B.Arch/MBA program that is good.
Although, if your already predisposed to dislike new urbanism than it may not be the best school for you.

Mar 2, 10 8:31 am  · 
 · 
trace™

Just don't wait too long. I knew I wanted business knowledge and got my minor in it, but that's barely anything. I've got 2 degrees in arch (one non professional, left me little choice) and have been tossing around the idea of getting a MBA focused on RE development.

Problem is, once you are out of school for 10 years and have owned your business for several years, going back to school isn't that attractive. I could certainly use the knowledge, but it hasn't held me back from anything either (plenty of books out there, and unless you want to work for a big corp, most will be overkill).

If I had to do over again I'd go the B.Arch, then a MBA/MSRED (Columbia's looked nice).

Or maybe I'd just go for graphics/design/business...dunno, but arch as a profession doesn't look that promising for a long while.

Mar 2, 10 9:09 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: