Archinect
anchor

preferred stair angle of accent

go do it

as a contractor my general rule of thumb  to have a stair that is comfortable is to use a rise of 7" and a run of 11" producing an accent angle of 32.47. i was taught this by an old dog builder plus it is easy to remember 7/11.

without any complications what is most preferred angle of accent?

Mar 23, 14 7:17 pm
citizen

Ascent.

7:11 is comfortable, but takes more space than a steeper stair, obviously.  Many codes have disallowed steeper stairs, so it may be a moot point, depending upon the code in your jurisdiction.

Remember the good old days when you could still do 8:9 and a 30-inch width?  Now that was a functional, space-saving stair that saved many a compact floor plan...

Mar 23, 14 8:17 pm  · 
 · 

There is no standard angle, a comfortable stair is all about the relationship between rise and run.

2R + T = +/-25

7" rise x2 = 14, subtract from 25 = 11" tread

5" rise x2 = 10, subtract from 25 = 15" tread

Mar 23, 14 8:18 pm  · 
 · 
go do it

Thanks citizen... I always get angle and angel mixed up too.

Oh I know all of the relationships involved but I was hoping for a "if I had my druthers"

angle. I think that a long straight run set of stairs with low angle of ascent is kind of hot.

A laid back lazy look.   

Mar 23, 14 8:31 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

The only really low-angled stairs I've experienced are in public building lobby or plaza situations.  I don't like them if too low... they disrupt normal step-taking...

Mar 23, 14 9:05 pm  · 
 · 
chigurh

I like 6" risers and 12" treads...

It is a more generous feeling tread and not to steep of a stair and makes floor to floor dimensions fall in 6" increments which is nice.

Mar 23, 14 9:22 pm  · 
 · 
gruen
Miles, I like the rule of thumb but have always felt 8" rise / 9" run to feel steep, yet is common in residential and allowed here by code.
Mar 23, 14 11:12 pm  · 
 · 
go do it

here are a couple more rules/guidelines:

* the sum of 1 riser and 1 tread should equal 17 to 18 inches

* the product of 1 riser and 1 tread should equal  70 -75 inches

Mar 24, 14 12:29 am  · 
 · 
bowling_ball

Or, you could just take a look in the building code. Around here at least, the code dictates minimums and maximums for rise and run. It's not any more complicated than that. 7/11 ( or what should actually be called 11/7 ) is a pretty universal starting point.

Mar 24, 14 1:08 am  · 
 · 
randomized

I would suggest carrying a ruler with you at all times and just measure all the stairs that you feel comfortable walking up and down on. You may feel silly at first but after a while you'll discover your preferred angle.

Mar 24, 14 6:25 am  · 
 · 
threadkilla

I purchased a small pocket ruler just for the sort of activity randomized describes. People look at me like a total loon when they spot me doing this, but this way I know for a fact that most of my favourite stairs fall between the 4" rise/16" tread and 6" rise/12" tread...

Mar 24, 14 1:09 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: