Archinect
anchor

Windows 7 and AutoCAD 2009

zoolander

Greetings,

Im try to install autocad2009 on windows 7, but haven't been able to complete due to compatability issues.

Anyone experience similar problems?
Any solutions?

Thanks for any help,
Derek

Feb 26, 10 7:08 am
idiotwind

I have experienced the same problems. I am using windows 7 ultimate 64 bit and autocad 2010 32 bit won't install, even though I believe most 32 bit software is compatible with 64 bit os's, but not the other way around. I can't get the 64 bit version because it is not compatible with the 32 bit computers and plotters in the labs.

Do you have the 64 bit version of windows 7?

Feb 27, 10 12:55 am  · 
 · 
Zune

I also had the same problem installing autocad 2010 32 bit. I have windows 7 home premium 64 bit. I know that autodesk has windows service packs for most of the autocad programs. although I'm not sure about acad 2010. the funny thing is that i was able to install autocad 2007 32 bit on my computer. so far, it's running okay.

Feb 27, 10 6:24 pm  · 
 · 
Zune

Hello to all,

Being that I have windows 7 home premium I can't run the Windows XP mode. The XP Mode is only for Ultimate and higher editions.

With that said, have any of you tried this XP mode feature to run some of the 32bit programs that you had problems with in Win7?

Supposedly, you can run both the XP mode and Win7 as a virtual operating system. I'm just curious to see if anyone had any success with it before I think about upgrading to Professional or Ultimate edition.

I thank you for any info you can share on this matter.

Mar 11, 10 12:54 pm  · 
 · 
aquapura

I've heard about issues with Revit, but not Autocad. Using a "test" win7 machine but only running Microstation on it, which seems to work fine.

Mar 11, 10 1:21 pm  · 
 · 
rehiggins

I've got three machines in the office and one at home running Win7 x64--no problems with installing or running AutoCAD or Revit 2010.

I don't understand the issue with the x64 version of ACAD not being compatible with the 32 bit version--it's the same file type. We have a mixed 32/64 bit environment at the office and there isn't an issue with files across OSes. The issue is finding printer drivers for the x64 OS; that can be a bit tricky.

XP mode works great--it's a bit slow though and needs a fair amount of RAM to be practical. You also need a processor that supports hardware virtualization (boot into BIOS setup to check and enable). The slick thing is that you can have a shortcut to an XPmode program on your Win7 desktop that will run the program without booting up the full XP mode/window--the vitrual machine runs (somewhat) transparently.

Mar 11, 10 11:29 pm  · 
 · 
Kristain Hayes

AutoCad is not compatible with Windows 7. You should install AutoCad in compatibility mode for Vista SP1 per the system requirements from the product page.

Mar 21, 10 10:07 pm  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor

AutoCAD 2009 installed just fine on my windows 7. Make sure you get the 64-bit version of autocad if the OS is also 64-bit.

Mar 21, 10 10:37 pm  · 
 · 
zoolander

Yeah, i've apparently got the 32bit Cad2009 and it wont work.

Its the first i've heard of all this 32/64bit marlarky.

Why does 'advancement' always end up with much more hassle?

Derek

Mar 22, 10 8:13 am  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor

Derek, the 32-bit and 64-bit marlarky is actually, believe it or not, is a good thing. 64-bit operating systems can use more RAM, and hence better for graphics application.

Mar 22, 10 8:01 pm  · 
 · 
Kristain Hayes

Hello,
According to its system requirement, AutoCad is not compatible with Win 7. Install AutoCad in compatibility mode for Vista SP1 per the system requirements from the product page.

As this is third party software, I suggest contact Autocad support for direct assistance. You can also download the menu for self-reference.

Generally, the installation should contains the following:

Insert your AutoCAD disk
Click Start, Open Computer
Open the AutoCAD 09 disk

1. Right-click the exe. file and choose Properties.
2. Under the Compatibility tab, please check the "Run this program in compatibility mode for" and choose "Windows Vista".
3. Check the box before “Run this program as an Administrator” below.
4. Click OK to save the settings.
5. Follow the instruction to install the software, and test.

Kristain Hayes
Tech Support

Apr 19, 10 7:07 am  · 
 · 
zoolander

Has anyone successfully installed AutoCad 2009 on windows 7?

Apr 20, 10 3:36 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: