Archinect
anchor

Practical vs. Creative Design-Based Architecture Degree Programs

wakeyoureyes

I am currently employed as an Architectural Historian at an architecture firm that specializes in historic preservation projects. I have a BA in Anthropology (Archaeology) and MS in Historic Preservation. I am considering getting an MArch. for several reasons. I have learned that the type of work I am interested in doing (condition reports, restorations, retrofitting of historic buildings) pretty much requires a degree and license in architecture. Although my degree in preservation provided me with the skills necessary to assess building conditions and to understand how historic buildings were designed and constructed, I am missing the critical component of understanding how modern buildings are constructed. Sure, I can learn this as I work under the direction of an architect, but without the degree, I cannot be certified to do this type of work on my own. In order to eventually have my own firm and qualify for contracts with government agencies, individuals, and organizations, I need to be a certified architect. The problem is that I am not interested in creative modern design and I don't really feel that this is something I need to learn in order to pursue this type of career. I did my first year of my undergraduate education in architecture, including a first-year studio, and I was miserable. I am not interested in designing creative modern structures, I simply want to learn how buildings are built. Are all architecture studios focused on designing the most creative, cutting-edge design? Are there specific programs or schools that offer a MArch based on practical skills rather than creative design? Is there another route that I should consider that would lead to certification?

Feb 17, 10 12:18 pm
won and done williams

i'm confused - why do you need to be a registered architect to do historic preservation work? do you intend to stamp drawings for permits? this would be the only reason to get registered, and even then you can hire or partner with someone to do this. it sounds to me like instead of wanting to become an actual architect, all you really want to do is learn building construction. you do not need to be a registered architect to do this. you could take a course at a community college or simply read up on construction.

but if you still feel compelled to become an architect, and if i were you, i would go to the university of notre dame.

Feb 17, 10 12:39 pm  · 
 · 
ArchStaff_CXVI

Architectural Engineering Degree

Feb 17, 10 4:31 pm  · 
 · 
Distant Unicorn

Notre Dame or University of Miami.

Feb 17, 10 5:09 pm  · 
 · 
bRink

Yeah, Notre Dame and University of Miami are the traditional architecture schools... It is sort of funny that academia in architecture is so much tied to architectural *movements*... There does seem to be a particular stylistic or theoretical leaning in most schools...

Feb 18, 10 9:23 pm  · 
 · 
mugged

I would agree that miami has a good program for building technologies and systems. But I disagree about Notre Dame. Notre Dame is very classical based more on the history side of things then building construction.

University of Maryland has a good program based on the craft and construction of buildings as well as Clemson and Ohio State, although Ohio State is very much based in theory, too.

Im pretty positive Cincinnati, Virginia Tech, and UT-Austin are more systems and technology based as well although I'm not positive about vtech. Im sure there are plenty of other schools that are based this way as well.

Ultimately, you have to realize that while some schools teach more practical building tech vs. craft vs. theory or what have you they are all going to expect a certain level of creativity in design, especially in the studio courses. And I would be careful if you didn't like your first year undergrad arch studio because grad school is much more difficult and more vigorous then anything you would have gone through in that first year studio.

Feb 18, 10 10:06 pm  · 
 · 
TIQM

Notre Dame and Miami are indeed schools that teach traditional design, but they are highly design oriented, and don't necessarily fit the description of "a MArch based on practical skills rather than creative design."

I'd look for a school that is strong both in design and in technical background, and then tailor your program toward the technical side. Cal Poly, San Luis Obispo in California comes to mind.

Feb 19, 10 1:02 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: