Archinect
anchor

What's the best way to display construction details in a website?

suweiyin

I would like to upload some CAD images to my website. I've tried all kinds of ways such as making a PDF and print screen, print screen directly from AutoCAD and saving images in a variety of formats like Tif, Jpeg, Jpg, Png, Bmp. I'm not totally satisfied with the look. Does anyone have a dirty trick they'd like to share with me? Thanks in advance.

Feb 16, 10 9:19 pm
bRink

1. Print to PDF

2. Open the PDF in photoshop. That will rasterize it (make it pixel graphics like a photo)... It will prompt you for a resolution... You can use a relatively high res when you rasterize it... say 150 or 300 dpi should be okay...

3. Flatten the Image. This will make it have a white background.

4. Make the bounding box around the part of the drawing you want to post to your website... using the marquee tool, and then crop it... (image --> crop)...

5. Save it using: File --> Save for Web & Devices... This will save it as a .gif file for your website...

Feb 16, 10 9:57 pm  · 
 · 
suweiyin

Thanks bRink for your helpful advice. I just have one small problem...I don't have Photoshop. I'm really lacking with some resources and I still do all of my renderings in AutoCad 2010...I know it'a kinda sad.

Feb 16, 10 10:05 pm  · 
 · 
LB_Architects

Download Gimp.

Feb 16, 10 10:15 pm  · 
 · 
bRink

I would probably...

1. Print to PDF

2. Open it in Adobe Acrobat then and save as JPEG... (I think acrobat can save as JPEG...) That will rasterize it...

3. Open the JPEG in Paint (which comes with windows)...

4. Crop it in Paint if it needs cropping... Or rescale as needed...

5. Use Paint to save it as a .GIF

Feb 16, 10 10:21 pm  · 
 · 
suweiyin

Thanks FP, I'm downloading that right now.

Feb 16, 10 10:22 pm  · 
 · 
suweiyin

I'll certainly give that a try bRink.

Feb 16, 10 10:24 pm  · 
 · 

could open it as pdf in illustrator then save as transparent background raster image

Feb 16, 10 10:33 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

i always import DWG into illustrator so i can get scale of lines right. and then export as jpg (uh, i think - it's been a few months since i've used anything other than email or autocad... yikes)

Feb 16, 10 11:02 pm  · 
 · 
suweiyin

FP,
Now I'm totally addicted to Gimp. I just spent the last 40 minutes trying out all the tools. Let me get back on track with my original issue.

holz.boz,
Totally understand what your saying. I use Mtext to write and edit my emails...it's very sad.

Feb 16, 10 11:14 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: