Archinect
anchor

something positive about architecure....

dsc_arch
bRink

Like this:

"What would you like to see happen in your field?

When people lose their houses after an earthquake we don't see architects there because they are too busy working for the privileged. I think we have to include them in working in disaster areas. Also, we [architects] are responsible for disasters. After an earthquake, when a building collapses and people are killed, it is not because of earthquake itself but because of the structure of the building. That is the responsibility of an architect."
What innovative disaster relief solutions would be appropriate for Haiti?

Also see:http://designlikeyougiveadamn.architectureforhumanity.org/

Feb 16, 10 6:47 pm  · 
 · 
jesus.saves

I am telling you, urban desity may not be a good thing! Codes would be much more lax if things werent so dense.
But, I do like the thought about thinking positive about architecture.

Feb 16, 10 6:51 pm  · 
 · 
jesus.saves

sorry - density

Feb 16, 10 6:57 pm  · 
 · 
Philarch

bRink - When I read this, I didn't get the impression of creative disaster relief solutions that are necessarily creative in form (i.e. creativity in deployment, application, reuse, etc). Above all that, it shouldn't be creativity for the sake of being creative - which I think too much of architects' time could be wasted.

I also took it in a different way, in terms of emergency response to disasters. So not limited to rebuilding after disasters or even building of temporary structures, but surveying of existing structures that are being used perhaps to see if they were compromised, and etc. While some of you may think this is structural (and in a way, it is especially after an earthquake), architects can have more than adequate knowledge after proper training.

Feb 17, 10 9:54 am  · 
 · 
bRink

It's sort of like preventative medicine vs the ER... Agreed, I don't think it is an "aesthetic" innovation necessarily, more building systems and innovative structural systems for cost effective and immediate construction... Design to protect buildings against future disasters also... But I think also as ideas people I think this kind of engagement in disaster relief technology and design is something positive we can contribute as well...

Feb 17, 10 1:16 pm  · 
 · 
jesus.saves

so how on God's green earth do organizations like Architecture for Humanity get into places like Haiti so quickly?
do they have insider connections?

Feb 18, 10 12:16 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: