Archinect
anchor

HELP...a Revit question

The default call out bubble in Revit is square....but the area I want to call out is not. How do I change the shape of the call out bubble to, lets say, an L shape, etc... I cant figure this out!. Thanks

Feb 10, 10 12:43 pm
ihearthepavilion

unless something has changed in 2010, you can't do that in 2009. I simply use the rectangular call out bubble and then in the detail itself you can use masking regions to mask out what you want.

Feb 10, 10 12:45 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

doesn't exist, you have to fake one in.

Feb 10, 10 12:46 pm  · 
 · 
TaliesinAGG

thats hilarious, I mean...OK..we have this powerful BIM software that can 3D model the building and site, and integrate the work of all the trades....yet they couldnt figure out how to change a square into an L shape..

Feb 10, 10 12:53 pm  · 
 · 

A little rumor bird (a very reliable rumor bird) told me that the option for custom callout bubbles is available in the 2011 beta.

Feb 10, 10 1:33 pm  · 
 · 
postal

taliesin, that flawed logic is rampant...

instead of fixing simple added functionality that you speak of, they add a conceptual modeling tool and crap... it's frustrating for those of us who are trying to be productive now in revit...

we'll see how long it takes autodesk to get through the giant list of wishlist items...

but i say, why fake it? i understand the desire to make a good looking set, but you have to live with a couple of the buggery crap things revit does, otherwise you undermine its premise and productivity (like you cant hyperlink to your view from a fake tag)

Feb 10, 10 1:41 pm  · 
 · 
TaliesinAGG

Yeah...still working on the whole "productivity" thang with Revit. Thanks everyone for the help...very much appreciated!

Feb 10, 10 1:57 pm  · 
 · 

In 2010 they made a terrible move by overhauling the interface to match the rest of the Autodesk line (the navigation ribbon...) there were practically NO upgrades to the functionality of the product.

Since the software is relatively 'new'. (Autodesk purchased Revit in 2002) there have been incremental changes in each release that have helped tremendously. 2011 is rumored to be a release heavy on functionality upgrades.

I am not trying to defend Autodesk here, anyone with a lick of sense knows that they have neglected to introduce many elements that users are used to having in AutoCAD. This is especially evident in issues like the callout bubble and others having to do with graphic standards.

Have you ever tried to use 'linked views' in any elevations??? there's a great example of destroyed functionality.

I encounter dozens of complaints daily about flaws in Revit-Logic.

Feb 10, 10 1:57 pm  · 
 · 
ff33º

HAHA Taliesen, your cynicism is rather entertaining.

Feb 10, 10 2:46 pm  · 
 · 
TaliesinAGG

Well, Revit was very frustrating for me to get going on. I am getting better, and I have begun to enjoy its many benefits, but some of the obvious omissions just bug the hell out of me.
I'm trying to stay positive, and not speak my mind to much, because some on here really let me have it when I do.
Especially now, when we are fortunate to have work, I want to be efficient, and sometimes the tool lacks efficiency. I am fortunate that these school projects are nothing like my past life in commercial Architecture. The due dates are realistic. In commercial, the expectations were just insane, and if I had to do them Revit I would be screwed.
But like everything...the more I do it, the better I get. I hope my wife agrees.....

Feb 10, 10 2:58 pm  · 
 · 
ff33º

I feel your pain. Taliessen, I am not quick to defend though. I understand it is full of shortcomings. However, I will say that I havent opened cad in over 5yrs. Its been Revit by brute force.

Feb 10, 10 3:55 pm  · 
 · 
rethinkit

TaliesenAGG

Where I used to work, If I had to do commercial projects with "insane expectations" with Autocad, I really would be screwed. Like I would have been fired months before I got laid off - Revit was the only way to implement changes as they occured. Revit makes the impossible possible - You pretty much have to lobotomize autocad + or Rhino/autocad non-BIM approaches out of your mind then learn learn BIM - then it makes sense. I used to user Maya and Autocad and got tired of the all-nighters in school - so I learned Revit. I think my being basically lazy drives me to learn to technology to avoid having my sleep compromised. At any rate, you will get better in time. At least you are still working -

Feb 10, 10 4:38 pm  · 
 · 
TaliesinAGG

rethinkit.....knowing what I know now, up to this point, I guess i would have to agree with you. Many of the commercial projects I did for 12 years were much less demanding in many ways than these school modernizations.

Feb 10, 10 5:00 pm  · 
 · 
mr_minnesota

revit is for monkeys

Feb 10, 10 8:11 pm  · 
 · 
IlazyMexican

I enjoyed being a monkey. I got CD's done quickly and during CA I was able to manage multiple revisions and get reports out to track when something changed. Also having the geometry modeled made it easy to do renderings in Max and helped speed things up for energy models.

The inability to change the shape of the callout was a minor inconvenience. Just fake it with drafting lines after making the plan view...but why not make all rooms rectangular so monkeys have an easier life.

Feb 10, 10 9:16 pm  · 
 · 
TheRevitKid

The callout bubble represents the extents of the views. Until Revit allows view custom view clipping (like making an 'L' shape) then making an L shaped callout bubble would do nothing.

The restrictions lie in the nature of the software. The BIM (database) foundation of the software, right now, is what limits some of the customization. The fact that the program is parametrically driven and is based off of one building model adds restrictions to these things, right now. Hopefully, and we all know the wish list items, Autodesk will rework many of the restrictions.

Nerdy, if Revit is for monkeys, then what would you say AutoCAD is for? ACtually having to build the building virtually requires quite a bit more knowledge than fudging a stair case in section on CAD in order to make it work...for now.

Personally, I find the flaws in Revit to be minor and not effect productivity at all. Being honest, I would say a majority of the flaws effect the look of the drawings. I will be the first to admit there are certain things in Revit that are just a pain in the ass to get to look good in an elevation or plan view. Once that is fixed, golden.

-Jeff
www.TheRevitKid.com

Feb 12, 10 9:20 am  · 
 · 
jzahner

Easy fix to keep it linked to the view and make it whatever shape you want.

1st. create the view - square
2nd - hide the callout in your plan
3rd - make a new callout with a very small callout region and sim the original view.

4. - since the callout region is very small you then can create a line type to match the callout bubbles and turn chain and radius on to match your other callout default radii.

5. done. now if you move that view from sheet to sheet, it is still linked.

Mar 30, 10 11:50 pm  · 
 · 
marlowe

@jzaher: This is brilliant. Thanks.

Mar 31, 10 4:21 pm  · 
 · 
jzahner

Not bad for my first post. I had to come out like a firecracker.

Mar 31, 10 4:44 pm  · 
 · 
OneLostArchitect

might want to ask the folks on www.revitcity.com

those guys know the ins and outs

Mar 31, 10 4:54 pm  · 
 · 
Spencedawg

Do you guys think that Revit will take over for 3rd party plan check?

Mar 31, 10 5:16 pm  · 
 · 
brer

no, there's more to plan checking than intradiscipline coordination review

Apr 1, 10 8:36 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: