Archinect
anchor

richest architects?

So who are the richest starchitects/ceo of megafirm out there & past?

Foster?
Gehry?
Zaha?
Portman?
Piano?
Conran?
Jerde?
Gruen?
Arup?

Does Brad Pitt count?

What about the folks that get published in architectural digest?

Feb 1, 10 2:48 pm
Urbanist

There are also firms like Tod Williams' superb atelier (TWBTA), where the principals are independently wealthy, for non-architectural reasons.. allowing them to take on only choice commissions.

I really doubt we belong on your list, Barry.. I never thought of our principals as being wealthy.

Feb 1, 10 2:58 pm  · 
1  · 
Cherith Cutestory

who cares?

Feb 1, 10 3:13 pm  · 
1  · 
They've gone to plaid!

Fernando Romero of LAR is filthy, but not from architecture.

Feb 1, 10 3:21 pm  · 
 · 
rethinkit

Jonathan Segal in San Diego - He is a developer and architect

http://www.architectasdeveloper.com/about.html

Feb 1, 10 3:41 pm  · 
 · 
file

John Portman

Feb 1, 10 4:26 pm  · 
 · 
wahwoah™

Brad Pitt has no license, therefore I would consider him a lucky man who is rich enough to pay people to let him help design.

Feb 1, 10 5:44 pm  · 
 · 
snook_dude

I would say the richest non-architect..architect has to be Prince Charles. He is way ahead of Brad in the wealth market, he even had a nice looking lady once upon a time.

Feb 1, 10 7:42 pm  · 
 · 
Urbanist

Prince Charles' oeuvre of (reactionary) urban planning: Poundbury:

Feb 1, 10 8:32 pm  · 
 · 

I forgot about chuck! hmmm, Wonder if Andres Duany has milked the CNU for all its worth.

this topic came up while discussing pro practice with a colleague and I figured it would be a good thread - not that I care or expect to get into the league of gehry or foster...

Feb 1, 10 9:13 pm  · 
 · 
montagneux

Snook, Prince Charles' net worth is only somewhere around 40-60 million USD. Even if the number I remember is in pounds and is the higher number, Prince Charles' net worth is around 96 million USD.

Brad Pitt's net worth is between 150-180 million USD.

Yearly income... Brad Pitt makes between 25-35 million USD versus Prince Charles recent record breaking deal of 29 million USD.

Other than widespread use of EIFS and gaudy post-modern ideology, I see nothing wrong is Poundbury. I wouldn't really be calling it reactionary either considering modernism was a reactionary ideology to European traditionalism and this is a traditional European town.

Those parkways are kind of ghastly though.

Feb 1, 10 9:24 pm  · 
 · 
babs
"Prince Charles' net worth is only somewhere around 40-60 million USD."

Maybe so, but what happens when dear ol' Mummy dies? Isn't she the richest woman in the world? Certainly that'll put a few pounds in Chuck's pocket.

Feb 1, 10 10:56 pm  · 
 · 
Janosh

I think it is cute when people design medieval village that make their aristocratic titles seem less anachronistic.

But seriously - I don't think that Prince Charles can be the world's richest architect because he is already the world's richest watercolourist:

Is Art Gensler still alive? That dude must have made dozens!

Feb 1, 10 11:48 pm  · 
 · 

the Royals are not measured by $$; the queen's face is on over 50 currencies, and is the head of state for about 150... it's about power... real power... money can't buy that.

Foster in 2007 was the uk's highest paid architect earning 2m a year. This does not include his other earnings however

Feb 1, 10 11:55 pm  · 
 · 
snook_dude

monte.....but brad doesn't have the jewels and art treasurers that the royal family holds. That is the difference. I think Charles is worth alot more than we will ever know even if he is a lousy Prince Architect.

Feb 2, 10 1:47 pm  · 
 · 
montagneux

The art and jewels no longer belong to the royals.

Feb 2, 10 6:52 pm  · 
 · 
outed

doesn't this discussion depend on whether or not we're talking about architects who have made their money as the professionals or which architects happen to be wealthy (whether from family or whatever).

for example, graham gund (principal of gund partnership) came from family money. now, my guess is his firm has done quite well over the years and he's been involved in real estate, art, etc. so, he's made quite a bit of money through those ventures. i don't have the first clue to his net worth, nor do i think it matters, but he's certainly got to be up there on the list.

Feb 2, 10 10:27 pm  · 
 · 
Wood Guy

I used to work as a carpenter in Graham Gund's neighborhood and once fixed his sliding glass door. Bastard never paid.

Oops, old post. My comment stands...

May 12, 21 1:35 pm  · 
2  · 
msudon

I am interested in the flip-side: the most well-known name attached to the smallest amount; though bad business or scale, whichever

Feb 2, 10 10:50 pm  · 
 · 

Lots of folks have gone bankrupt including Aurthur Erickson along the way. Lots of firms have recently shut down including some large well known practices.

Feb 3, 10 1:34 pm  · 
 · 
snook_dude

monte.....you got me there...think his jewels belong to Mrs Camile.

Feb 3, 10 8:03 pm  · 
 · 
Justin Ather Maud

Rafael Vinole used to advertise a "pilot" on his web site.

Feb 3, 10 8:27 pm  · 
 · 
msudon

barry-I am imagine that to be true, I guess I am more curious about who makes the most noise and does the least business

Feb 3, 10 10:54 pm  · 
 · 
otis151

Vinoly does indeed have a pilot and his own plane. There is a space for the pilot to log flight time and jet fuel on the general employee time sheet at RVA.

Feb 4, 10 12:20 am  · 
 · 
natematt

A small associate firm I worked with had their own plane and one of the Architects was the co-pilot. They had found it as a reasonable cost measure for the travel they had to do back and forth on particular work.

Moral of the story, not always an indicator of intense wealth 

Vinoly probably has a nicer plane though... 

May 12, 21 3:01 pm  · 
 · 
tduds

A plane, while not exactly cheap and certainly wasteful, is a lot less expensive than most people would expect.

May 12, 21 3:45 pm  · 
1  · 
JLC-1

the PE on one of my projects flies to CO meetings, a small piper for a 90 mile round trip.

May 12, 21 3:50 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

I have a client who just purchased a helicopter to fly between their houses/businesses.

May 12, 21 4:01 pm  · 
 · 
jacquesakajackgerber

What about Gensler?

May 12, 21 2:12 am  · 
 · 
randomised

He’s dead

May 12, 21 3:46 am  · 
2  ·  1
whistler

Tis a flesh w ound

May 13, 21 7:27 pm  · 
 · 
monosierra

Charles Luckman had an interesting career: From successful CEO of a major American company that has nothing to do with architecture, then retiring to become a successful commercial architect. 

May 12, 21 8:48 am  · 
 · 

As if money was the measure of anything meaningful ... <sigh>

May 12, 21 12:45 pm  · 
 · 
tduds

Having money's not everything, not having it is.

May 12, 21 12:53 pm  · 
 · 

Our incomes are like our shoes; if too small, they gall and pinch us; but if too large, they cause us to stumble and to trip.

May 12, 21 7:43 pm  · 
3  · 
bowling_ball

Miles - spoken like somebody who's always had it. No, you can't buy happiness, but you can rent it. Speaking from experience, it sure takes the edge off.

May 12, 21 10:23 pm  · 
1  · 

Funny. While in grammar school (PS 6 in Manhattan) I lived in a closet in my father's 2-room ground floor office. I remember coming "home" to find an eviction notice under the door, and taking the subway with my father down to the AT&T building to pay the bill before the phone got turned off.

May 12, 21 11:05 pm  · 
3  · 

A big night out was Tad's Steak house. 

So keep talking as if you know something about me and I'll keep pretending you're not a condescending asshole.

May 12, 21 11:20 pm  · 
1  · 
apkouv

If you had it easy all your life, you cannot empathize with those who worked hard and earned it (Money, architect's title etc)

May 13, 21 8:51 am  · 
 · 
bowling_ball

Apparently that hit a little too close to home, eh Miles?

May 13, 21 9:12 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Apk, the only thing you work hard at is chirping at Miles... and even there you've offered nothing of substance.

May 13, 21 9:13 am  · 
 · 

Those who anonymously snipe from the shadows don't have the balls or intgrity to face a man directly. It's a sad commentary on a number of things but mostly upon themselves.

May 13, 21 9:48 am  · 
2  · 
tduds

The Miles criticism here is unwarranted, y'all. I expect it from apkouv since its their entire personality, but b_b, wtf?

May 13, 21 11:23 am  · 
 · 

bowling_ball - how else would you expect someone to respond when they grew up poor and you said that they lead a privileged life? All you're doing is making assumptions about someone's past because it fits your opinions. Basically you're being a douche.

May 13, 21 11:47 am  · 
 · 

apkouv / Jay1122 - don't be a such a coward. If you're going to attempt to talk shit about someone be an adult. Don't try to hide behind two anonymous profiles.

May 13, 21 11:49 am  · 
 · 
Jay1122

go fk urself Chad. Why did you bring me into the fight. I love seeing you guys battle it out. That miles is a shortsighted narrow minded dick. Of course he is gonna offend people. But I don't waste time with narrow minded dick like miles. Fking leave me out of it. Stop protecting your old forum buddy too much. I don't see anything wrong with BB's comment.

May 13, 21 11:53 am  · 
 · 
Jay1122

Chad, its just so funny and ironic how you laugh at BB assuming someone's past based on opinion and calling him douche. And immediately assume that apkouv is my 2nd profile based on your opinion. Man you are douche to a level. How much is the rich miles paying you to support him. It is paid per post or duration?

May 13, 21 12:12 pm  · 
 · 
tduds

Suspiciously quick response.

May 13, 21 12:13 pm  · 
 · 
Jay1122

Nah, you know I am always around in the forum browsing. But I only reply to posts of interest. Only brought in because of Chad. Anyway leave me out of it. Go resume your dick battle. I honestly give 0 fucks.

May 13, 21 12:15 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

I see it's a slow day in Jay's dead-end generic box production office. This will be fun.

May 13, 21 12:19 pm  · 
 · 
Jay1122

Well it is lunch time. So I do have some time to spare. Although not as much time as you guys wasted here. You titans made up half of the posts in this forum. I don't even know how you guys have all those times to post in this forum if you are so successful with your "creative" projects.

May 13, 21 12:20 pm  · 
 · 
tduds

ADHD.

May 13, 21 12:32 pm  · 
 · 

Jay - I don't know Miles and he's no my 'buddy'. You really seem to dislike the man though. I suspect it's because he doesn't agree with you about architectural theory. I do think that you and apkouv are the same person because of you both dump on Miles for not being an architect. You both have said that his opinions don't matter because he's not licensed. I find that odd as you're not licensed yet you expect us to respect your opinions.

You want to cast shade on other work?  Post up some of your design work then and show us how it's supposed to be done.

Go on.  Post up.  

May 13, 21 12:38 pm  · 
 · 
Jay1122

Wow wow wow, when did I said he is not licensed and opinion does not even matter. And when did I laughed at his work? His middle finger craft to me is pretty good. Dude, stop making stuff up to make me look bad. I don't even know how old that miles is or what job he does. But I do think he is a jerk. Even when I was reading an archinect article back in 2016, his comment is a typical arrogant douche one. But I honestly don't care. He can be whatever jerk he wants to be as long as he does not reply his douche comment to my post. Just leave me out of it. And you know I work in a generic box making office that NS is using to diss me. I wouldn't be here if im doing "creative" architecture projects.

May 13, 21 12:52 pm  · 
 · 

Yes you have said that. Not that you'd remember. You said yourself that you don't recall what you post from hour to hour. 

Post any of your design work.  Academic, theoretical, it's all relevant.  Hell, post up your design sketches, renderings, or details.  

Go on.  Post up. 

May 13, 21 12:56 pm  · 
 · 
Jay1122

I don't know dude. are you sure you didn't get mixed up? Because I seriously don't know Mile's background. Neither do I care. Anyway, Just leave me out of your dick battles. I am not going to try to help educate you guys. Made that mistake last time. Hey if you think you won. let it be. I know you are the arrogant type, Chad. And you always love to be the one finishing the post to feel like you won. Like last time you proved to me. so go ahead.

May 13, 21 1:00 pm  · 
 · 

I'm not mistaken.

Now post up any of your work.  You say you're such a good designer.  Come on Jay, show us how it's supposed to be done.

May 13, 21 1:03 pm  · 
 · 
Jay1122

Ah Chad. you've fallen again. And you are spreading wrong information again. And I would never say I am a good designer. That I can guarantee you. It is against my philosophy on architecture. There are no good or bad, only different choices and preferences with different focuses based on difference circumstances. The evaluation of such work should not be a simple good/bad. And even the word "design" is something I do not like to use much. That word is too generic, some people think picking room paint colors and finishes is design. Anyway, It is you that think I said I am a good designer with your personal opinion that I am someone arrogant who would say that. But whatever dude. I am out. Posting work does not do anything. In front of hostility. Even Prizker winning work will be viewed as trash. Also, it takes skill to see architecture beyond pretty pictures. You can only see as much as your paradigm allows.

May 13, 21 1:16 pm  · 
 · 

Jay - you have commented here many time about what your view of real design is.  You've then gone on to say that you could teach us all about real design.

I think that is you saying you're a good designer.  Also it contradicts your entire line of thinking about using the word designer.  

May 13, 21 1:24 pm  · 
 · 
Jay1122

wow dude when did I said doing CA work as not being real architects. I am doing a bunch of CA right now. And building code? That thing is like coordination of MEP systems. Part of the job. Many ways to get it done. But it is not the main drive force of Architecture. Jesus, you are such jerk keep spreading wrong information. Ah whatever, must be your new tactic. I am not gonna get pulled in. 

Ah, I see that you edited the comments off because clearly it is too loose to have a basis. Meh whatever.

May 13, 21 1:29 pm  · 
 · 

You told NS that he wasn't a real designer and didn't have any talent because all he did was CA. Just because you can't remember what you've written here doesn't mean that others aren't able to.

Honestly I think it's just that your so arrogant that you think your current views / options are the only correct interpretation.  Unfortunately you're so inexperienced that often you're talking out of your ass. 

May 13, 21 1:32 pm  · 
 · 
Jay1122

Ah whatever, break is over. Go ahead and finish the post, and you've "won" again. What a fking douche just have to drag me into the mud.

May 13, 21 1:34 pm  · 
 · 

Look back at your post history.

May 13, 21 1:36 pm  · 
 · 
Jay1122

I bet it is your typical copy a middle of the sentence, distort the view and "imply" the meaning, putting word on other's mouth strategy. Have seen you done that many times. And seriously, stop trying to drag NS into the mud. Man, I just have to put you troll on ignore. Wish there is a blacklist feature on this forum. Don't want the troll to see my post or reply to mine. Successfully got baited today. And go ahead, finish the post again. I know arrogant guy like you have to finish.

May 13, 21 1:49 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Gents (assuming), don’t bother me while a drink my delicious beer (while getting paid) in the sunshine.

May 13, 21 2:00 pm  · 
1  · 

NS - Only if you promise not to bother me while I try to get this office addition to not look like burning garbage.

May 13, 21 2:19 pm  · 
1  · 

Jay - from your response I take it you found the post I'm referring to and are now trying to cover yourself. Good luck with that. Oh and I'm not trolling you. I'm just calling out your behavior.

May 13, 21 2:22 pm  · 
 · 
Jay1122

Don't worry, I did not check my post history. Neither do I give a fk about what I said. This is random internet posts, not some architecture manifestos. Why don't you waste time and browse through the chat history to shove it to me. See if I give a fk. Ah. engaged troll again. But at this point, I am just curious on how strong is your arrogant last post wins argument desire. Go prove me wrong.

May 13, 21 3:20 pm  · 
 · 

Not trolling you. Just letting you contradict yourself . . . Have fun.

May 13, 21 3:39 pm  · 
 · 
bowling_ball

*whistles and walks away slowly*

May 13, 21 9:42 pm  · 
 · 

Oh no you don't, get back here BB. :P

May 14, 21 10:11 am  · 
 · 
bowling_ball

I'm here! Just finishing up a terrible but fun round of golf. Because that's what I'm expected to do now.

May 14, 21 6:04 pm  · 
 · 
randomised

Golfing with bowling balls, now that’s a sport I’d be into!

May 15, 21 2:14 pm  · 
1  · 

Dang, what type of driver to do you use to hit a six pound bowling ball!?

May 18, 21 10:02 am  · 
 · 
randomised

A Minnie Driver

May 18, 21 3:31 pm  · 
 · 

I'm rich in experience.  :P

May 12, 21 12:46 pm  · 
 · 

That and $2 will get you a cup of coffee.

May 12, 21 12:48 pm  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

$2 for a cup of coffee? In 2021? Where are you, Delhi?

May 12, 21 12:50 pm  · 
2  · 
tduds

He never said *good* coffee.

May 12, 21 12:51 pm  · 
2  · 
SneakyPete

That's very true.

May 12, 21 12:55 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

he never specified the cup size

May 12, 21 12:56 pm  · 
 · 

I'm a solid B cup.

May 12, 21 1:05 pm  · 
 · 

I get fresh roast (daily) fresh ground for $2 (12 oz, plus $1 refills). Plus I can walk there in minutes. Haven't been to FourBucks in years and years, It's probably FiveBucks now for the same 'tall' 10oz. stale burnt sludge.

May 12, 21 7:41 pm  · 
 · 
tduds

a large (sorry, "Venti") drip coffee at Starbucks is $1.95.

May 12, 21 8:45 pm  · 
 · 

I don't drink coffee.

May 13, 21 10:40 am  · 
 · 

Net worth as of 2018 . . . .

Foster - $200 million

Gehry - $100 million 

Zaha - $0 dead 

Portman - $20 million 

Piano - $20 million 

Conran - $85 million 

Jerde - $0 dead 

Gruen - $37 million 

Arup - $0 dead

May 12, 21 12:53 pm  · 
 · 
JLC-1

moshe safdie - 150 m

May 12, 21 1:51 pm  · 
1  · 

It's also their net worth - NOT assets. In addition who knows what's happened since 2018.

May 12, 21 2:01 pm  · 
 · 
natematt

"Zaha - $0 dead 

Jerde - $0 dead 

Arup - $0 dead"

Brutal.... 

May 12, 21 2:59 pm  · 
 · 

You can't take it with you . . .

Now their legacy and contributions to architecture are quite valuable. 

May 12, 21 3:33 pm  · 
2  · 
JLC-1

those are the ones we know of, I wonder about saudis and russians, and some chinese as well.

May 12, 21 1:52 pm  · 
 · 
monosierra

I remember this Texan architect whose firm owns some kind of copyright over a generic-looking rest stop or some form of middle-of-the-road commercial architectural type being bandied as the wealthiest architect around. Basically his firm pumps out those buildings like products. It'd have to take industrial-scale production for an architect to achieve true wealth.

May 12, 21 4:59 pm  · 
1  · 

eat your heart out bitches

May 13, 21 1:00 pm  · 
5  · 
Non Sequitur

Could not afford a custom paint job on that GT? Peasant.

May 13, 21 1:24 pm  · 
 · 
JLC-1

and the hampton's mansion? off limits?

May 13, 21 3:16 pm  · 
 · 

You think I have just one?

May 13, 21 4:21 pm  · 
2  · 
Non Sequitur

I require a light switch for scale tho.

May 13, 21 4:31 pm  · 
1  · 

Are you thinking that Miles is only 3 3/4" tall?

May 13, 21 4:45 pm  · 
 · 
JLC-1

I saw that car in an auction website, going for 86k now, 4 days left.

May 13, 21 11:21 pm  · 
 · 

interesting - a lot depends on how you frame the question: for example, one of the only legit billionaires i'm friends with in this world is an architect, both by education and licensure. however, he's a billionaire not by practicing but by leaving the profession to take over his family's business (which happens to be one of the three largest shipping companies in the nordic bloc). he did build his family's winery however. 

if we're talking 'practicing' architect, then does that exclude developers? architects who do development on the side (a substantial source of gehry's early wealth)? does andrew luck merit a place on this list (an architectural graduate)? Miguel McKelvey count (a co-founder of we-work)?

if it's confined to architects making a substantial portion of their net worth via their practices (and not getting lucky by picking up bitcoin 10 years ago), then sir norman has to be high on that list. 

May 16, 21 9:22 pm  · 
1  · 
midlander

so is your billionaire friend the guy responsible for this fad of shipping container houses everywhere? :)

May 17, 21 3:08 am  · 
2  · 
midlander

a good comparison though would be how many lawyers, doctors, accountants, software engineers, or civil engineers are wealthy through the practice of their professions? i'd suspect very few. big wealth is usually a matter of owning big businesses.

May 17, 21 3:11 am  · 
 · 
tduds

The best way to become a billionaire is to be born with it.

May 17, 21 12:07 pm  · 
2  · 
sameolddoctor

Miguel is lucky to not be in jail

May 17, 21 12:48 pm  · 
 · 

behind every great fortune is a great crime

May 17, 21 12:53 pm  · 
4  · 

@mid - absolutely....

May 17, 21 4:11 pm  · 
1  · 
x-jla

basically me.  I just bought a boat!  Brand spanking new!  It’s still In the box...just have to blow it up...

May 18, 21 1:31 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

I'm rich in wit and history.  Does that count?

I'll just see myself out....

May 18, 21 2:48 pm  · 
 · 

Once I see your wit I'll let you know how much it's worth. :: bah - da - du - ching::

May 18, 21 3:24 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

Ouch!

May 18, 21 4:03 pm  · 
 · 

Oh come now. You walked right into that one.  :P

May 18, 21 5:17 pm  · 
1  · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: