Archinect
anchor

Maya vs 3DS Max

mark lower

compared these two, in Modeling, the ability to extract 2D drawings out of models (e.g. sections), Rendering, how well it could be incorporated into a workflow involving other 3D and 2D softwares (e.g. Rhino, Illustrator, CAD) and Animation

do not give consideration to cost or anything unrelated to the software's performance.

Thanks

Jan 25, 10 11:57 pm
AquillatheNun

navisworks

Jan 26, 10 9:46 pm  · 
 · 
rob(E)

i have great maya rhino work flow...but that's just me never used max. I assume you're talking about modeling in polygons, i hate nurbs in maya i do all that in rhino, i do my poly stuff in maya...great modeling, rendering and animation tool. sick history.

Jan 27, 10 2:34 pm  · 
 · 
wakiko

have u tried eon's Vue...its awesome, i higly recommend it

Jan 27, 10 7:48 pm  · 
 · 
ff33º

vue 8 looks pretty cool. I wonder if it is hard to learn.

As for Maya vs Max..Man you gotta know both. I just learn Maya this year and it i so fun to use...but Architects needs to know MAX period.

Jan 28, 10 7:18 pm  · 
 · 
otis151

Maya vs Max can be summed up in one simple statement...Maya does hard things easy and easy things are hard to do. You can make a crazy looking blob and manipulate it in 100 different ways in maya but drawing a straight line is a serious pain in the ass. 3d max is typically utilized for rendering and photorealism in the professional world so this is essential to learn. Maya is great animation and more cutting edge form making. 3d max works better with rhino in dwg exchange format while maya can be difficult to go crossplatform and maintain workable geometry (although it is possible with some workarounds). Conclusion, ff33 is right, you need to know both because they do different things. When approaching different projects, one software might be more appropriate than the other depending on the nature of the form and the final objective...rendering, animation ect.

Jan 29, 10 9:38 pm  · 
 · 
LML

I would be curious to know how just the animation components compare between these two. I have a bit of experience w/ max...

Jan 31, 10 7:25 pm  · 
 · 
ichweiB

maya vector render is great

Feb 1, 10 12:15 pm  · 
 · 
Urbanist

good summary Otis. different tools for different purposes. You paint realistic 3d flora in maya but you can't loft simple orthogonal geometries nearly as easily as you can in 3dsm.

I generally start with autocad as my first project mgmt platform, for any given task, then shift to 3ds max as my second project mgmt platform, taking stuff in and out as required, into maya and other platforms, for specialized manipulations.

Feb 1, 10 1:48 pm  · 
 · 
Cherith Cutestory

Actually if you know what you are doing, Maya can do just about anything pretty easily, including loft, nurbs, etc. And the exchange between Maya and Rhino, although not perfect, can easily take care of the few things that Maya might be slightly deficient on (namely dimensioning). Add to that the array of rendering plug-ins available (Mental Ray, Maxwell, V-Ray, Renderman) I'm really wondering how "essential" 3D Studio Max really is? I have never touched the program and don't really plan on it. I can only learn so many programs and Max ranks somewhere way down on the list.

A lot of it comes down to what you are exposed to in school/work.

Feb 1, 10 3:19 pm  · 
 · 
Cherith Cutestory

Actually if you know what you are doing, Maya can do just about anything pretty easily, including loft, nurbs, etc. And the exchange between Maya and Rhino, although not perfect, can easily take care of the few things that Maya might be slightly deficient on (namely dimensioning). Add to that the array of rendering plug-ins available (Mental Ray, Maxwell, V-Ray, Renderman) I'm really wondering how "essential" 3D Studio Max really is? I have never touched the program and don't really plan on it. I can only learn so many programs and Max ranks somewhere way down on the list.

A lot of it comes down to what you are exposed to in school/work.

Feb 1, 10 3:19 pm  · 
 · 
rethinkit

I have used Both Maya and Max. With Revit 2010, you can create conceptual massing forms in many ways similar to Maya, then apply walls and other architectural elements to create your architectural project directly from your massing/conceptual forms. This way, you can make changes to your conceptual mass forms, then update your architectural elements to follow the changes. This approach allows a more flexible non-linear approach to the architectural design as upposed to the more linear approach to model in Maya, Max, or Rhino then export to SAT. then trace over in Autocad. I have found that working in Maya then exporting to Autocad a more cumbersome approach that discourages changes whereas with Revit, it's never an issue. Then you can export from Revit to Max and render photorealistically.

Feb 1, 10 3:38 pm  · 
 · 
Urbanist

one should note that max, maya, revit and acad are all now all owned by the same group of monopolists in San Rafael, CA. I am sure that Autodesk will gradually work to eliminate the market-segment overlaps between these products and specialize them for different types of customers and functions along an integrated design/development/production supply chain. It seems unkely to me that they will continue to allow their own products to compete with one another.

Feb 1, 10 3:53 pm  · 
 · 
Cherith Cutestory

Revit is not really the same as Maya or Max. In fact, it is nothing like them because it is a BIM software which neither Maya or Max have claimed to be.

That discussion would be "Revit, GC, Grasshopper or Digital Project."

Feb 1, 10 4:04 pm  · 
 · 
zen maker

Maya = character stuff / video games / animation as in motion-graphics animation / anything else non-architecture related...

Max = Architecture stuff

Feb 4, 10 1:20 am  · 
 · 
seac02

You could contemplate “LinceoVR 4 ALL”, a special edition of “LinceoVR” software, a software that integrates the functionalities of Render Realtime and Augmented Reality offering a full range of tools to optimise and speed up their entire creative process, reducing times and costs of each design.
“LinceoVR” imports three dimensional models generated from the most diffused CAD programs on the market, both for the Rhino world (with free plug-in) and that of Autodesk, thanks to a tool (Fbx Importer) that recovers 3D and animated models.
Each model is then customised with different coloured materials. With a technique new to the sector: realtime raytracing, an advanced lighting technique for the realtime display of 3D objects in exceptionally realistic computer graphics.
“LinceoVR” is also enriched with certain additional components. Like “Batch Reder” , a module that enables the automatic creation of an unlimited number of images of a product from every view point, reducing creation time by up to 100% compared to other software on the market.

Feb 23, 10 5:54 am  · 
 · 

Autodesk allows all of their programs to compete with one another because they are really really smart and evil.

Like several have already pointed out in this thread, "you have to know both (5000$) programs!"

Feb 23, 10 2:58 pm  · 
 · 
zen maker

this LinceoVR thing sounds interesting

Feb 25, 10 1:45 am  · 
 · 
Mission St.

It does sound interesting. But what the fuck does that have to do with Maya vs Max?

Feb 25, 10 3:10 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: