Archinect
anchor

portfolio review

kadam-patil

congrats  every one who made it to their dream school and best of luck who are expecting to hear from schools.

applied to 3 schools -reject from 2 and waiting for 1(assuming it as a reject ).

GRE-average scores-150-v/155-m/3.0 .GPA-3.5 B.S.(Civil Engineering).

portfolio -http://issuu.com/niranjantg/docs/portfolio_niranjan_fall-14.

no related work exp,no summer programs.

was not expecting any miracles but wanted to know which areas i can improve

dont be diplomatic and thanks for giving valuable feedback.

Mar 10, 14 10:35 am
natematt

What schools did you apply to?

Mar 10, 14 11:57 am  · 
 · 
24arches

looks like technical white papers and some quick projects done in a hurry. take some design or general art classes, remove all the equations and such--if you want to design using math, make it clear and presentable.

Mar 10, 14 12:10 pm  · 
 · 
kadam-patil

@natematt  applied to MIT ,GSD and Princeton .

was it worth to apply for masters in design & computation?

Mar 10, 14 12:48 pm  · 
 · 
BulgarBlogger

standard details only show content that fills up a paper...so what- you can copy details from other similar projects your firm has designed, plop then a paper and say- there...

Mar 10, 14 1:00 pm  · 
 · 
kadam-patil

@bulgar

i dint copy from any one

all projects are personal work with out any guidance ,so may be i didnt knew how to decorate it.

Mar 10, 14 1:17 pm  · 
 · 

If I were you I would look into a summer program at the schools you applied to. Right now, as it stands, I don't think you'll have much luck getting into any of the programs you mentioned. I don't say this to demoralize you, but those are very competitive programs, so you have to use your portfolio to stand out. 

I think what Bulgar meant was that the drawings are a bit generic, not that you've literally copied someone else's work. 

Mar 10, 14 1:43 pm  · 
 · 
jdparnell1218

Needs more color and more design.  That said, if you don't get into graduate school, try going after some work.  Do not let your lack of a M. Arch stop you from pursuing employment.

Mar 10, 14 1:45 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Kadam, look into taking some life-drawing and sketching classes over the next year or so. Those free hand drawings are horrible and should not be anywhere near an M.Arch portfolio. I'll echo the above comments as well in regards to the technical details. They may be accurate but they are nothing special, any first year undergraduate student can calculate trusses for example. You cannot expect entrance with such mundane projects.

The only thing I see of value is the rotated photograph on the cover page, besides that, you don't show any design and creative skill required for graduate level education and for dog's sake, get rid of that Einstein quote. I'll ignore the misspelling of his name, but having a "brainy" quote in your portfolio implies that you hold an extra-superior perspective (and accompanying ego) on your work. The comments so far (and on your previous posts) would suggest otherwise.

Probably should mention that I skipped all the verbiage and "computational architecture" nonsense as well. I suspect most portfolio reviewers would not waste their time reading a book about numbers. Design is not formulaic like engineering. To treat it as such will only lead you to disappointment.

Mar 10, 14 2:12 pm  · 
 · 
Menona

Lose the quotes.  "Albert Ainstein" on the back cover?  Double/Triple check everything.

Mar 10, 14 2:27 pm  · 
 · 
Marina CM

Hello Kadam Patil! I found your portfolio very interesting! Yes, it shows potential to pursue research in the computational field. Next time try to present your drawing skills as strongly as you present your spatial-mathematical skills... by not including in there those horrible (sorry) sketches. Take some classes or don't include them at all, but remember that, even inside the computational field, you are pursuing a degree in Architecture. You must have some talent for design. And design is about spatial relationships, form, and color. Try to show some of that in the future, and remember architects prefer to understand a situation by looking at powerful images. Better just one than a lot of tiny ones....

Mar 10, 14 3:55 pm  · 
 · 
kadam-patil

@ Non sequitur,ts-hybrid,jdparnell,menona,marina cm  thanks for the comments  will surely look at taking some arts and design courses.

@Marina CM did u get in to Smarch (design and computation ) ?

Mar 11, 14 12:12 am  · 
 · 
Marina CM

@kadam patil, I have no idea, I haven't received an acceptance or rejection yet. Which is strange! I guess that past week the acceptances and rejections that they sent for SMarchS were "first batch". Clearly "yes" or clearly "no". Hey, that means we made it past first round!! haha. I wrote Darren and I asked him whether he could confirm to me that I am rejected but he didn't answer. I really think that they have to decide a few acceptances yet. So keep your hopes up! Your portfolio is interesting for this track.

Mar 11, 14 11:46 am  · 
 · 
BeaBea88

Kadam. I applied for the M Arch and have similar qualifications :)

I have 153q/150verbal on GRE. 3.8 GPA in BA in Studio Art.

No work experience and no summer program. .... i am still finishing up my BA last quarter.

You're portfolio was nice, but super boring. The figures on page 8 & 9 were really cool, you could've presented them as sculptures.

I only applied to Cal Poly Pomona and i'm not really expecting to get in, but who knows.

I'm a little worried since everything i included was art work ( oil paintings, ceramics, sculpture and drawings). I included a model, but I'm not sure if it was portfolio worthy.

Goodluck! I hope you get in. if you don't, definitely spice up the portfolio.

Mar 12, 14 4:41 am  · 
 · 
kadam-patil

@marina CM

Good luck for round 2 .i am really trying to figure it out  whether  i am a right fit for computation field .i showed my portfolio to one of  the  MIT grad in design & computation  (presently an assistant prof in some university ) he said your portfolio is interesting ,stick to it  you are doing great!!!!now trying to know what he really meant by that.

@BeaBea88 Good luck to you 

Mar 12, 14 8:31 am  · 
 · 
Marina CM

@kadam patil

have you taken a look at MIT's past Design and Computation Theses? It could be helpful for you to put your portfolio and some of these theses in relationship http://descomp.mit.edu/

Mar 12, 14 9:02 am  · 
 · 
kadam-patil

yup i went through some thesis would love to see your portfolio  as well .

Mar 12, 14 9:14 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: