Archinect
anchor

New tutorial website for professionals

Big James

Hope it is ok to post here but I just wanted to mention this new site for architects and other professionals working in the field of design, both 2D and 3D. www.sketchupartists.org
This site was primarily devised for the benefit of professional SketchUp users to have a leading data base of information dealing with different aspects of SketchUp post-processing and much of the software used in this process but relates to all working with CG graphics.

We are doing some regular feature articles on selected highly skilled professionals working with SketchUp, showcasing post-processing work and techniques. Google SketchUp is an excellent 3D modeling program designed for architects, civil engineers, filmmakers, game developers, and related professions.

We have created this site to show the creative potential of SketchUp and it’s users. We demonstrate its various uses, portraying the best creative professionals who show how it is possible, with only a little additional effort by adopting clever and original styles and techniques, to achieve a predictable range of fascinating and astonishing results. We have included watercolor hand techniques to photo-real renderings, covering every phase of the presentation process.

We hope you will spend some time with us and enjoy SketchUpArtists and hopefully learn new skills and pick up new inspirational ideas to use in your own projects in the future.
I hope to spend some time here as well to learn and enjoy what you folks have to offer.

kind regards
James

Jan 10, 10 11:52 am
usernametaken

while I certainly see the attractiveness that Sketchup may hold, I personally feel it's a bit like working in MS Paint if you could also choose photoshop for the same job...

Jan 10, 10 3:02 pm  · 
 · 
LML

you've got some wicked PS skills

Jan 10, 10 3:40 pm  · 
 · 
Big James

lol, I suppose it 's all about how skilled you are in a particular software and what you intend to use it for. Maybe you could elaborate a bit more on what you are trying to say? Oh and I don't work for Google SketchUp and I am not trying to promote their software...just a new tutorial site with free content that may be useful to those who use SketchUp in their daily worklflow and 30% of architectural firms/practices worldwide are using it at the moment.

Jan 10, 10 3:54 pm  · 
 · 
Purpurina

Thank you James.

Jan 10, 10 4:04 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Hahaha I'm with LML, really lovely work there, James! But I'm laughing because it's so embarrassing for me - I can't even figure out the damn Follow Me tool!

Jan 10, 10 4:43 pm  · 
 · 
usernametaken

@James, I wasn't trying to be disrespectful to you, I'm pretty sure you are doing this website with good intentions.

My comment is a mere frustration with the program as such. Granted, as far as digital sketching goes: it's pretty good and fast. However, for actual visualisation and integration between 2d and 3d, it lacks certain parts that are crucial to me. It could be that these options have been integrated into the program since I last used it (about 2/3 years ago), but these three points were my main frustration:

- the issue of objects/groups/layers. When drawing a simple square, it consists of 5 entities: all four sides, and the square itself. These can all end up on different layers, making the object impossible to control. For instance, if you'd like to turn a certain layer off, the object might still remain, because one part of it is on a different layer. True, this also has to do with sloppy drawing, but still...
Also, sometimes, when drawing, it could be useful to take a part of the model, and simply "move" it. however, since all the lines are connected, it is impossible to do that without stretching the rest of the model. There are (as far as I know) two workarounds: grouping every single part of the model, so that the lines aren't physically connected, or to make "objects" out of them (I don't know the correct Sketchup-term for "block"). These are, to me, seriously hindering building a clean, quick and good 3d-model.

- complexer curves are also "not that good" in Sketchup, since curves are made up of line-segments in sketchup. This means that some modelling tools are just not possible.

- integration with other programs is also "lacking". I'm used to working in a combination of autocad and 3d studio. This means that your model in cad also works in 3ds. A model made in autocad can be edited in 3d studio, and vice versa. With sketchup, solids aren't solids, so it loses quite some compatibility when you are aiming to combine it with other programs (whether it's to make 2d representations of a 3d model in cad, or adding onto the 3d, or make renders/animations in 3dstudio.

For me, those are my main concerns with sketchup: elements that would be vital for me are simply lacking. It could be that I'm just lacking the right skills, but even though sketchup truely has some strengths (a quick volume study, for instance) it just doesn't match up to the cad/3d studio mix for 3d modelling and rendering for me.

Jan 10, 10 4:49 pm  · 
 · 
LML

I would say you gotta know sketchup, and one other program to make up for what sketchup can't do--rhino, 3DS, maya whatever. can't beat the speed of sketchup.

@liberty I was actually commenting on username's presumed PS skillz--I know there are some crazy talented PS people out there, but...

Jan 10, 10 5:10 pm  · 
 · 
Big James

The learning curve for Sketchup is very small. Organising your model is very important from the outset as you will know from any training in cad software. If you learn the basics and these are what you are talking about here, you will have no problems with having entities on the right layers or moving things around.

Models can be exported in many file types including 3ds. There are now numerous render engines available that work seamlessly with SketcUp, as well as the traditional ones, which are reasonalbly priced and even free for producing photorealistic images and animations.

Curves in SketchUp are indeed line segments, but increase the number of segments to achieve a smoother curve or use a plugin to convert it to a polyline. There are a few options available, its just a matter of seeing what works best for you. SketchUp would not be so powerful now if it wasn't for all the plugins which have been developed over the past few years.

With regards to saying SketchUp can't do what you want it to do means you obviously havn't seen what SU is capable of. All modeling software are just tools and its up to us on how we use them and get the best from them in our daily workflow.

Jan 11, 10 8:51 am  · 
 · 
Big James

@ usernametaken oops forgot to say, I know you weren't being disrespectful so no offence taken, wheres the thumbsup smiley? lol

Jan 11, 10 12:54 pm  · 
 · 
usernametaken

@LML: I didn't know I was claiming amazing PS skills in my post...

@James: The problem with curves being line segments lies (in my view) in the relation to autocad. Line segments are an approximation of a spline (a mathemetical equation), thus always inprecise.
And I know you can export a model as 3ds, but (for instance) a cube in sketchup is 6 surfaces connected, and not a solid - therefore not really editable in autocad/3d studio...

As you say: it comes down to recognizing the tools and what they can do. For some things sketchup is suitable, and for some things it isn't the best option...

Jan 11, 10 1:43 pm  · 
 · 
blah

There's a great post that shows the limits of what Sketchup can do here:

http://forums.sketchucation.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=24186

Jan 11, 10 2:40 pm  · 
 · 
Big James

For some things sketchup is suitable, and for some things it isn't the best option...thats very true and I'am glad we agree.

@make good site for learning and help too...I used to moderate there, until we started our own site.

Jan 11, 10 2:51 pm  · 
 · 
blah

James,

Your new site looks good. Tim Danaher has done some AMAZING things.

Are you in London?

Jan 11, 10 2:57 pm  · 
 · 
Big James

@make yes I am based in London, and Mateo who also runs the site with me is based in Dubrovnic and currently working on designs for the airports there. We wanted a site offering advanced tutorials for post processing as well as tips and tricks we all use to help in the process of producing good output images. There is no advertising there and it is totally funded by ourselves at the moment. We hope it will be a good learning resource. Its still early days but so far so good...

Jan 11, 10 3:06 pm  · 
 · 
AquillatheNun

I happen to think that SketchUp is the shit! It is awesome for what it is intended for. And this is coming from someone who knew them before they went to Google. What was it @last software or something like that?

Jan 12, 10 1:28 pm  · 
 · 
AquillatheNun

Let us not forget that it's name is "Sketch"Up. So I don't think it was ever meant to cure cancer or anything.

Jan 12, 10 1:33 pm  · 
 · 
Big James

@ AquillatheNun, yes it was @last Software before Google bought them up..
and to your second post, correct again!

Jan 19, 10 9:23 am  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Here's the cool thing about SketchUp: I learned it well enough to use for clients just by sitting alone in my house with an internet connection to the help forums. When I learned AutoCad, the only way I could have learned it was how I did: with an office tutorial session followed by a few months of working in a desk next to someone who I constantly barraged with questions.

Jan 19, 10 9:29 am  · 
 · 
vado retro

i think sketch up models are great except when the boss does them and draws something totally wrong and everyone accepts it as gospel. this is the problem with computer renderings/drawings in a sd phase. someone can draw something say an existing building, 5 foot too wide and noone notices it for say months. and the person who drew it ie your boss just sort of nonchalantly shrugs their shoulders and expects you to spend the next couple of days redoing everything.

Jan 19, 10 9:51 am  · 
 · 
Big James

@Liberty bell Thats the thing about it the learning curve isn't that steep and it is actually quite fun using the software for the first time, well it was for me anyway. I went to university to learn autocad and it drove me nuts, but I got the qualification I needed..

@Vado retro Funny story but not uncommon. I suppose you just have to get on with it and bite your lip.

Jan 19, 10 1:01 pm  · 
 · 
Big James

Just a quick update - we have recently done a spotlight article on Robh Ruppel and his use of SketchUp in Game design. Robh has worked with Disney Animation for a number of years and is curently working with a large successful game design company in California. He has worked on a number of projects including some Disney movies.Sketchup seems to be touching a lot of areas where you wouldn't imediately think of, but his use of it in the early stages of game design seem quite logical. See what you think..http://www.sketchupartists.org/spotlight/robh-ruppel-google-sketchup-in-game-design/

May 29, 10 7:18 pm  · 
 · 
DisplacedArchitect

google autodesk assist program, if you are unemployed you can download any autodesk program for free! for a year to a year and half.

May 30, 10 2:13 pm  · 
 · 
jackkkk

in the early stages of game design seem quite logical.

Jun 2, 10 3:23 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: