Archinect
anchor

HELP!: Book of Figure-Grounds

Hi All!

On New Years Day I was perusing a bookstore with my good friend FrankLloydMike, when I remembered, as I do now every time I'm in a bookstore, whether online or in person, that there is a book that I am absolutely certain exists, but that I cannot seem to find...

As many of you know, Amazon.com has wish lists in which you can add every single book, frying pan, cordless drill, or Ironman 30-lap wristwatch that you want. Well, I don't know about you all, but I must have well over 400 books on my wish list (I love books...but that's a whole new topic in and of itself). Anyways, another thing that Amazon.com does, as again I'm sure many of you know, is recommend books based on your browsing history and your wish list(s).

As I have a number of urban design and planning books on my wish list, it was with great excitement that one day probably 4-6 months ago, I absolutely swear on my life, a recommended book popped up which contained figure-ground drawings of I believe every major city in the world - and all to the same scale to boot... Hallelujah!

Well, as it happened, Christmas time rolled around and while I was making up a list of (I would normally say things, but let's be honest...) books, to send home before my mom killed me, I hopped onto Amazon.com, opened up my wish list and started scrolling through looking for the book of figure-grounds, which at the time, thought would take about 5 minutes tops to find.

Well...let's just say I didn't find the book...ever... WHAT THE HELL IS THIS BOOK I'M THINKING OF!? I've searched my f***ing brains out looking for it and am really starting to wonder whether or not I dreamed about it (it wouldn't be the first time), as I've always thought about how nice it would be if there was a book filled with beautiful figure-grounds of cities.

So...if anyone out there knows what book I'm talking about, I would be so happy to find out. Also, if the book doesn't exist, and one of you draws up and publishes a book like I described...I better see some monthly commission checks...jk - I would really just be happy.

Wouldn't that be a great resource!?

Jan 7, 10 7:31 am

you're not crazy, it does exist... i haven't actually seen it, but one of my professors has mentioned it... however, i have no idea who wrote it or what it is called, so i'm afraid that i'm not much help...

by the way, does your mom think that its boring to buy you books as gifts? mine can't seem to get over the idea that there are few things that i would rather receive...

Jan 7, 10 8:19 am  · 
 · 
AtelierTabulaRasa

Thanks, architphil - it seems as though the book has disappeared into the mystic. I have honestly tried every conceivable way that you could search for such a book, in various search engines: "book of figure-grounds", "figure-ground books", "architecture, figure-ground, book", "urban design, figure-ground", urban design, figure-ground, book".... the list goes on and on.

However, knowing that someone else has heard of it gives me a great deal of optimism about finding it. Perhaps as more and more Archinectors get on the 'nect today across the country, someone will know what the hell we're talking about!

Also, my mom is actually pretty good about getting me books for gifts, but my girlfriend on the other hand...forget about it. I mean, let's be honest, our apartment looks like a satellite library of the BPL.

Jan 7, 10 8:32 am  · 
 · 
gresham

Here you go:

To Scale: One Hundred Urban Plans

You're welcome.... looks pretty great. I hadn't heard of that title before.

Jan 7, 10 8:47 am  · 
 · 
AtelierTabulaRasa

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!! Thanks so much, gresham, I really appreciate it. What did you search for to find it? I thought I searched for everything!

With that sticker price, I think it's safe to say that I won't own that beauty of a book for a little while, but it's definitely high up on my list now (not to mention ON my list).

Thanks again!

Jan 7, 10 9:01 am  · 
 · 
gresham

I just did a google search for "noli maps urban plans" since you said you came up empty using "figure-ground" as a search term. Happy to help!

Jan 7, 10 9:04 am  · 
 · 

Similar to Ayers Saint Gross campus plan index

[url=http://www.asg-architects.com/research/comparing/campuses/index.htm]

Jan 7, 10 9:16 am  · 
 · 
Working Link
Jan 7, 10 9:16 am  · 
 · 
gresham

Very cool. Thanks for sharing that, loremipsum

Jan 7, 10 9:18 am  · 
 · 
AtelierTabulaRasa

Wow, yeah thanks a lot loremipsum, that's pretty cool.

Jan 7, 10 10:01 am  · 
 · 
won and done williams

that book looks awesome. I wish there was a google-earth plugin that would do the same thing... ie, splitscreen view of two different locations at the same scale. I think that would be incredibly useful.

Jan 8, 10 6:00 am  · 
 · 
n_

Wow, To Scale jumped in price. I purchased that book about a year and a half ago from amazon.com for $35 books, new. The book is beautiful.

Feb 22, 10 12:56 am  · 
 · 
RealLifeLEED

On the same subject... some well known higher-ed architecture/planning firm whose name is currently escaping me has a TON of college campus figure ground studies on their website that's publicly available.

I can't find this resource in my bookmarks, so if someone else knows the link I'd be grateful to have it back!

Feb 22, 10 11:38 am  · 
 · 
AtelierTabulaRasa

I believe the link that loremipsum provided above is what you're looking for.

link

Feb 22, 10 11:51 am  · 
 · 
RealLifeLEED

it is... my apologies for not reading the thread thoroughly before posting!

Feb 22, 10 1:11 pm  · 
 · 
minimalista

Also consider Great Streets by Allan Jacobs

Feb 22, 10 10:29 pm  · 
 · 
charles.ellinwood
http://www.amazon.com/Scale-One-Hundred-Urban-Plans/dp/0415954010/ref=tmm_pap_title_0

the paperback version is $47 or so...not a bad investment.

Feb 24, 10 1:54 am  · 
 · 
montagneux

You know... to the rest of the world, we call these maps with building outlines.

Just sayin'.

Feb 24, 10 5:07 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: