Archinect
anchor

Architecture Student Laptop

Hello Archinect friends.

I am looking for a laptop to use in school mainly for Autocad and other programs that I will learn later (Revit, 3DMax and Rhino). I was looking for a computer that will run these well. To my understanding 4gb ram is decent (not sure if that is great) and a processor with a good video card are necessary.

I was looking to spend around $800-$1000 for a laptop. I asked a friend and he told me this was good:

$1000 Lenovo
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?nm_mc=AFC-SlickDeals&cm_mmc=AFC-SlickDeals-_-NA-_-NA-_-NA&Item=N82E16834146613

Im not too familiar with Lenovo's and am not too sure about the 64bit since my professor said that 64bit creates a bit of problems (Im not sure if it will react poorly to my schools 32bit computers)

I was looking into Dell Precision laptops because Im familiar with Dell and the ones I was looking at had good specs at 32bit.

Dell Precision M4400 at $950
Precision Mobile Workstation M4400 Laptop: Intel Core 2 Duo T9550 (2.66GHz, 6M L2 Cache, 1066MHZ) Dual Core
Genuine Windows XP Pro with Vista Business License

Operating System
Genuine Windows XP Pro with Vista Business LicenseMemory
4 GB DDR2 SDRAM 800MHz (2 DIMMs)Hard Disk Drive
160 GB Free Fall Sensor Hard Drive (7200RPM)Video
512MB NVIDIA Quadro FX 770MModem
Internal 56K ModemCertified Refurbished
Certified RefurbishedMedia Bay
8X DVD +/- RW w/dbl layer write capabilityHardware Upgrade
130W A/C Adapter, 3P
9 Cell Primary Battery
125V Power Cord
No Fingerprint Reader
USB Optical two button mouseLaptop Screen
15.4 in WXGA Laptop ScreenNetwork Interface Card
Intel WiFi Link 5300 802.11a/g/n Draft Mini CardSoftware Upgrade
Windows Live
32BIT Operating System CD
NO Intel vPro Secure Advanced Hardware Enabled Systems Management
32BIT Operating System CDWeb Camera
Digital MicrophoneBase
Precision Mobile Workstation M4400 Laptop: Intel Core 2 Duo T9550 (2.66GHz, 6M L2 Cache, 1066MHZ) Dual CoreSystem Color
Silver

I am open to any suggestions and all help. I am not set on these at all, just looking for help and any help I get will be greatly appreciated. Thank you Archinect friends

Dec 30, 09 11:25 pm
airfrogyto19

Also, would you guys recommend me buying it now or wait until Summer 2010 since I will be using the laptop mainly in my 3rd year which starts in the Fall.

I like the Dell also because the warranty is 3 years so if a newer laptop comes out by that time and by some chance something happens to the laptop Dell will replace it with a current model. And for $1000 I think that computer is good. Thats just what I see, any and all help I get will be great and appreciated. Thanks

C

Dec 31, 09 12:25 am  · 
 · 
airfrogyto19

I guess its too difficult a question, Ill keep looking around.
Thanks

Dec 31, 09 12:14 pm  · 
 · 
LML

I might consider the 64 bit options--that's where everything is going now. and I understand 3D and CAD stuff will run a bit quicker (not sure about the how and why on this--anyone else?). also w/ 64 bit you can upgrade your memory later--you won't max out at 4GB --this of course depending on your motherboard, and if it has the slots. The problems people usually complain about are w/ drivers -- because they haven't been made yet for 64bit--that should be less of a problem as time goes on. 32bit programs will still run on a 64 bit system.

of course, you get what you pay for.

Dec 31, 09 12:31 pm  · 
 · 
Andy_V

airfrogyto19:

LML is correct get the 64 bit systems, but depending on the laptop you can only get a certain amount of memory that you can upgrade to. Something to consider, does you school provide computer labs that have really fast computers (quad cores)? If so, you may not need to spend a lot on a really fast computer - which would run you like $ 3,000+, just to try to duplicate the same speed. My suggestion would be to wait til you actually need the laptop for 3dmax -revit, because new technology is always coming out and what was fast and expensive months ago is slow and cheap now. Ideally you should be looking for a "gaming" computer/laptop, which is a good standard to go by if you are not entirely familary with laptops and their parts. Also keep doing the research, as it will help you in your future years, its always good to be up on the latest technology and lingo, it makes you sound smart! hope this helps

Andy_V

Dec 31, 09 12:52 pm  · 
 · 
foxinthesnow

I've been doing a research on the same subject for 2 days now, I don't think $1000 lenovo is beatable at this price. I'm an arch. student too, I'm planning to buy this one tomorrow.

Comparing it to the other option you have, it has:
-faster processor /core i7 quad (i think that's the most important)
-faster graphics card with 1gb memory

I'm also unfamiliar with lenovo and only had dells so far but I also hear lenovos are stable and good..

I was going to open a discussion about this, now I don't need to. I can't see any reason why you would go with that dell. I'd appreciate if we can discuss this and hopefully find the best deal for our needs.

Jan 2, 10 2:46 am  · 
 · 
binary

buy a dell... make sure you can find the drivers and install xp.... nuke what ever comes with the newer computers...

get an external hard drive to dump your big stuff on

Jan 2, 10 2:54 am  · 
 · 
october

FYI Lenovo took over IBM's PC (etc.) business complete with the people from IBM who created the stuff.

And, also, FWIW I have an IBM ThinkPad from 1999 that still does it's thing--slow as heck, but still good for what it does. Past performance is not indicative of future results, but I wouldn't be wary of the Lenovo brand just because.

Jan 2, 10 9:54 am  · 
 · 
harold

Dell m6500 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_O2gI97y34A

Jan 4, 10 4:28 pm  · 
 · 
alielf

I am also a computer scientist and your best bet it to go with a apple computer ..they have the best graphics cards and best screen resolutions ...

ae http://aeconsultorseopt.com

Apr 21, 11 10:17 am  · 
 · 
Token AE

buy a dell... make sure you can find the drivers and install xp.... nuke what ever comes with the newer computers... 

I agree with getting rid of the useless add on dell crap, but If you get one with windows 7 there will be no need to downgrade to XP. The only reason to downgrade to XP would be if the laptop came with the now-obsolete Vista, which it will not if it is new.

Anything that you could previously "only run in xp" can be run in windows 7. If for some bizarre reason it will not, you can right click on the start menu item and set it to run as if it was in a prior version of windows- everything back to win95.

Performance wise, Win7 will manage higher quantities of RAM and interact with newer hardware that XP cannot. I think 7 has a drastically improved (non-fugly) interface to boot.

I am no microsoft shill, but XP is no longer necessary and in many cases you are hurting yourself if you use it with a newer hardware configuration.

Apr 21, 11 10:29 am  · 
 · 
Token AE

I just looked at the specs the OP listed-

Do not go with a machine that has a 32 bit version of XP (with the option for vista) with the configuration you have listed. These operating systems do not recognize more than 3GB of RAM, yet your configuration has 4.

You either need to:

A) Downgrade your overall system to not exceed the bottlenecks imposed by a 32 bit, 5 or 10 year old (Vista, XP respectively) OS

B) Upgrade the OS to windows 7 x64

The fact that your school has 32 bit machines will be irrelevant unless you are counting on them to give you the same software installation DVDs that they use in the labs.

@alief

Macs only run better for the average user because apple has complete control over what hardware interacts with their operating system. If you know what you are doing and are aware of the hardware nuances of other operating systems, you can build a computer for half the price that performs significantly better than a mac.

Apr 21, 11 10:39 am  · 
 · 
alielf

true but i think he is an average user thats why i gave tha answear :)

ae http://www.aeconsultorseopt.com

Apr 22, 11 1:08 pm  · 
 · 
Stasis

@alielf,

did you even read original poster wrote? he needs it for autocad, revit and rhino.

using those three programs already exceeds usages of average user, or define average user for me.   i also assume that he or she will multitask with adobe suites too.

Apple having best graphic card isn't true, either.

If you can afford extra cost say $1600ish,

Lenovo Thinkpad W520's a pretty good choice - has workstation graphic card for affordable price.

Apr 22, 11 2:53 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: