Archinect
anchor

Do you know this building?

cobra

Can you folks help me with the name of this building and the architect?

Dec 21, 09 2:30 am
Cacaphonous Approval Bot

this is the mythical tower of photoshop which appears high up in the swiss alps only when the world is in dire peril.

its recent appearance is a cause of great concern to all of human kind.

Dec 21, 09 8:38 am  · 
 · 
outthere

this looks like a job for google goggles ...to bad i dont have the android

Dec 23, 09 7:33 am  · 
 · 
michacw

I have seen a residential tower which has an undulating/ blobby appearance that is actually resulted from the variations created by balcony floorplates, instead of the actual building envelope.
at a glance resembles the aqua tower, but instead of a box, it's cilindrical. anyone knows the name of the building, architects, or has any images pertaining this?
many thanks..

Jun 9, 10 5:57 am  · 
 · 
michacw

if i'm not wrong, i remembered it was by a female architect..

Jun 9, 10 5:59 am  · 
 · 

herzog and demeuron ?

Jun 9, 10 6:20 am  · 
 · 
gresham

I think Jump is right.... looks like the Schatzalp Tower in Davos, Switzerland by Herzog and de Meuron.

The rendering on the page below is different, but the existing hotel looks like the same one in the image above. Maybe an earlier or later version of the same project?

link

Jun 9, 10 8:51 am  · 
 · 
michacw

sorry for confusing you guys.. actually i was asking about a different bldg than the image posted above..
the bldg or proposal was very similar to jeanne gang's studio gang's aqua tower in chicago.. except like i said, it's cilindrical, not boxy. i'm interested in the notion of using floor plate variations to create undulating/ curvaceous/ blobby appearance, instead of cladding.

link: http://www.dailycharrette.com/aqua-tower-chicago/

Jun 9, 10 10:40 am  · 
 · 
gresham

Michacw:

I think Jump and I were both responding the original poster and image above.

I'm not sure what project you're referring too.

Jun 9, 10 10:54 am  · 
 · 
michacw

too bad.. i'm afraid the project might be shelved :( i saw the rendering way before the recession.

sorry for not giving you heads up that my question had nothing to do with the original poster.

Jun 9, 10 11:04 am  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

michaw, that jeanne gang project in chi-town is completed...

Jun 9, 10 11:39 am  · 
 · 

maybe you are thinking of the building in ontario by mad (chinese office)?

Jun 9, 10 7:57 pm  · 
 · 
michacw

i find archinect to be an fascinating place.. where people answer strangers' queries that do not benefit them in any way in return.
or maybe i have just been hanging around with the wrong architect crowd in real life.. anyway i digress.

jump, thanks, you got i meant! but unfortunately, mad's ontario tower is not it. pretty close though..
yeah, b3tadine, i just saw the aqua tower in a magazine & it reminded me of the bldg in question..

Jun 10, 10 9:39 am  · 
 · 
michacw

*a

Jun 10, 10 9:39 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: