Archinect
anchor

architizer?

treekiller

anybody bothering with the much hyped architizer?

Why do we need a 'Facebook for architects', when we've had the AIA providing directories of local firm for as long as there has been an AIA?

Does Architizer threaten archinect/bustler or is the 'tizer just a place for the marketing folks to gather, leaving archinect as an authentic place for the cool kids?

or maybe it's just Marc Kushner's good looks!

We don't need to get Rem, Norten, and Holl to join Archinect to give this forum a 'legitimacy'!

Dec 13, 09 8:11 pm
PsyArch

Particularly when Quilian Riano makes it onto *Wallpaper's Graduate Directory:

Dec 13, 09 8:51 pm  · 
 · 
l3wis

Architizer is pretty neato - I'm on there! But yea, it definitely doesn't replace archinect or bustler. Three completely different sites.

Dec 13, 09 9:17 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Oh my god. One more thing to keep up with. And they're all so good-looking.

Dec 13, 09 9:45 pm  · 
 · 
Distant Unicorn

if there's less crazies on it and more sharing of architecture, i might be down.

but then again, I don't really have any specific reason to be on the internet.

Dec 13, 09 10:18 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell
but then again, I don't really have any specific reason to be on the internet.

Orochi, you've said some things that have really pissed me off in the past, but this is just brilliant.

Dec 13, 09 10:20 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

i wonder how long it will take me to be the number one post contributor?

Dec 13, 09 10:35 pm  · 
 · 
awkeytect

interesting.
I was wondering today if Biology or Chemistry majors have similar sites where they can complain about their lives and consult with eachother on their most recent lab projects.
I should probably google it.

Dec 13, 09 11:32 pm  · 
 · 
Cherith Cutestory

Interesting. I have to agree with Orochi that it's refreshing to see an architecture networking site that actually has architecture to network about. Although the freedom of Archinect Discussion boards is nice it has a tendency to turn to trolling.

I guess my question is how far reaching is this going to be? On the surface it looks like a virtual pin-up/portfolio solely for the intent for architects to share/show work amongst ourselves and get some feedback/fans. Looking through the current list of the "Most Viewed" offices (OMA, Diller Scofidio...) is giving off the gushing undergraduate fan vide more than anything (OMG I heart your work. LOL!).

I could see the possibility of it being useful as an architecture linkedin and it being useful to have both resume information and a project or two all on one page and for offices, especially smaller ones, to exhibit work and company information. In that way, it could be pretty useful as both a recruiting and advertising tool. That has merit.

It would be nice though if somehow made the effort to extend beyond our own little world. Yeah it's great to share work among like minded people and get constructive criticism but until architects also become the financiers we need people to invest in our skills. I'd like to see a site that made architecture a little more accessible to the outside world.

Dec 13, 09 11:47 pm  · 
 · 
Distant Unicorn

Uh, I'm not sure which way to take that. So, I'll be a bit cautious and a bit of an egomaniac and take it as a backhanded compliment. Thanks, LB. (And I'm not trying to be a douche. [Although, we you have to quantify when you are and aren't being a douche-- you're being a douche.])

I say that mostly because of some simple reasons:

A) I like legitimately learning from most of you. However, as anyone collecting data or surveying knows... impartiality is king. I tend to feel that confrontation is the best initiator of introspection.

If I play nice and make friends with you all, it makes it difficult to rib you or challenge you in any capacity. Ant I wholeheartedly despise group think whether it is benevolent or malevolent.

This brings me to another point.

B) I don't own a business, have a real job, consult or have any real need for networking.

If I were going to utilize the internet for anything past morose entertainment or intellectual pursuits, I'd need something to actually represent. From what it appears, I have no useful skills or talents-- I'd have a job if that were the case. So, I have nothing to showcase.

However, by not representing myself to the full extent... I can not say with any certainty that it may actually work.

C) Well, Reason C is a combination of both. Of both accurately representing who I am, representing my work and engaging many different people in friendly ways.

In a sense, this requires a variety of neoteny I care not to participate in and a middle-of-the-road facade. It requires you to have intellectual and social accessibility.

So, in the pursuit of being non deceitful, I actually would have to layer on a thick layer of deceit to gain admiration, to receive compliments and to interact with other different people.

That kind of sociopathy is not something I am willing to do for free-- thrift store wedding rings, sports memorabilia, mediocre music tastes and cross necklaces are expensive.

If anyone bothered to read this, I think my viewpoint applies to the functionality of these kinds of websites.

For them to really work; you have to put your entire self out there, you have to actively engage both as a presenter and as a listener, you actually have to have something to present and, lastly, you have to encourage others to encourage you (meaning you have to pass petty compliments back and forth til other people realize how awesome you think each other is).

So, until I have a big name behind me or legitimately work for myself... I prefer to stay a masked asshole.

I am very jealous of people like LB who do break the anonymous persona and have legitimate reasons to be on the internet.

Dec 14, 09 12:03 am  · 
 · 
niro

sound like someone who love to listen to himself talk, or
just need a hug.

the god damn giant lost AGAIN!

Dec 14, 09 12:40 am  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Orochi, it's a compliment.

It reminded me of this brilliant post by newstreamlinedmodel years ago, when the question came up (as it has recently in a new thread) "Why did you become an architect?":

Didn't like world. Figured I'd try to rig up a new one out of some of this stuff we've got laying around.

Can't sleep anyway.

That throwaway last line is what I liked about nsm's post, and yours. Please, do not take it, as I now realize it could be interpreted, to imply that you shouldn't be here. You've been fun lately.

What I despise about this whole thing, of course, is that just because I have a lot of posts I'm now like some kind of authority figure, or others think I see myself that way. I work alone: the posts I make here are the same as the comments about the weather or the workload or last night's game or the hot barista at the lobby coffee cart that most people make to their coworkers.

I have a long institutional memory of Archinect, that's ALL. No authority, no inside perspective, no special powers. Maybe I need a new screen name.

Dec 14, 09 8:56 am  · 
 · 
FrankLloydMike

hmm. Architizer could be interesting maybe, but the thought of another social networking site stressed me out, and my first thought at looking at that website in particular was simply that there's way too much going on on that first page.

Dec 14, 09 11:14 am  · 
 · 
vado retro

the question about architecture networking is why network to yourself? i understand if you are looking for a job in a firm and community is always a good thing but, if you have a practice and are looking to push your vision of the ever warming world on to some potential clients are those clients going to be here? perhaps a website needs to be created called Cocktail Party where the architects share a website with doctors, lawyers, ceos, non profits, etc who may actually pick up the phone and call them (does that happen anymore?) and give them a job.

Dec 14, 09 11:20 am  · 
 · 
liberty bell

vado, there's actually a "Find Your Next Architect!" button on Architizer that I assume is geared toward clients. The question is, will someone looking for an architect find Architizer?

Dec 14, 09 11:50 am  · 
 · 
Distant Unicorn

They already have that vado, it's called smallworld.com.

It's a website for the $100,000 a year plus club.

Not only do you have to be worth a certain amount/make a certain amount... but I believe you need at least two referrals to get in!

LB-- Oh, the first part of my post was a mild self-deprecating joke! The last rambly part was my overall opinion of successfully marketing yourself online and the success (or hollow success) that comes with it.

My point is similar to F*CK and vado's. I worded it and made it self-reflective to show by example rather than to decree some ultimate knowledge.

Dec 14, 09 11:51 am  · 
 · 
treekiller

The question is Who would look for architects on Architizer. the local AIA chapters already cover lots small scale/residential ground/commodity design, debbies list is also aimed at residential clients. Institutional clients already know the folks or issue RFPs and don't need to do the research.

So that leaves ??? maybe a few gazillionaires that want a trophy architect for their summer cottage in the hamptons or dubai and not much else

Dec 14, 09 11:56 am  · 
 · 
Cherith Cutestory

Guess it depends on where you live. My local AIA chapter might as well not even exist. I can't imagine someone outside of architecture even thinking of contacting them let alone going on the treasure hunt to find their office (assuming people actually work in said office). Aside from throwing themselves self-congratulating award dinners and maybe channeling all the legal/document stuff from national, I don't really know what else they do. Certainly not any sort of outreach effort to promote the local architectural community.

My experience is that most people just go to the phonebook and start calling down the list. And considering that it's usually easier to search a phonebook online, well... there could be some possibilities in something of that function being useful. That said, I don't know if Architizer is making that effort or not.

Dec 14, 09 12:19 pm  · 
 · 
bRink

yeah, it would be nice if it were expanded to include all types of design and building industry professionals... including people who actually need an architect, potential clients, etc. If it is only connecting architects to each other, then why not just use a forum?

something like:
http://www.designguide.org/
(if it were a social networking site...)

where even product manufacturers and other professionals like say lighting designers or furniture designers, engineers, or architectural photographers could connect with each other

because i think what our profession really needs is to de-silo our community... get out and connect with the rest of the building industry in a more engaged way?

Dec 14, 09 6:59 pm  · 
 · 
bRink

that's not to say architizer isn't pretty cool tho...

Dec 14, 09 7:06 pm  · 
 · 

i lost patience with it pretty quick. but then they couldn't seem to send me a long-in after about 4 tries... still don't have one, but i'm receiving their newsletter.

Dec 14, 09 7:47 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

are there comments ala linked in?

Wolf Prix: Even though he comes from an ordinary bourgeois environment, Peter Eisenman is a joy to do a final crit with. He always gives his full measure of hisDevotion.

Dec 14, 09 10:51 pm  · 
 · 
Cherith Cutestory

Was curious now that the site has been up and running for a while how it's working out for anyone involved?

So far it's been all show and no tell.

Jun 2, 10 11:59 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: