Archinect
anchor

Large public uni to M.Arch I? LOST AND NEED TO BE FOUND

pllainjane

Hello all,

I've been following some of the threads on here about the many undergrads that are pursuing a degree other than a B.Arch. Sad to say I'm in the same boat and feel like I've been having the worst timing in my life. I apologize if my post sounds whiny, naive, and pathetic. I'm at a turning point in my life where I need to make changes to find happiness again. I feel like I've been living my life half asleep in someone else's dream the entire time, I'll be 21 this June.

If you can bear the agony to read on, I'll describe how my life has been dictated by standard's that others have drawn out for me. I'm a third year that had just transferred and on my second quarter at UCSD. I have no clue why I transferred here for the Economics B.A., maybe because my older brother is an accountant and that's the only career path my parents feel confident in me taking. I'm 1/3 way done with the degree, and if I rearrange my classes next quarter I'll be able to graduate on time with a summer of classes.

Ever since I was young my mom has encouraged my love for the arts. I had fine art training as a kid at age 7 up until I was 13. I was top of my class at the local art school, and had cultivated a passion in drafting, painting, and fine art training. When it was time for me to apply for college, naturally I gravitated towards the art schools. Nobody supported me then, it seemed like I was belittled and shunned for even sharing the idea of art in a respectable professional study. I was a really depressed kid. Life sucked then and still sucks now, it got better when I tried to pretend like any other business job was for me by seeking acceptance from drinking and drugs.

I hit rock bottom this past summer. I visited family in my home town and witnessed a deep loss. I started to make sense of things for how they really are after that. It was the summer before I resumed my studies at UCSD (where I transferred to obtain an Econ/ Management degree). I realized all I really have is a passion for creating and expressing my ideas. My father is a construction worker who literally built all of the places our family has lived in. I don't think any other professional is suitable for me, maybe other than a licensed psychologist (maybe you all may have better suggestions).

I'm extremely drawn to the M.Arch programs offered here in southern California. I'm probably going to have to apply after I finish my B.A. at UCSD for a major I don't care for.

What I'm struggling with deciding on is whether or not I should switch to a Visual Arts Studio major here to start cultivating a portfolio? I know the M.Arch programs are really competitive as they receive intake from B.Arch students with prior experience as well. All I really have is internship experience at an accounting firm and the old drawings and works I've kept from years ago.

How do I gain an architectural internship?
I'm thinking about registering for the UCLA Jump Start Arch summer program this June (worth it?)
If I stay with the Econ degree, how should I develop my portfolio? Is there a guideline?
I'm so lost, but I know that where I'm at right now is not where I'm supposed to be. If you had made it and read through all of that nonsense above, God bless you. Any advice or insight is greatly appreciated.

Sincerely,
Doe

Feb 3, 14 1:18 am
Volunteer

Your message is certainly confusing. If you followed your parents' advice and are seeking a stable employment why are you studying economics rather than accounting? Also an accounting background would be helpful to you down the road if you ever wanted to have your own firm whether it be an architectural firm, a construction firm, or a design/build firm. Second, architecture is one of those professions that you can, in many states, achieve through documented work and taking the test. Why go the traditional indebtedness route and go to the end of a very long unemployment line at the completion of years of schooling of highly questionable utility? You said your father built all the houses you have live in. Did you even consider he might know more than most of the professors you would study under, who might have difficulty hammering two boards together?

Feb 3, 14 10:03 am  · 
 · 
pllainjane

Volunteer, thank you for your response. 

First and foremost, I consider drawing a passion of mine. I'm currently so lost in college that I feel like I haven't found anything that seems to hit home for me. All I really have is my love for creating and painting. Naturally, I thought about how to cultivate this into a career.

I guess I never thought about the possibility of learning from my father. I can barely communicate with him and he is very much self-learned as well. He acquired his craft by reading books and watching others. A lot of DIY projects really, that eventually led to remodeled indoors and outdoors. 

I'm interested in how I can create that opportunity for myself, to attain documented work and take a state certified exam. How do I go about gaining work experience in this field with no prior knowledge? I know the unemployment right now is really hitting architects, is it silly to even consider a career change? What if I know that my peace of mind will serve me against the low paying salaries?

Feb 3, 14 11:17 am  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

Would you be satisfied being a contractor? (Fine home builder?) Becoming an architect takes time, money, and focus. It can be very demoralizing at the end of the journey to find out that you aren't the capital-A Architect you intended on becoming, often through no fault of your own. If the need to create, design, and build can be satisfied through means other than becoming an architect, I would suggest at least giving that a realistic look before committing to a course of action that is quite demanding. If, at the end of it all, you decide architecture is for you, go for it, and don't quit until you succeed.

Feb 3, 14 11:35 am  · 
 · 
pllainjane

Sneakypete, 

Thank you for your words of encouragement. 

I think as of right now, I can't think of any other profession that can allow me to exercise those passions. To build, to create, to draw, and use my hands.

Feb 3, 14 11:45 am  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

Then go for it, and don't get beaten down by the profession. There are jobs out there, and if money isn't your goal, you can have a very satisfying career. Best of luck.

Feb 3, 14 11:49 am  · 
 · 
Volunteer

There are many paths to becoming an architect. Given the current state of the economy and the state of the profession is is wise to commit three years of your life and tens of thousands of dollars to a school if there are other paths available? Paths that make take more time but would get you there with no debt, and maybe money in the bank. I would look into the other paths, myself. You did not say why you are majoring in economics instead of accounting at the current time.

Feb 3, 14 12:28 pm  · 
 · 

dinkydoe you said this:

To build, to create, to draw, and use my hands.

Please be aware that if you become a traditional architect and work in a traditional firm you will spend very, very little time doing those things. You'll be using a computer to make graphic instructions for a contractor to build the idea that your boss created, you'll spend a TON of time on the phone and email making sure that the boss' instructions are being followed, and you'll likely never make anything three-dimensional with your hands at all.

SneakyPete's initial post is a good one.  Fine homebuilding might be excellent for you. If you want to build, like a craftsman, you will have far more opportunity to do so working for a small contractor doing carpentry and remodel work, then eventually using your business skills to start your own firm.  I strongly suggest that you visit a few traditional architecture firms and get a true sense of how those people work all day.  Call your local AIA office and ask them if they can suggest some architects who would let you visit their office for an hour - most architects would be happy to show you a slice of the profession, I imagine. Maybe your dad knows some?

I would also suggest that you finish your degree as quick as you can and plan to spend a few years investigating what your next path should be.  I love architecture and can't imagine doing anything else - but I don't do the things you list.  I problem solve, communicate, and manage all day; I don't create, rarely draw, never use my hands. I did all those things in grad school and LOVED it.  If I ever want to do that kind of creative-analysis drawing and making again, it will be after work, not during. Granted, mine is a very traditional architecture path, but you are young enough and the design professions are fluid enough now that you could make your own path much more easily.

The other thing is: you're 21.  You have your entire 20s to try things, make mistakes, learn, and move on. Don't commit to one thing right away.  Get a degree, then look for work that lets you explore the things you want to do, *then* decide if committing to an MArch program is a good idea FOR YOU or not.

Feb 3, 14 1:03 pm  · 
 · 
curtkram

your statement that you've started 'making sense of the ways things are' stands out to me.

when you were shunned for wanting to go to an art school, it's likely because your parents and the other people in your life care about you, and they were concerned if you follow that path you'll end up with a shitty job (or no job) that will ultimately lead you to more suffering.  you don't really love those hobbies so much when you have a client dictating the results and schedules pushing you to complete it before you're finished.  you love them even less when you're constantly stressed about not being able to pay for a place to live or food to eat.  a painter that can't afford paint or canvas isn't much of a painter.

it seems to me that your voyage of self-discovery has taught you that you're not happy on your current path.  it's certainly better to find a path that does make you happy.  however, you might note that if you do end up at a job you don't like, you will not be the first.  as you continue on your journey to self-actualization, instead of just focusing on what will make you happy, think perhaps of a middle ground where you have some things in your life that make you happy, but also perhaps some responsibilities that might not be so enjoyable.  for example, you could go to work as a banker or in construction or whatever, then use the income you gain from that stable job to buy the materials you need to create whatever art you like on weekends and/or vacation days.  part of living is sometimes doing things you don't like.

Feb 3, 14 1:27 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: