Archinect
anchor

Portfolio Critique, Please

jaficara

Hey all, 

I was hoping to get a critique of my current portfolio layout.  

I am a graduate of University of Michigan's BS Arch program, and am currently working with an architect on Long Island, NY in a full time capacity.  

I hope to go back to school and complete a MArch program in a year or two, and thus would appreciate any and all criticism/comments one might have in regards to my work/layout/palate choices/descriptions etc.. 

Also, I noticed a lot of graduate schools require electronic portfolio submissions with caps on the files size. As of now, my current pdf layout is out of control, so if anyone has any tips on how to flatten/reduce the size of a PDF as much as humanly/electronically possible, I could use anything you've got... 

Thanks in advance, 

John

http://issuu.com/jaficara/docs/ficara_portfolio

Jan 21, 14 9:38 pm
spqr

_one good, big rendering is always better than four small, similar renderings. 

_for file size: put text on a layer and images on a layer. turn off text layer. export pages as jpegs. make new layer for jpegs. place jpegs on respective pages. turn on text and turn off images. export as pdf.

Jan 22, 14 9:31 am  · 
 · 
Veuxx
Google Photoshop Save for Web.

Compile your high res jpgs into a PDF

I keep a web version high quality raster portfolio which is usually about 4mb and a full vector portfolio that is going to be a few hundred mb.

I always let them know a larger vector portfolio is available and I always print from the vector version. If it is going to solely be viewed electronically Photoshop save for web is fantastic.
Jan 22, 14 11:52 am  · 
 · 
Roshi

Best way to compress your portfolio: Save as a standard PDF, then open PDF, save as an EPS (postscript) file. This makes the file into a pure, raw format. Then open EPS file in Adobe Distiller, and distill the file (try standard settings at first, but you can play with high/smallest etc.). You can change the settings of your image resolutions through the Distiller settings.

Your file becomes unedittable (but not rasterized, the text and lines are all crisp). Use this only for final products.

Jan 22, 14 12:23 pm  · 
 · 

Your potfolio has so many images and I don't know what the important information is in each project. Also I don't understand the use of the black colour... in one page you use it to represent both the soil and the sky. Try to focus in less but powerful images, and rationalize the use of colours if you don't know how to use them very well. I hope this helps!! Good luck!!

Feb 5, 14 7:03 pm  · 
 · 
J_AFlores

Mariana CM is right,

Maybe you should try to consolidate some images and just represent the ones that tell the more or the most meaningful. Time to get back and polish it, then share it again. Good luck!

Feb 5, 14 7:27 pm  · 
 · 
cg_8
Easiest way is probably using Adobe InDesign. You create a book and when you export, export as a web version. The quality doesn't fall as you may think, but I've created some pretty complex 30 page portfolios with a final web version of around 4-5 mb.

Could probably get a 30 day trial for free. It's definitely something worth learning and worth utilizing for tribute portfolios.
Feb 5, 14 11:52 pm  · 
 · 
cg_8
*"future" not "tribute", darn autocorrect.
Feb 5, 14 11:53 pm  · 
 · 
BeaBea88

its nice, but too much going on. its stressful to look at

Mar 12, 14 4:53 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: