Archinect
anchor

Thank you for all the fish

Per--Corell
http://multimedia.pol.dk/archive/00371/ANL_Rendering_03_371834c.jpg

Sad it is not easy to place an image in the first post,. --- but I will thank you all for the publicity when 3dh was once published here. Case this structure had been published back then, it would have been quite different words we would read. Now a few of the fierce oppoments must be still around, I wonder what some of you say today after so many structures clearly has been inspired by 3dh. My only concern, being the one who happily published this concept, is offcaurse, if BIG maneage to see thru the smart looks of such a structure, and realise what gains can be achived with the basic idea, of structures generated in such different a way, compared the old Lego Thinking. --- Or if this is just another surface wanting to look as if it is a 3dh, without the gains and options in a new way to put things together.

Aug 27, 09 8:53 am
liberty bell

Per, HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!

(It is today, right?) How old are you?

Aug 27, 09 9:02 am  · 
 · 
Ms Beary

how do you know per's birthday?!?!?

Aug 27, 09 9:06 am  · 
 · 
Per--Corell

Na tomorrow, but thank's. Born 1950 btw.

This is for you

Aug 27, 09 9:07 am  · 
 · 
Per--Corell

Guess you all who followed the 3dh story, know that I am all happy for the impac I seen it had. But why stay with the looks when so much can be gained by a bold attitude skipping the old, and investing in a new manufactoring, a new way to build not just a building structure, but so much else. What other method can solve so many of today's problems.
NASA said the only wrong thing about 3dh, was it was 20 years ahead it's time. Everyone here, who know what it would mean if computers realy was allowed to calculate the structure, what it would mean when there are basicly only one type of materials needed and who know how simple a NC cutter work, will also know what wonders this 3dh could maneage.

Sorry about the size of the image, I allway's forget. I was surprised about it, but I acturly sell my paintings.

Aug 27, 09 9:15 am  · 
 · 
brian buchalski

wow. that's great, per. glad to hear about the fish.

Aug 27, 09 10:03 am  · 
 · 
le bossman

I thought this was going to be a reference to the fourth book in the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy saga...

Aug 27, 09 10:36 am  · 
 · 

Nice image Per

Aug 27, 09 11:01 am  · 
 · 

The Wrestler!

Aug 27, 09 11:35 am  · 
 · 
Per--Corell

This is my latest painting, acrylics on masonit. The two before was same concept, those was varnished and painted with heavier acrylics, one white the other silver.

That is different than the tradisional grafitti way, these are painted elsewhere and maybe in several pieces, nailed onto the wooden fence.

Aug 27, 09 3:28 pm  · 
 · 
Per--Corell

Whole image ;

http://www.cybergalleriet.dk/galleries/1586/images/84a82bf76ba6850.51881788.jpg

If you look closer to the corners, tou will see this is nailed onto a fence ;

Aug 27, 09 3:31 pm  · 
 · 
Distant Unicorn
Aug 27, 09 4:09 pm  · 
 · 
Per--Corell

Realy oroishi I don't understand why this image, what is it some cheap casted plastic box ? If you don't know I can tell you it has no relation to 3dh. What is that image saying, is it just a nice box you found ? Realy I don't get a clue from that image, Has it to do with paintings or is it something you made and want to show ?

Aug 27, 09 6:40 pm  · 
 · 
Distant Unicorn

it is prototypical 3dh!

Aug 27, 09 7:02 pm  · 
 · 
Per--Corell

That sound very interesting Orochi, could you tell a bit more about this prototype 3dh, like where the 3dh is relevant in this image, what porpus this prototype has, is it the box or the way it is made that make it a prototype all that sort of things will be most apriciated. Becaurse I am sure this is not some underdog who want the big guy's blessing so I am sure there are some very interesting issues about 3dh with that image, how the item is processed, projected, choice of materials , -- and I love to share these informations from you, on my birthday, I am positive sure you has something important on your mind, please share.

Aug 28, 09 7:09 am  · 
 · 
Per--Corell

Sorry, forgot to add an image, guess this is a privilege I can be allowed on this day. allow me to name it an "whatever"
My question to Orichi is then, if Orochi can suggest some other way to produce a "whatever", ---- a form that prove, that whatever can be desgned and manufactored, see that can not be named a prototype as such are a specific thing where these structures serve another porpus, to explain how thick headed engineers are when they fight the materials by forcing and bending them into place to produce a difficult form, here there are no forcing and bending or fighting the materials, that is the beauty of 3dh.

As you Orochi maybe can not imagine, this has been my presant to architects, back many years ago when the computers came, everyone was waiting for the miracle that would allow what everyone expected offcaurse would come, eveyone had an image of what the computer would bring of oppotunities, and it took me a decade to develob something that point in that direction. So with your answer in mind, subject line describe much more than you would imagine. And still no one answered my challance to come up with something even better.

Aug 28, 09 7:31 am  · 
 · 
randomized

even Ben v B is using '3DH'

Aug 31, 09 7:00 am  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Looking at that Ben van Berkel thing, one phrase comes to mind:

Per, you've been robbed.

Honestly, I think Per is going to join that long list of inventors who never see glory, or even credit, for their groundbreaking work, simply because they didn't get their name out there at the right time in the right circumstances. Who are all these other inventors, you ask? Well I don't know their names - of course.

Aug 31, 09 9:49 am  · 
 · 
Per--Corell

Well there is one issue I allway's mention ; the fact thar 3dh came at the right time, that someone in the right posision, -- please remember I did go to the Acadamy, I acturaly had four finished projects at the workshops for arts and crafts, in copenhagen. I do not bless the day when suddenly this picture, solving all the expertations of computer crafted design, I realised only an image of a computer generated building structure, --- if this will catch on I am pleased I did my job.

But beside that, I now paint some nice pictures
I do not know the structure in question, but I newer seen a 3gh attemt, that fully intergrated all the wins, of a new way to put things together, some designers still uses the tradisional 3 planes, those who don't newer understood the technike.
From what I see this design do not at all profit from how 3dh act, when used knowing it, knowing what wonders can be build for nothing but some cheap sheet material. --- Case your space ship shuld be build in Titanium, well a plywood design provide atleast 3 years. Sad to wait for the designer who can realise, that having a 3D model of it, is allmost as good as realy having it, as all is a question about method, and 3dh offer anything so cheap and so easy, --- case that image could be pushed, so 3dh will be reconised in not 20 but maybe 8 years, this would profit not just you, but everyone. See we need a lot of houses, and a lot of jobs and that ask people who can see thru the silli way we made everything, untill now.
Chiken ; guess what just one project cost, in the first I made the software to design free hand, unfold the intire wooden boat hull, into full scale drawings, unfolded everything, Exact measured and digital, 3dh came after my fourth project, but it also are a llesson about a naive inventor, are met in an architecture fora.
Sad that the old way's make so ugly and expensive houses and that the main aproach constructing these, are bound in century old technikes, 3dh as the first make an attemt, delivering something, so you can build anything, with 3D modeling, and it create a new industr. That the houses are so much more rugid by core structure, could be a loss for you. That it can build so much faster, something so cheap, is something designers at some point, will realise. Atleast the most lazy of them.

Still today I also paint :

Aug 31, 09 2:13 pm  · 
 · 
Per--Corell

What else can you expect an artist to do ?

Aug 31, 09 2:25 pm  · 
 · 
Per--Corell

But also there there are lazy designers, look this one I painted a serie of these, acryl on Masonit 122x60 Cm, long ago :

Searching with "Tineye" I found this :

Aug 31, 09 2:59 pm  · 
 · 
randomized

did you invent obama too?

Aug 31, 09 3:06 pm  · 
 · 
Per--Corell

Only two, this is another one thousands of people used it for taking their picture in front ;

Aug 31, 09 3:11 pm  · 
 · 
randomized

did you invent obama too?

Aug 31, 09 3:11 pm  · 
 · 
randomized

oops sorry for the double post.

Aug 31, 09 3:12 pm  · 
 · 
Per--Corell

Well as I told, only two but true, my aproach generaly to making things, is first look if it can e made different. In fact finding or inventing new methods, is the most powerfull attitude. It is not 3dh, but what you can make with 3dh. It is not hpw rigid design are today under the dictate of material shape and manufatorring, it is what freedom in terms of design, forming, adabting everything, that is possible with a new way to aproach design. If you at all design ; project and build, then you would know what an ease it would be, just forming building parts around obstakle, smoothing in pipework by subtracting Solids, --- and also by painting, I got most credit from those pieces, where most newthinking was due.

Aug 31, 09 3:20 pm  · 
 · 
Per--Corell

randomized double is not trible, To design, calculate and invent one must know te difference. But let's level as it usealy end ; please inform me about a better system. See this 3dh is only a tool that one uses, going from 3D model, to manufactored building parts, so tell me one more innovative or stop reacting by tics towerds it, just becaurse it is different. Do not substitude bullying with genuine newthinking, it is an art provoking but any bully can provoke someone. See I paint and that is my joy, if yours are teasing someone or maybe being attracted to that act, well then the best way is to show something better than 3dh, years learnbed me that there allway's be some to bored to themself do one of the inventions so important today, what they do is to go to the places where some naive guy ghappily share a great idea, naturaly that I see perverted as I met such existances silli arguments : clowns without witts.

Aug 31, 09 3:38 pm  · 
 · 
Per--Corell

Exactly like my challance to you, please show me something to work so smooth describing just any form, by structure, ---- teasers newer answer that one, and please know the reson is not that they wouldn't,-- they would love to, but they are without fantasie, without handycraft skills, --- show a way to generate such unbound form ;

Aug 31, 09 3:45 pm  · 
 · 
Per--Corell

Atleast just show something positive ....

Aug 31, 09 3:46 pm  · 
 · 
randomized

+

Aug 31, 09 5:47 pm  · 
 · 
Distant Unicorn

I took you up on your challenge, Per.

I'll need about 30 minutes to through up, 3dh orochi-style.

Aug 31, 09 8:13 pm  · 
 · 
Per--Corell

So you can publish a brand new building mrthod now, I am realy looking forwerds to that. If Randomised also take up the challance there will be one more, --- only strange that it is only now someone start solving the problems in today's architecture, so we can get a lot of new jobs, make a new architecture so people can get their houses rebuild, better and stronger. But it is strange no one have had the fantasy yet, to suggest something so new and promising as 3dh. We need the jobs, the houses and the new industrie, --- if it is so easy to figure out a new method, I find it strange no one realy abswered the challance.

Sep 1, 09 3:44 am  · 
 · 
Distant Unicorn

hold on per, last render just finished!

Sep 1, 09 3:49 am  · 
 · 
Distant Unicorn
SIDE

ISO

I call it 5dh.

The reason? Each "cell" structure in the super structure has a 5 line radial symmetry. This means any original cell can be rotated a number of times yet still maintain pattern regularity with the original structure.

Along with many of the advantages of 3dh, 5dh is clearly superior in some aspects.

*5dh requires less materials as smaller components are used.

*5dh produces less waste because 5dh does not depend on complex cuts or curvature in assembly.

*5dh can easily handle larger changes in lateral movements-- meaning the super structure is superior in safety.

*5dh is easier to outfit with skins and cladding.

*5dh's super structure produces perfect cubes. Any number of interior cell structures can be removed easily forming perfect cubes and golden rectangles.

*5dh's geometry is based of 5ths and 7ths meaning that every point at which beams cross is of perfect proportion.

*5dh provides many architectural alternatives to interior decor. The number of shapes produced by crossing beams means that interior structural work can be functional and decorative. These shapes include pentagons, stars, diamonds, squares and rhombus.

*5dh is interoperable with common orthogonal and complex geometries.

*5dh is interlocking-- meaning structures can easily be built without hardware.

*5dh has cultural significance as the geometry used in 5dh is derived from the occult and alchemical diagrams.

*5dh relies on less complicated machining and manufacturing techniques.

I think that about covers it.

Sep 1, 09 4:07 am  · 
 · 
Distant Unicorn

Oh, also 5dh forms perfect rhombus and cubes meaning that the pattern can be further tessellated into more complex structures.

Sep 1, 09 4:11 am  · 
 · 
randomized
If RandomiZed also take up the challance there will be one more

why should I enter this game? I post an image as a tribute to 3dh and ask you jokingly if you invented Obama and that's the thanks I get. Oh and I posted something positive(+). So no I don't want to take up your challenge, it's just a structural trick, no architecture. But I have to give you this, like most good architecture it leaks, so maybe I am mistaken. Happy painting to you. by Andy Warhol

Sep 1, 09 4:50 am  · 
 · 
Per--Corell

Orochi That is a most relevant structure, I apriciate every attemt to allow the computer to work different than today, where the attitude is to place a symbol and add that to a database, where allowing the program to calculate the structure, the gain is obvious by logistics. No reson to pick or place a building compoment, if the computer after generating it, by automatic can store it, can hold the information to produce it, can add it's information and calculate things like weight or cost by automatic.
Now if what you suggest is better og less better than 3dh only a test build can show. But please remember that a 3D model can be a complex thing. It can hold hollows and stairs , it can show lead way's for pipes and air, --- now all that is free as a side effect of how 3dh work. In fact you can trust 3dh so much, that when sections are assembled, even you did not "put it there", each room, each subtracted Solid forming a hollow tube internal the structure will be there. Wat you fight with your suggestion, is still the tree tradisional construction planes, they still dictate what you are allowed to form, and this is realy a compleate other world, than 3dh. --- It is nearer the tradisional aproach and looks a lot like many other structures, where the gain shuld be, to use standard and simular Lego blocks, to gain efficiency that way.
But 3dh is a different Lego, -- the blocks do not try build the whole from one unit blocks, 3dh form each individual block to it's porpus and please do not think, that today that aproach, shuld be less efficient, than the standard block aproach, why shuld it with high efficient fabrication.
With using a standard size block one shuld think this to be the most efficient and high tech solution, but that idea are in fact the oldest of them all, but that idea also are so cemented to be top efficient, in most peoples heads, in fact it is low tech., as even a uniform building part can be made with low tech tools everywhere, then don't you think computers shuld be able to compeed with that ?

True, computers and the way they are ysed most commenly, is not very efficient. But that is becaurse the programs is written as a copy of how things allready are made, timber constructions for decades taken use of various assmebly princips, but planks and timbers are strait, and it is that that decide the designs, also the design you place, --- I see that more as a limitation due to the pieces form, than a smart assembly.

Sep 1, 09 9:07 am  · 
 · 
Per--Corell

I call it 5dh.

"The reason? Each "cell" structure in the super structure has a 5 line radial symmetry. This means any original cell can be rotated a number of times yet still maintain pattern regularity with the original structure."

But it is also a limitation, it limit the form to strait lines and cubes.

"Along with many of the advantages of 3dh, 5dh is clearly superior in some aspects."

Yes, the pieces do not need to be cut by a computer routed mashin.

"*5dh requires less materials as smaller components are used."

But that depend, -- there are a lot of spill you do not see.

"*5dh produces less waste because 5dh does not depend on complex cuts or curvature in assembly."

The cuts in sheet material are not complex for the NC cutter, Curvance is a side effect that 3dh offer as cutting the frames for a 3dh structure, there are no difference if the cut is strait or curved, ontop allmost anything that was once drilled or routered even round holes, are today cut by the same mashines, that can handle 3dh frames.

"*5dh can easily handle larger changes in lateral movements-- meaning the super structure is superior in safety."

The box structure with 3dh offer the same and proberly dependant of design, more safty, --- the forces that with that structure is locked within and pointed to specific pieces, ar with 3dh displaced to a number of members, forces in a box structure as 3dh is even transformed into forces that work paralell with the surface cover.

"*5dh is easier to outfit with skins and cladding."

The 3d model for the 3dh internal structure, aswell can be unfolded into the surfaces covering it. Even floors and walls.

"*5dh's super structure produces perfect cubes. Any number of interior cell structures can be removed easily forming perfect cubes and golden rectangles."

Sorry the argument is failing, what if you don't want cubes, what if you do not want a box aeroplane, a box ship.

"*5dh's geometry is based of 5ths and 7ths meaning that every point at which beams cross is of perfect proportion."

Also a huge limitation, with 3dh you need not vorry about that.

"*5dh provides many architectural alternatives to interior decor. The number of shapes produced by crossing beams means that interior structural work can be functional and decorative. These shapes include pentagons, stars, diamonds, squares and rhombus."

So do 3dh, only a lot less complex in projecting.

"*5dh is interoperable with common orthogonal and complex geometries."

3Dh can be formed to anything, it can even incapsulate a heavy beam.

"*5dh is interlocking-- meaning structures can easily be built without hardware."

A building projected down detail, must be more efficient all way's.

"*5dh has cultural significance as the geometry used in 5dh is derived from the occult and alchemical diagrams."

Exactly those that make the greatest barrier, -- 3dh offer that to but anything beside that ontop. You can make the same with 3dh it is only a question about the model.

"*5dh relies on less complicated machining and manufacturing techniques."

But that is not as efficient as computers.

I think that about covers it.

Sep 1, 09 9:24 am  · 
 · 
Per--Corell

"I think that about covers it."

Well with 3dh, the 3D model is where you start, when the 3D model is made, when all the solids show the design exactly as you want it, -- with floors, hollow spaces for pipes, with everything that like in any other structure also will be covered with flat materials, that is when the model allmost to simple, can be made into a 3D lattrice consisting of materials that is cut 2D. No wondering no questions, even the surfaces of a round design, can be unfolded from the same 3D model that create the structure. Where tradisionaly you place various things, these things, even holes for the doors, exact fit for ready made windows, locks for curtain walls, everything is cut from the most simple material, and material as all it need to be is sheet form, can even be engineered to porpus. Beside what you maybe do not realise, --- a huge scale 3dh, can be "filled" with 3dh in a smaller scale or material, so 3dh is I guess much more capable than you imagine if you only imagine 3dh as one lattrice, then please know ehy I am sad not to gather the credit, as being the one who realised it, I also know it's further options, -- like when two different lattrices, pointing different directions, hold eachother.

Sep 1, 09 9:46 am  · 
 · 
simples

per...i remember begging (or suggesting) you to build something using your 3d-h methodology...even a shed...you could've made your point...you could've refined your theory...you could've been famous...

by the way, i dig your urban art...

Sep 1, 09 10:12 am  · 
 · 
Per--Corell

Thank's , about the urban art it work like this, that some times some local living here ask me if I can paint a particular person, --- Obama as one, -- I then ask around if others think it's an idea, and in this case the guy who wanted "another" Obama ( some jerk overpainted the last one with sad Grafitti, if it just had been good Grafitti, but no it was some silli amature --- anyway even I refined technikes so I paint fast, then it do cost and it do take preparations, but that is how it work, halve of my pieces are what local people want to see, the other halve are what I want to see, they can't paint I can, what else do opne expect from an artist.

About 3dh my hope was that the 3d drawings could presave others to build and try the method. I now realise that I know the system is simple and wonders can be build. But only very few realise how far it can go, --- As some know I was a good boatsbuilder and that was my basics, knowing structures that advanced as a ships hull in fact is, --- only compleatly ignorant or yellow amatures would question that, and that to became my experience ; some people want fame that much that they think it count for anyone else. And some guy who publish a fantastic new method, can only do that, becaurse he want to become famous.....
Silli when you like me is all into it, when I build something, so much into it, that I give a damn about what others think. Well I proberly has more years at the acadamy than majorrty of those who over the years been so cemented in their mind, about this 3dh they don't understand anyway, -- but the lesson for me, has been about people, about what charecters you find on the web, how you are met, when you go to a place like this, and by profesional basics know this thing can make a revolution in architecture. Still I know I done what I can to share an idea much greater than average readers here can imagine. But true, In times I has been very disapointed about how dull and bitching debates about sweet new building methods can be, --- and I realised, that publishing 3dh, did not make me the oppotunity I had hoped for ; to many fierce and unfriendly replies for that.

Sep 1, 09 12:01 pm  · 
 · 
Per--Corell

Reson architecture leak, is that no one maneage to reach the obvious gain. Now computers realy offer you the tools to create all those jobs, a new understanding of the structure, like 3dh invoke. There are no stubid engineers left, who can't just see, that offcaurse 3dh work. The key creating good jobs could indeed be nice cheap houses ; but why blame me that no one offered me the oppotunity, I could have done it you see. But you Romans expect rocket technology for free, you see a bunch of nice 3dh building designs in the groups explaining 3dh, why blame that I did not get the ooppotunity even I had the background -- only thing about this crisis is, that when newthinking and innovation can save the world, how come the ones who realy know the solutions, and can build a boat don't get the chance I wonder. I know what can be made by 3dh and it hurt to know, that something so smart, don't get the chance profiting so many, that will need a cheap and stronger house, profiting changing compleatly to digital, even put things together in new way's , --- As I said, I am pleased just to know it has been published, and the chinese as the only ones to publish it.

Sep 1, 09 2:15 pm  · 
 · 
Per--Corell

I still wonder, why so few has realised, what a brand new way, to make things can change just everything. Anyway happy some of you found my Facebook profile.

Oct 10, 10 3:15 pm  · 
 · 
weAREtheSTONES

I cant believe you are still trying to convince people of this program. Dont you give up?

Oct 11, 10 5:08 pm  · 
 · 

is 3dh a programme? Or a way of life?

Oct 11, 10 6:13 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: