Archinect
anchor

crestfallen undergrad seeks advice

frequent

I will give you the dry, short version:

I would like to pursue a career in architecture. So, that means I will be seeking a MArch degree in a few years. While I am currently pursuing an undergrad degree in an unrelated field, what can I do currently to prepare and make myself more competitive? What do graduate schools look for in applicants such as myself, with no background in architecture or a related field?

I feel a little hopeless and lost, and I don't know where to start.

Background:

I am currently a sophomore at a university with no art programs. 

Thank you

Jan 16, 14 2:12 am
snail

Take an art class somewhere else, or see if there is at least some kind of club or activity involving drawing, and/or start sketching from life on your own. You could also look at art and/or architecture summer programs. If you can do 20+ pages of reasonably decent art, that should be enough.

Jan 16, 14 2:55 am  · 
 · 

I'm not sure why you're "crestfallen" because if you play the game right you should be in fine shape.

What do schools look for in applicants with no background?

1- As a baseline, probably some competence in your current major.  You don't need to be exceptional, but if you are failling to maintain at least an average GPA then that won't help. 

2- You'll need to express some degree of artistic proficiency via your portfolio.  Probably you'll need to take some kind of approved drawing class as a minimum requirement.  But having said that, there's no reason you can't start practicing drawing right now.  All you really need is a piece of paper, pencil and a will to do it.

3-  Assuming you've meet the minimum reequriements refered to in points 1 & 2 above, the thing that grad schools really want are interesting people who will participate in discussion.  This is where you have real opportunity to seperate yourself from the bulk of students who are applying straight out of undergrad programs geared towards leading to architecture. 

Cultivate your interests beyond the classroom with involvement in extracuriculars.  After graduation, instead of applying to arch school immediately, take 3-4 years to work (or volunteer if you can affort) in interesting projects.  Keep up the extra-curricular interests too.  The big picture idea is to present yourself to graduate schools as a curious, passionate and driven person whose varied experiences have collectively nudged you towards one conclusion; architecture grad school.

As a sophmore, you've easily got a window of 2-6 years to prepare your case and if you do it well, then there's no reason you shouldn't be able to get into an architecture school.  Even if you are a shitty drawer right now, you got plenty of time to learn and practice.

Jan 16, 14 10:25 am  · 
 · 
x-jla

the best way to learn drawing is to draw.  drawing classes are a huge waste of time imo.  

Jan 16, 14 12:05 pm  · 
 · 

I agree that drawing classes can be overkill becasue it's really jsut a matter of practice. Howevah, a good drawing teacher/critic can be very helpful in setting a student on the right track.  It's difficult to explain quickly in writing but being a good drawer has as more to do with training your eye than your hand.

Also, drawing courses are likely a requried prerequisite for arch school.

Jan 16, 14 3:29 pm  · 
 · 
ARCHCareersGuide.com

Aside from what has been shared above, visit an architecture school to see the culture, studios, meet with students and faculty.  

Look -- the most important skill of an architect is to see; go look at your environment and see the architecture and draw it.

Read about architecture - visit a library or read about it online.

Although you share that you are studying in an unrelated field, make it related and do an Ind. Study your junior or senior year on the topic of architecture and your field.

Obtain a summer position developing skills of an architect.

Best.

Jan 18, 14 8:02 am  · 
 · 
boy in a well

a decade of drawing cant compare to a semester with a good drawing teacher.

otherwise all the "check my portfolio" threads would be awesome - which they aren't.

Jan 18, 14 8:41 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: