Archinect
anchor

How little hours do I need to work in order to go to school?

manoverde84

I hear arch school is intense and that it would be unwise to work full time and go to school. But even though I'm getting the basic courses at CC and the first year I'll just be taking technical arch drawing, auto cad and rendering, the second year I plan to take a few design courses, revitt, and a portfolio course to apply to grad school. 

How much should I scale back my hours at work? I was thinking I could still work four days outta the week full eight hours and have three days to take courses and work on drawings, studios and models. 

Is that still too much work? Should I scale down to three days? 

N

Jan 10, 14 11:06 pm
Non Sequitur

Depends on the school's curriculum. I remember spending 60 to 80 hours a week (inc weekends) on studio and elective courses while in undergrad but I held steady part-time jobs until graduation. It all depends on how fast you learn and how you manage your time; however, the idea that you can complete arch school doing the minimum is rather sad. Your future employment opportunities reflect highly on the quality of your portfolio and your ability to communicate through construction details.

But, unless the school you join is some fly-by-night discount degree place, your idea of 3 days to do courses and studio work is fantasy. Treat studio as the equivalent of a 1 & 1/2 full time job.

Jan 10, 14 11:23 pm  · 
 · 
manoverde84

I see. So it will take up a lot of my time? Way more than I thought! It's literally like going to med school or something. Ok so I'm knocking my day job down to three days so the other four will be purely studio and courses. 

Jan 10, 14 11:37 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

I've done entrance interviews for undergrad applications and you would not believe the number of students who come in and claim that they want to keep their 30hr per week jobs, join 2 or 3 sport teams, travel back home every weekend, etc, etc, etc. I don't think we gave any such applicant a passing interview grade resulting in an entrance offer.

Again, depends on the quality of the school & what the program expects from their students. I am sure they must have some form of open house of "best of X class" for you to compare.

Jan 11, 14 12:00 am  · 
 · 
Medusa

If you manage your time efficiently, you should be able to work 20-30 hours a week during most of the semester and scale back to 10-15 hours during finals or charettes.  I did a few 18-credit semesters working this way and I managed to do fine.  While I attended a regular old state school and not a prestigious Ivy League program, I can also say that I have been gainfully and consistently employed since graduation which is more than I can say for some of my Ivy League counterparts.

The secret is to choose your school wisely (i.e. chose the school where you will have to pay the least so you are not saddled with debt), make sure your employer understands that at times you may need to scale back your hours, and remember that design studio is just a class like any other class.

Jan 11, 14 10:56 am  · 
 · 

In general, if we're talking undergrad, avoid work altogether & focus on classes.  As a youngster you'll need plenty of time to experiment and figure out how to deal with studio work successfully.  Archikomori!

An older student in grad school might be better able to pull off more working hours because of the experience in knowing how to tackle studio projects.

What kind of work are you doing?  Is it arch related?  If yes, then it might be value to keep the gig part-time but if you're working in something non-related to architecture then it might be best to  minimze your involvemtne.

Jan 11, 14 11:08 am  · 
 · 
manoverde84

I'm working in non related field. It's just to pay some bills. I'm too old not to have a job and go to school full time and I need the extra cash. 

I like the fact that I'm in LA and there are a lot of arch firms, museums, studios etc dedicated to arch and I will try to land a part time gig with them. 

i just want to work 24 hours to keep paying for school. 

Jan 11, 14 11:13 am  · 
 · 
manoverde84

Off the wall question and I hope I don't look like an idiot but sincere family is already in the construction biz and getting a job there wouldn't be too difficult, I was wondering if an urban planning degree with a specialization in urban design would be at all relevant to do construction management?  

I figured if arch school was too much and really I'm getting in this to do project management and I want something a little more creative than a construction science degree, I could perhaps study what I really want; urban design. I'm still taking the basic drafting, arch drawing, auto cad, revitt courses, basically a certificate in arch. 

your thoughts. I know I'm all over the place but what do u guys think?

Jan 11, 14 11:25 am  · 
 · 
snail

If you really want to do urban planning instead of architecture, then do that. I would also avoid taking any classes that only cover technical subjects like drafting, because they won't tell you anything about architecture itself. You should start with a design class and see if you like it before you invest more time and energy going further.

Jan 11, 14 5:46 pm  · 
 · 
manoverde84

Absolutely. I will also take a few design courses. Which ones should I take at the basic CC level? 

Jan 11, 14 6:51 pm  · 
 · 
MyDream

I have to agree with the OP on the work hours thing. I'm having some major difficulties in time management I have to reschedule for the second time for student orientation for the 24th of this month I have to take a flex start course i think will start on the 27 of February or i might be able to to start on the 10 of feb. Has anyone taken a flex start course? 

Jan 13, 14 12:57 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: