Archinect
anchor

Premature "What Are My Chances" M. Arch 1 (low GPA, non-arch degree)

TheAIK

Hey everyone,
So it’s about 330 days until applications for Fall 2015 M. Arch is due, and I’m just wondering if I’m dreaming a little too big based on my stats. I wanted to get your opinion.

- 22/BS Economics and Math from Northeastern University/American
- Minor in Architectural History and Urban Studies
- GPA: 3.03 (bad, I know)
- GRE: TBD
- Portfolio: Will consists of work from 3 undergrad architecture studio classes, freelance graphic design work (I design a small t-shirt line), as well as some woodwork I do
- Recommendations: 1 employer, 2 professors (1 economics and 1 architecture), and hopefully 1 more

- 2 Internships in small architecture firms, 1 in FL and 1 in NY
- Working on FL General Contractor’s License (worth it?)
- Working on LEED Green Associate Certification (worth it?)
- Currently a Project Manager at a small Real Estate Management firm
- Attending Columbia’s Intro to Architecture course this summer
- Considering going for the NY portion of Columbia’s NY/Paris program (worth it?)

The schools I’m shooting for (in order to preference):
1. Columbia GSAPP
2. City College of NY
3. Georgia Tech
4. University of Florida
5. University of Miami
6. Parsons

So and I dreaming too big? If I get a stellar GRE score will it offset my mediocre GPA? Will the certifications I’m going for help my app (I would do the GC anyway, but will the LEED help)?

Thanks for all your input!

Jan 10, 14 11:20 am
observant

Shit, and here I was thinking 2.4 in basket weaving and peddling coffee at Starbucks.

Your chances are good:

- over 3.0 is fine

- get a good GRE

- your minor is an interesting counterpoint to econ and shows breadth

- the summer architecture program is good thing to have under your belt

- your work experience is very relevant, being in an allied field - play it up in the essay

- you have some arch. design studios under your belt

The portfolio is the key ingredient.  Make sure you arch. design work is nicely presented.  Ditto for your woodwork.  Can you add some well done photography?  I'm concerned that a t-shirt line could border on cheesy and commercial.  Ask others who can opine on the designs.  You're a little overzealous in other certifications.  Skip GC for now and defer LEED to later, unless they're doable prior to a-school.

I'd say you're strong at CCNY, UF, and even Miami.  Columbia is tough.  GT is fairly tough.  Personally, I'd go for GT and UF, in that order.  I know next to nothing about Parsons, except that it trains people in artsier fields.  (I know next to nothing about a-schools that are not in traditional, comprehensive universities.  Not my thing.)

Hope this helps.

Jan 10, 14 11:33 am  · 
 · 
C. Watts

People have posted lower GPA's on here and gotten into good graduate schools.  At least you are over a 3.0, that tends to be a common cut off.  The portfolio is the number one factor, so grades can be over looked.  I don't know much about acceptance rates for non-arch degree students, but at UCLA they said about 1/3 of their incoming class is non-arch background. That's all I know. 

As for the GRE, I've always been told that as long as you don't completely bomb it and make yourself look like an idiot, then it isn't a huge factor.  My case is opposite to yours, I have a strong GPA, but a below average GRE (I just finished applying for Fall 2014, i hate that damn test..) However, Columbia does have a cut off Verbal GRE score of 150 (they are the only school that I know of that has a strict cut-off).  I would recommend magoosh for GRE prep. Take it early so you can take it again if needed. 

Jan 10, 14 11:43 am  · 
 · 

GPA is usually not too relevent for architecture and the 3.03 clears the min barrier.  GRE scores dont' matter a great deal either.  Many arch schools arctually list these because they are university-wide requirements but the arch school itself may admit applicants with below minimum numbers.

Most will argue that portfolio is key.  And that is true to an extent but your real leverage is diversity of experience.  The challenge is to use the portfolio and essays to convey the value of your esxperience and sell them on your potetnitial as an architect.

Given the macro context where students are becoming wary of the valeu of college degrees (causing some applications & enrollments to slip) while the American education ponzi scheme continues to need new blood, well, you'll get accepted somewhere.  The quality of the schools that you get accepted to really depends on how well you sell yourself via the portfolio and essays (and possibly in person viist) as mentioned above.

Also, while it's likely you'll be accepted somewhere, read the fine print.  Acceptance at an Ivy schol may boost the iego but if you need a large amount of debt to finance it then risk being played as a sucker.  Sometimes a lesser school that offers generous financial aid is the better path to being an archtect.

Good luck.

Jan 10, 14 11:55 am  · 
 · 
Roshi

You're never dreaming too big. Your qualifications are perfectly fine, in fact I'd say that your ahead of the game by having taken studio courses as a non-architect student and with you taking Columbia's prep course. Your work experience at such an age also won't hurt; make sure to emphasize that in your statement. Its always hard to gauge how qualified non-arch backgrounds in terms of a M.Arch.

Remember that you miss 100% of the shots you don't take (Gretzky?). Definitely apply to all of those schools. A few extra $85 app fees are worth the peace of mind that you get knowing that you tried. Asking your recommenders to copy/paste a few more letters (that's what most of them do anyway, and its not necessarily wrong) won't be hard on them. Make sure to take a few months to apply your portfolio and statement to each particular school.

Good luck!

Jan 10, 14 12:51 pm  · 
 · 
ShakeyDeal

As many have said above, you're in good shape. I just applied to grad school with lower GPA (2.78), and ugly GRE scores.  Hoping my work experience (urban planning background too), portfolio, and excellent SOP will keep me competitive.  Will keep you posted.

Jan 10, 14 3:36 pm  · 
 · 
Miss_Y2K

I would like to revive this thread since I'm in the same situation as many of you guys here. 

I was doing exactly the same brainstorming as @TheAIK. Have very similar academic/career backgrounds..Similar choice of school. Even the to do list looks identical..haha

- GRE prep in progress .. with MagooshGRE ;) 

- I'm taking a drawing course to develop some skills

- I'm also attending the Intro to Arch at Columbia! We may see each other in NYC :) 

- Did you finally get the LEED GA checked off on your list? I've been considering writing the exam but never been so convinced enough to put into action. @observant. You said "defer LEED to later, unless they're doable prior to a-school". In my case, if I do it my firm will pay for the exam and prep materials.. Should I push myself to get it done?

May 15, 14 5:11 pm  · 
 · 
TheAIK

First of all, a much belated thank you to everyone who replied, I took a lot of your advice and began working toward it, I finished my GRE and feel pretty good about what I got so now I'm working on my portfolio and personal statement.

Doing my research I found that a lot of schools deal with the concept of organic forms, and I feel like my existing work is, for lack of better word, boxy and kind of unimaginative. I want to develop some skills to break out of that. Any advice aside from taking the intro course?

@Miss_Y2K - Haha it seems the resemblance is uncanny! I did Magoosh and it was awesome! I started working on my LEED GA with a few prep books, and I talked to a friend who said he managed to study for it in a couple of weeks and took it. I think it's doable, I plan on getting it done before June is over and giving myself a few hours a day to study. I say go for it, if you have the time it really doesn't hurt. Hopefully I'll see you in New York!

May 15, 14 11:53 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: