Archinect
anchor

MBP 2.66 ghz vs. 2.93ghz

dm66048

Hi all-

I'm buying a new MBP and am trying to decide whether I should spend a few hundred more on going for the 2.93GHZ model instead of the 2.66GHZ model. The rest of the two computer's specs are identical: screen size, memory, harddrive, graphics, graphics memory etc. The difference in price is about $300. Will the faster processor be a better buy in the long run/will I notice the difference? Or is it only memory and graphics that I should be concerned about? Usage will be for drafting, 3D modeling, and rendering.

Not looking for a mac vs. pc debate.

Thanks.

Aug 1, 09 4:11 pm
rehiggins

for the majority of users, the graphics card only affects real-time display so spend your money on RAM and processing power/speed. You may not notice a day-to-day difference but you will get faster render times

Aug 3, 09 10:23 am  · 
 · 
spaceman spiff

you might want to google some techie sites that might have some reviews on rendering times for these two speeds...

one of the reasons i decided to buy my last computer was when i tested rendering times for the same file on my old machine and on a friend's new machine and realized i was three times slower...

you might want to set up a typical file and send it to friends who have MBP's at those speeds or see if any friendly archinecters will help you out...then compare and see if its worth it to you...

Aug 5, 09 10:22 pm  · 
 · 
Kardiogramm

Go for either of them, they are both suitable but you'll obviously get better performance from the faster processor. I have the 2.93ghz model and it's pretty nippy with modo, rhino and vectorworks. Vista runs as expected so if you need to for Autocad and the rest it'll be fine. Memory prices will decrease and you can upgrade to 8GB ram later on if you need to (it's easier than you think to install it). Also when snow leopard comes out you'll see a nice performance boost since it'll use multiple processing cores efficiently.

I guess if you went for the cheaper model you could possibly get a larger second hand external display for home use... it will make drafting a lot more pleasant.

Aug 5, 09 11:57 pm  · 
 · 
Carl Douglas (agfa8x)

buy the more expensive one. you'll feel bad about the 300 bucks for a few days until your computer arrives. then you'll forget all about it. your computer has got to last you for maybe three years, so there's no point skimping. max the ram, too. You won't regret that at all.

Aug 6, 09 1:14 am  · 
 · 
blah

There's no point in spending the extra money.

Know your software and make it sing!

Aug 6, 09 1:34 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: