Archinect
anchor

Referral Fees

big papi

Hello.

Just curious, is there some sort of professional standard for giving a referral fee to someone that brings a project to your firm? If so, does it vary based upon budget?

Any rules of thumb would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Jul 17, 09 11:39 am
dsc_arch

varies - 3-10% of the fee.

Jul 17, 09 11:58 am  · 
 · 
outed

depends - is it an employee? if so, i'd let them run the project and they get a percentage of the profit it makes.

if it's an outside lead, buy them a nice dinner and send them a great bottle of wine the next day unless you had some prior agreement.

10% of the fee is the entire profit - why take the project if you're giving up that much?

Jul 17, 09 12:05 pm  · 
 · 
greenbuilder

on that note, at what point is it suggested that i present a potential project to my boss? how developed should the project be? i get the feeling that i will in some way lose more and more of the suggested 3-10% referral fee as i let my boss in on the project. is this true?

Aug 16, 09 2:54 pm  · 
 · 
BlueGoose

I recognize this may be an unwelcome post, but over the years I've seen too many instances where junior staff adopt a grossly over-inflated view of the value of a referral to the firm.

The value of a referral is tied directly to the ability of the firm to actually close the transaction at a scope of service and fee level that will result in a successful project for the firm. If you can't make that happen on your own, then a finder's fee alone (maybe 1-2%) is warranted, at best.

If you take the long view, your ability to bring a consistent flow of new and profitable work to the firm is the surest path to partnership. An excessive short-term focus on capturing a finders fee suggests that you don't trust your firm to treat you fairly and recognize your contribution. If the trust level is that low, then I question why you want to bring the project to the firm in the first place.

Aug 16, 09 9:20 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: