Archinect
anchor

Last minute M.ARCH I portfolio review!

back_forth

Hi everyone!

Hope you're having a great holiday. I am about to send out my portfolio next week for several M.arch 1 programs and I would love some last minute advice! I still have to tweak small details like the page numbering. 

Portfolio Draft

Thanks and happy new year!

Dec 29, 13 12:02 pm
observant

Nice job.  I thought this was M.Arch. as in NO previous arch experience.  Clearly, you have a BA or BS in Architecture.

Name on cover, more so than back cover.  I suppose you could do both.

I like the breadth of the work.

One thing I noticed is that your convention of RH pagination skips a time or two, to no pagination.  Keep it consistent.  Use RH consistently, or just paginate both, but I prefer RH at all times.

Very austere inside cover page and table of contents; very different from the sometimes saturated remainder of the portfolio.  Why not use the inside to describe the front and rear covers?  Many publications do that.  Also, some color or a box for the contents.  Just brainstorming.

Cube - overhead view is well done!

Pages 4 and 5 - a little too much for my taste, especially page 4, and could use more white space

Pages 6 and 7 - is a little tightening up possible without losing content?

Page 9 - I see the division as columnar, yet what you put above concept sketches belongs more with B ... can you fix that?

Pages 13 and 14 - same comment as 4 and 5 (or are portfolios these days tending toward the fuller look?)

Pages 15 and 16 - captivating use of color

Trendwatching Office - pace and spacing is comfortable

Page 22 - too stark, almost matching the inside cover and TOC - can an exhibit with a different color background be moved here as a lead-in?

Toward end of portfolio - a possible 2 page spread of photography or drawings you have done?

There's a lot there showing you know what you're doing.  I would just reorganize and change the pacing or patterning a little.

Dec 29, 13 12:51 pm  · 
 · 
back_forth

Thanks a lot for the detailed advise observant. My background is in interior design so I have some exposure to architecture but not a degree in the discipline itself. It's nice to hear that the work comes off more architectural than interiors/decorative.

BTW what do you mean by RH pagination? 

Also, I would love  to add some more drawings but the page limit is 30 pages without accounting for covers and table of contents. 

I agree with the table of contents, I will  take another stab at it. 

Thanks again!

Dec 29, 13 1:11 pm  · 
 · 
observant

RH = right hand.

And not just the TOC, but the inside cover immediately upon opening, too.

Good luck!  Let us know.

Dec 29, 13 1:36 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: