Archinect
anchor

Yale MArch/MBA Program

freeezerburn

Hi All,

I was wondering if any posters/lurkers have had any experience with the Yale MArch/MBA program. I was thinking of applying to it, but the website doesn't give much information about pre-requisites or other qualifying criteria. What is the program like? Overwhelming? Helpful?

I just feel that having a business background/MBA would help if one wished to start an office, as I someday think I'd like to do, but would also be a good fallback if this whole architecture thing didn't work out.

Would just a 4 year BA in Arch qualify me? I only took AP Economics in high school, haha.

Thanks for any replies.

Jun 22, 09 11:36 am
stone
"would also be a good fallback if this whole architecture thing didn't work out"

what are the chances of that happening?

Actually, having an MBA is a great thing. However, I'd look carefully at whether you want to try to combine the two programs. I do know that both the Yale M.Arch and the Yale MBA program have the reputation for being rigorous programs. Are you sure you really want to bite off all of that at the same time?

You can get an education in business at almost any time at almost any university, if you're so inclined. I think the main advantage of getting an MBA at Yale would come from who you are able to meet -- and establish relationships with -- during the educational experience. In the long run, that might be worth more than the education itself.

Jun 22, 09 12:17 pm  · 
 · 
freeezerburn

The chances of that happening are slim but you never know...

I know that the program staggers the work load, and you wind up spending an extra year in school. I realize a lot of the advantages of MBA programs are network-related, but I just figured it might be best to kill 2 birds with one stone and not have to spend months applying to school again when I wanted to go back for an MBA (not to mention an extra year of school itself, as normal MBA programs are 2 years).

I do worry that if I were to do the program my design work and education might suffer, which is what I truly care about, but that's why I ask if anyone has any experience with the program here on Archinect.

Jun 22, 09 12:38 pm  · 
 · 
commuter

Getting an MBA to "help if one wished to start an office" is overkill and not really what you'd be learning in an MBA program. In an MBA program you'll be learning about bigger and more complicated things like financial markets, marketing strategies, global economics. Not book keeping and how to get architecture jobs for your office.

I also think you are underestimating how much work an MBA program is. There is going to be nearly as much work in the MBA proram as your MArch. There will be lots of group projects and presentations after you finish the intro, math intensive courses.

If you want to learn how to run an office, there are plenty of continuing education and business development classes that you can take while you're working.

Jun 22, 09 12:54 pm  · 
 · 
marlowe

I can't speak to Yale's program but I agree that the idea of a concurrent MBA/M.Arch program seems daunting.

I'm starting an MBA program at Emory soon and after review the reading lists and schedule, it's going to be an intense 2 years.

MBA's are a good thing despte the fact that the idea of formal business education seems to spook most of the architects in our office.

Jun 22, 09 12:58 pm  · 
 · 
freeezerburn

Thanks all for your responses.

I agree, Marlowe, I think that I would like to be well versed in business and finances, especially in the post-2008 economic environment, where the complexities and shadiness of finance has been revealed.

That said, perhaps some on this thread are correct, that the specific things I would like an MBA for, namely setting up and running an office in the longterm, are not necessarily things I need an MBA to learn.

Marlowe: would you mind elaborating on your reasons for getting an MBA/how you think it'd affect your practice, business sense, and prof. outlook?

Jun 22, 09 1:22 pm  · 
 · 
stone

fb ... in addition to my architecture degree I also have an MBA from one of the top business schools ... I was thinking I wanted a career in real estate.

As the business partner of our firm, I can tell you that the MBA is way more than I really need to do this job. A good smattering of accounting and finance is very useful, as is some training in human resources. But, the vast majority of the other stuff you need to run a firm (contracts, marketing professional services, organizing project teams) really isn't taught in the typical MBA program ... they typically aim at a totally different audience.

I don't regret pursuing the extra degree ... I just don't need it to do what I do today. Common sense and a willingness to think about such topics as profit and cost control are way more useful.

Jun 22, 09 1:40 pm  · 
 · 
scottaway

FB, my understanding from friends who have gone to Yale for their M.Arch is that it's pretty easy to take a class or two at the b-school during architecture school. Taking a basic economics or finance class would give you a lot of knowledge and even analytical tools for considering architectural business strategy.

It seems like the biggest advantage of getting an actual MBA (as opposed to taking a couple of classes in finance or accounting or marketing) is mostly in that it gives you a foot in the door to working at companies that only hire MBAs for certain positions - e.g. most investment banks, major consultancies, and Fortune 500 companies.

If you're not interested in climbing the corporate ladder, save you money and time.

Jun 22, 09 3:44 pm  · 
 · 
j'aime

is there any positive views on the M.arch/M.B.A. programs????

Jun 26, 09 4:21 pm  · 
 · 
freeezerburn

...or views from someone who actually did it?

Jun 26, 09 4:22 pm  · 
 · 
joben

I guess like you freezerburn I assumed getting a double MBA/March would help me open up my own firm... after reading some of the posts on this thread, however, I am thinking maybe taking a few buisness courses will be all we might need... I dont have the credentials to get into Yales dual program but was looking more towards Whartons dual MBA/MArch program. I figured with the way the economy is, the future of architecture, like most other fields will require alot more than just getting an MArch in order to get a good job in architecture. With that being said I wanted to get a dual degree in something that I thought would be the most beneficial and would give me a bit of an edge... I have been contemplating getting a dual degree in Urban Planning/MArch and than maybe taking a few buisness courses... this could be an option for you too if you have any interest in urban planning/design... the two fields are very similar, and urban planning might be a better "fall back" if the whole arch thing doesnt come through, just an option. If anyone has any feedback on this please let me know cause I too am kind of in the same boat with not really knowing what course of action to take.

Jun 26, 09 8:26 pm  · 
 · 
freeezerburn

that's frEEEzerburn to you, pal! =)

Jun 26, 09 8:34 pm  · 
 · 
ridwanarifin

i think this subject will be work for person who pursue career in government sector or private sector that moving on real estate/property/consultant and infrastructure development who has an idea creating new system.

Jun 12, 18 1:36 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: