Archinect
anchor

Manhattan Transcripts - Tschumi

modz

Hola,

Can someone enlighten me about the Manhattan Transcripts, . . .
I tried to go through the 'whatever-little-text' that has been written before the images . . . but even that could not prepare me to comprehend the 4 chapters, MT 1, MT 2, MT 3, MT 4 . . .

Would be great if someone has understood what Tschumi is trying to say from the images . . .

From whatever little I could make out is that he is trying to sequentialise the images to convey the message written under every chapter . . .

but what do those images mean? the image, the plan . . . what is he trying to say from those? even a little example might help me to understand the rest of it . . .

Cheerios . . .

Jun 7, 09 12:47 pm
montu

life- a series of stage sets- we are all actors in a grand play-design participates in this choreography.

Jun 7, 09 2:55 pm  · 
 · 
modz

okay montu! but can you elaborate on the book! ? :)

Jun 7, 09 3:50 pm  · 
 · 
randomized

or this one

Jun 7, 09 5:07 pm  · 
 · 
aspect

i read it many years ago, i fadely remember that he talked about the montages strategy of the residual spaces... the crossing over of programes to produces accidental events + the spaces that is not pre-programed by architects... i could be wrong^^

Jun 7, 09 11:23 pm  · 
 · 
modz

@ randomized - yea mate, Architecture and Disjunction i can retrieve . . .
do u mean to say that manhattan transcripts is elaborately explained in these books you've mentioned???

@ aspect - you're correct on the part that tschumi talks about the montage strategy of spaces with different functional nature . . .
BUT, how does the book 'MT' exemplify it? i can understand the images and thus, cant link them . . .

Jun 8, 09 1:07 am  · 
 · 
modz

I meant to say, I CANT understand the images, and thus cant link them to one another. . ..

Jun 8, 09 1:08 am  · 
 · 
aspect

i do not remember the images look like, i think he was mapping the conflictive space in the city, the murder scene, the unseen... his intention is to juxapose unrelated images to allow the audience free interpretation of the montages... i could be wrong^^

Jun 8, 09 1:59 am  · 
 · 
modz

hmm :) i like the way you also allow the reader to a free interpretation, if ure right or wrong by adding 'i could be wrong ^^' !! :)

Jun 8, 09 2:16 am  · 
 · 
randomized

modz - not sure what you mean by elaborately, but it must come up in those books to some degree it's the foundation of his oeuvre. maybe also check other authors who wrote about the topic to get an interpretation, a quick search with google scholar:

Twenty Years After (Deconstructivism): An Interview with Bernard Tschumi
Michele Costanzo

Abstract
Michele Costanzo interviews Bernard Tschumi about his work and his vision of the changing field of contemporary design research. How do the younger generation of students receive Tschumi's seminal theoretical works? Is a lack of time merely the current scapegoat for a more considered conceptual approach? How does Tschumi view the proliferation of architectural fetishes in the urban landscape? How is his own theoretical landscape shifting?

or this one:

* The Explosion of Space: Architecture and the Filmic Imaginary
* Anthony Vidler
* Assemblage, No. 21 (Aug., 1993), pp. 44-59
(article consists of 16 pages)
* Published by: The MIT Press
* Stable URL: http://www.jstor.org/stable/3171214

Jun 8, 09 4:31 am  · 
 · 
Carl Douglas (agfa8x)

there is a narrative - like in film. The sequence of photographs are frames which tell a story in each section (the titles are clues). The two rows of drawings below are spatial translations of these frames which build to form a kind of architectural narrative. The fact that the translation is not explicitly, and is full of gaps and mistranslations is significant in view of Tschumi's ideas about disjunction. The intent seems to be to explore architectural narrative as something other than an architectural encoding of written text - i.e. a native language for architecture based on space and events rather than 'form' or 'function'.

i think.

Jun 8, 09 6:44 am  · 
 · 
treekiller

you gotta understand Guy Debord, situationalists, derivé, and fláuner (pardon moi french) before you can even start discussing early Tschumi.

Jun 8, 09 10:13 am  · 
 · 
modz

@ randomized - thanks for the tip for the articles, i have the Vidler article, ill look it up . . . and ill find out more about michele costanzo . .

@agfa8x - mate i completely understand the narrative-like attempt at those sequences . . . but for example, if in the first chapter he talks about Murder, i cant relate the images to something/anything relating to murder, the fear, or whatsoever.

same things for The Street et al. So, even if i know that he is linking the images, but i cant see the link. Is there a possibility that you could demonstrate any frames??

@ treekiller - Guy Debord, will look him up . . . first time hearing his name...

Jun 8, 09 1:10 pm  · 
 · 
ff33º

To appreciate Architecture you may even need to commit a murder.

Jun 8, 09 2:30 pm  · 
 · 
ff33º

Seems pretty straight forward to me. Gotta get your money's worth out of that window.

Jun 8, 09 2:32 pm  · 
 · 
fays.panda

he writes about murder in architecture and disjunction.

early tschumi is more 30 years ago now, try to get hold of his early AA course lectures, they exist somewhere, i remember reading some of his "pamphlets", as opposed to course lectures. I can almost say early tschumi is 41 years ago, i.e May '68.. put him in his context, what he had attempted to incite was new at his time, even if it seems abused today.

May '68 was an important event(s) for Tschumi's generation. Europe had started to get out of their totally understandable Post-War shock, and with that critical thought become the norm as opposed to the exception (previously, it was sartre and a few others, but that's a huge generalization, take it with a grain of salt)

The society of the spectacle - Guy Debord
the revolution of everyday life - Raoul Vaneigem

to taste a flavor of May '68 from a different aspect, you might want to read some Milan Kundera novels, the idea of revolution are deeply inherent in them.

post '68 literature was "experimental", for lack of a better word. Writers, and most prominently in drama, had attempted to break out of the mold, inciting the audience to look at things and understand them differently (read/watch Rozencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead by Tom Stoppard). in simple terms, that is what tschumi wanted architects and the public to do, look at things differently, montage and collage are easy way of decontextualizing and making us think.

@ff33, well put.

Jun 8, 09 2:48 pm  · 
 · 

"The stated concern of the project [Park La Villette] was to apply theoretical concerns on a practical level, to move from the "pure mathematics" of The Manhattan Transcripts to applied mathematics."

from "Madness and the Combinative" (1984) in Archtecture and Disjunction.

Jun 8, 09 3:07 pm  · 
 · 
aspect

commit a murder back then... now we conduct digital forensic^^

Jun 9, 09 12:05 am  · 
 · 
fays.panda

ah, the long awaited dream of invasive technology has finally arived.

Jun 9, 09 2:26 am  · 
 · 
modz

will get back in a days time . . . a bit busy on a short film! ;)

Jun 9, 09 2:54 pm  · 
 · 
Yasmartins

Modz!

I dont now any other way to reach you..so I hope you read this... (=
Im thrilled to know that theres someone doing the same research as I am (!!), exploring between architecture and film. Im an architecture student living in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, and im on my last year of college. I was hoping for you to send me an email so we can talk and share some ideas (of course, if you re still interested). Im at the beggining of my project and doing a lot of writing. well, here is my email: yasmin.arq@gmail.com

Hope to hear from you!
Best regard, Yasmin

Apr 17, 12 12:15 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: