Archinect
anchor

McGill/ Waterloo Portfolio for Architecture

shh_Im_arting

Ok, I'm new to this so please bare with me :)

I'm in grade 12 just finishing off with school and applying to unis in Canada and the US. I'm doing my A-Levels (British curriculum) and live overseas but I'm American and hold a Canadian citizenship and my mom and brother live in Canada.

I've applied for business/management at Dalhousie and York and got in both but they were just backups and anyway I want to do Architecture (my second option was business and that was just as a backup)

I'm applying for Architecture and my top universities to study at are McGill, UFT and Waterloo however I just wanted to know a bit more about the Architecture portfolio standards for McGill and Waterloo and how they differ.

I'm completing my A-levels in Math, Further Math, Economics, Physics and Art and I am targeted grade A* in Math, Physics, Art and Econ and grade A in Further Math so grade-wise, I think I'm okay.

I just have no idea of what the standard is for these portfolios and what McGill and Waterloo class as a "strong" portfolio. Since I take art, I have loads of work (fine art, technical drawings, wood work, clay, metal sculpture, CAD, print making etc..) But I heard there are only about 26 places for Architecture at McGill which just makes me feel like there is no hope :(

I mean realistically speaking, I would expect all the people applying to McGill to have high grades- so how do they end up choosing students? Is there a lot of emphasis on the portfolio and does it really make or break your application. Frankly, I would rather there be a big emphasis on portfolio because choosing students grades-wise just seems impossible when nearly everyone has perfect scores and only 26 places are available !

So how important is the portfolio at both Waterloo and McGill?

Also do you need to send in any original work at all or is it just photos of your work with dimensions/medium mentioned?

If you could send me any links or show me any samples of a portfolio/ some work to the standard of McGill and Waterloo just so I could get a better idea that would be really helpful.

Dec 16, 13 4:44 pm
accesskb

For 26 places, maybe its not either protfolio or grades, but everything and more.

kickass portfolio, stellar grades, impressive resume, volunteer work, test/interview scores etc etc

good luck

Dec 16, 13 5:48 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

To the OP.

I've sat on quite a few Waterloo interview panels and I can tell you from experience that your portfolio is graded on more than just it's "artsy" content. We have had students come in and dance or play piano for their interviews... while some show up in custom made clothing. Diversity is important... even more so if you show character.

I've even failed applicants because they could not spontaneously sketch my paper coffee cup so preparing yourself for curb-ball questions is key. I would say that if you are offered an in-person interview (no one is admitted without one) to bring sketchbooks. In every interview I have given, once an applicant presented a sketchbook, their chances of acceptance go up because the reviewers can see your thought process.

I can't say much about Mcgill unfortunately. Hope the above helps.

Dec 17, 13 11:14 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Another point, I doubt the 26 places is related to undergraduate programs, that seems pretty damn close to McGill's M.Arch acceptance.

At Waterloo, they offer entrance to roughly 100 students each year with on average 70 accepting. When I was there (quite a few years ago), they would interview more than 1600 students. I suspect they receive 3 to 4 times this number which are simply rejected without an interview offer.

Dec 17, 13 11:18 am  · 
 · 
clairemk

Another comment from a current Waterloo Student, who has also sat in on interview days. I would discourage bringing CAD work with you: you are not expected to know how to use CAD when you come to the school, and every time i have seen someone present work from a highschool drafting class or similar, it has been passed up without comment or has reflected negatively on their application. That is, unless, you have some sort of background in interior design, civil engineering, industrial design or the like. Also, don't stress about it, like non sequitur said, your interviewers are most likely to respond well to someone who shows personality and character. 

Dec 19, 13 6:54 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: