Archinect
anchor

Let's build a subway system

Are there any M.Arch I programs that are particularly involved in public transportation design? I'm currently completing a B.A. at an American school in Rome and I've seen some stuff from a competition that SCI-Arc put together to address the public transportation of Los Angeles (or lack thereof) and I plan to apply there, but I'm wondering if there are any other programs that I should consider for this?

May 19, 09 7:18 pm
citizen

Clarity of terms is important.

Los Angeles has plenty of public transportation. It's mostly in the form of buses (arguably much better suited to a diffuse metropolis), not fixed rail.

May 19, 09 8:13 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

I'm not aware of any programs that have a specific focus on public transit design, but individual faculty at some schools may have a particular interest in urban infrastructure, etc. and their studio projects will likely reflect that interest. And just about any school located in a major urban area will probably give you plenty of opportunities to study transit design if you so desire. I've seen a number of projects at schools here in NYC that deal with the subway in some fashion or another.

May 19, 09 9:09 pm  · 
 · 
stefjam

well, if you really want to do transit design/planning, engineering would be the most appropriate degree. but you can't do that unless you have an undergrad degree in engineering. so, if you don't have that, perhaps you should consider a masters in urban planning. there are tons of programs that have a focus on transportation planning.

May 19, 09 9:14 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

You don't necessarily need to be an engineer to be involved in transit design. I'm doing a mass transit master plan as part of my advanced project for my degree program, and I work for an architecture firm here in NYC that does a lot of transit-related design.

May 19, 09 9:34 pm  · 
 · 

you may want to look into city planning programs... i don't know for sure, but there are probably some CPLN programs that offer specializations in transit planning...

May 20, 09 9:06 am  · 
 · 
AP

there are a handful of M.Arch programs that also offer degree programs in Urban Design / Planning, which may be appropriate for what you're interested in, although you won't likely do only public transportation design. These come to mind off the to of my head:

Harvard GSD - M.Arch / MAUD

Washington University in St. Louis - M.Arch / MUD

Columbia's M.Arch / MS in A&UD

CCNY - M.Arch / MUP

UPenn - M.Arch / MCP (*UPenn also offers various certificate programs, so you could conceivably pursue the M.Arch degree and focus your elective coursework in Urban Design and Planning, taking courses directly related to your transit interest...though in any of the above dual degree programs you will have Urban Design / Planning electives wherein you could do the same.)

abe - are you studying at JCU, by chance?

May 20, 09 10:03 am  · 
 · 
AP

*top of my head...

May 20, 09 10:03 am  · 
 · 
michaelnatali

AP--
Yes, I just finished my first semester at JCU and am transferring as a junior to do a B.A. in art history. Do you know the school? I did Making + Meaning at SCI-Arc and I want to do an M.Arch, which is why I'm asking about this.

Thanks for the list by the way, I'm really looking into Columbia and now UPenn seems really intriguing.

And thanks to everyone who is replying, this information is all very helpful.

May 20, 09 10:56 am  · 
 · 
michaelnatali

transferring to JCU, I should say, after a preliminary study-abroad semester here**

May 20, 09 10:59 am  · 
 · 
AP

I attended JCU for a summer program in 2001...just before I started architecture school (but after 2yrs at a state uni in Florida). Being in Rome is one thing, but being able to live and study in Trastevere is priceless. Enjoy yourself and make sure to soak in your surroundings.

May 20, 09 11:02 am  · 
 · 
ess

From MIT:

http://dusp.mit.edu/p.lasso?t=2:0:0

I read something recently about a new program they are starting which revolves around transportation, but don't have the time to dig deeper at the moment to find the article. I'm sure some MIT SA+P students floating around this board could elaborate on their new program...

May 20, 09 1:54 pm  · 
 · 
stefjam

Dug a little deeper for you. They have a dual degree for MCP/Master of Science in Transportation. Sounds good. I'm intrigued.

"Students interested in transportation have several paths to fulfill their academic and professional interests, both within DUSP and across MIT. Students pursue their transportation interests from a broad range of perspectives - focusing on policy, finance, modeling, design, etc. - drawing from DUSP and broader MIT expertise in urban planning and design, public transportation infrastructure and services, intelligent transportation systems, information and communication technologies, transportation economics, airports and air transportation systems, and more."

http://web.mit.edu/dusp/transportation/

Also has a contact link. Try emailing him to inquire about whatever you hope to find out: [email protected]

May 21, 09 6:32 pm  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor

If you want to learn anything about public transportation, do not come to LA. It is horrendous in terms of public transit. Sure, the buses go everywhere, but the linkages are horrible and the time spent on buses can be quite a lot.
If you want to study the LACK of public transit initiatives, then LA is just the right place. There are a lot of ideas the MTA has, but everything takes forever to get started here in LA.

What you are talking about is Urban Planning. Sciarc will not help you learn that.

May 22, 09 1:41 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: