Archinect
anchor

Can you build with Eucalyptus?

ff33º

My client has all these huge Eucalyptus trees he cut down? I have never heard of using it to build with, but is this wood good for anything? I have heard its pretty fire prone, and it has already split significantly.

Just curious.

May 14, 09 2:29 am
holz.box

google lyptus cabinets...

not a forgiving wood.

May 14, 09 2:44 am  · 
 · 
dia

It would make a good bonfire...

May 14, 09 3:24 am  · 
 · 
dlb

given that there are over 700 species of "eucalyptus" trees, you would need to specify which type of trees they are. there are some very hardwood eucalypts, and some much softer.

how big are the timbers?

May 14, 09 3:51 am  · 
 · 
ff33º

Yeah I know the species are variable, but we probably wont be calling an arborist of a botanist to identify the exact genus or anything..I was just soliciting general feedback.

Some are close to 3' to 4 ' in diameter and 12 to 14 long. He want to mill it soon...and will be trying to get good nominal sizes for constructing a Barn, etc..

Any thoughts , your feedback is very much appreciated

May 14, 09 12:34 pm  · 
 · 
el jeffe

here's a study done in 2004 on eucalyptus for structural applications. they glue-laminated theirs so that may not be quite what you want, but there is a list of references at the end that might be a good place to research.

May 14, 09 1:25 pm  · 
 · 
camhard

For structural or more decorative (i.e. millwork)? Creating glulams out of it could be cool, though it would be hard to find someone to do this I would think.

It can be pretty nice looking wood.

Would it be kilned or air dried? I don't know a whole lot about it, but I'm guessing it won't be the most dimensionally stable wood out there and that it will likely check quite easily if kiln dried. Air drying would obviously require much more time, though the yield would probably be significantly higher.

Like I said, I don't know a lot about it, but I have seen it used in furniture and turnings.

Approximately how many board feet do you figure are available?

May 15, 09 1:21 am  · 
 · 
SDR

Here in California we are told that the early residents planted Eucs because they grow fast, and the intention was to use them for building lumber -- in parts of the state that aren't already forested. But they had to use the trees for windbreaks, or firewood -- because the lumber twists and checks so badly that it is useless for construction.

On the other hand:

http://www.woodweb.com/knowledge_base/Eucalyptus_for_furnituremaking.html

http://www.cababstractsplus.org/abstracts/Abstract.aspx?AcNo=20033206661
http://lumberjocks.com/topics/7110

May 15, 09 2:00 am  · 
 · 
sharkswithlasers

My neighbor's last name is Koala (sp?)... man, he LOVES eucalyptus.

May 15, 09 12:33 pm  · 
 · 
ff33º

Essentially we are shooting for some common timber sizes. and as much plank size as possible. we do have some potential furniture and cabinets ideas.

Thanks for all your advice, and for the confirmation that this wood is problematic.

Ok well, we will see what happens, it is getting milled today. Maybe I'll post some photos.

May 15, 09 12:43 pm  · 
 · 
Jah is my Co-pilot

I know nothing about that tree in particular. I do know that if you want to use any lumber in any structural capacity, it needs to be graded by a licensed grader, and from what I heard it is prohibitively expensive to get a grader to evaluate (and stamp) for "small" quantities. By "small" i mean less than a large clear-cut.

May 15, 09 12:47 pm  · 
 · 
ff33º

Jah,
Yeah we know. Thanks though.

May 15, 09 1:04 pm  · 
 · 

that is now the coolest name... Jah is my Co-pilot, heh heh

anyway ff33º can I suggest you sell the lumber instead for it's aromatic properties - there is significant value in that, depending on the exact species

May 15, 09 2:15 pm  · 
 · 
jennifershipley

Eucalyptus is used in furnature making, flooring....  It is an invasive species in the US planted originally because of the high demand of this Australian wood.  Unfortunately they discovered it takes about 70 years for it to be really stable.  I have worked with Eucalpytus in furniture making and it is beautiful and fantastic to work with.  I also dried some eucalyptus rounds I found in after someone did some logging near my boyfriend’s work.  It was about 2.5’ in diameter.  It did crack as the rounds dried, and I know there is a trick to drying it, but I don’t remember the trick.  After it dried though, there was plenty of workable wood.  It’s actually one of my favorite woods.  I like the way it glows when finished.  It really depends on the age of the wood as to whether it is good for woodworking or not.

Mar 10, 19 12:21 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: