Archinect
anchor

From Revit to Rhino...how do I convert in 3D?

bodz11

I am looking to take a revit model and put into rhino to create a surface for routing and 3d printing. There is no export capability into rhino, but, there is a dwg export. Let me know if you all have thoughts or advice.

Thanks!

May 13, 09 9:06 am
ff33º

depending on the version...
I export dxf in 2010, because it retains ASCII geometry. dwg defaults to meshes in 2010

in older versions check the options you want in the export dialogue box.
I use a work flow from revit to rhino ( and max) all the time and do some 3d printing.

Let me know if you specific questions.

May 13, 09 10:47 am  · 
 · 
rehiggins

ff33

all versions default to meshes when you export 3D views as .dwg…in 2010 go to the dwg properties tab (just like in 2009) and click in the "solids" field and choose ACIS solids

May 13, 09 11:08 am  · 
 · 
ff33º

sure,..
i tend to like .dxf for alot of stuff going to max anyway, but yeah

May 13, 09 11:20 am  · 
 · 
c.k.

make sure you're in a coarse level?

May 13, 09 1:56 pm  · 
 · 
rehiggins

depends on what you need…what's great is that section boxes "translate" so you don't need to export the entire model if you only need a single room.

you still should delete surfaces that are not going to be seen by the camera in order to lighten the load on your machine while rendering, this is extremely easy if the file you've exported is ACIS solids as you can then directly manipulate the geometry in Rhino (requires less re-modeling and no mesh translation)

May 13, 09 2:02 pm  · 
 · 
c.k.

yes, I love that section box option!

May 13, 09 2:04 pm  · 
 · 
ff33º

I wish autodesk would make a program for work flow issues. ..i.e. rev to cad or max (or maya) ..and back. They have so many disparate softwares housing so many functions..but the importing exporting is just so cumbersome sometimes.

May 13, 09 4:40 pm  · 
 · 
bodz11

right on to you all! thanks for the help. I'll shoot back with more questions later.

May 13, 09 5:55 pm  · 
 · 
induct

Wasn't .fbx supposed to be for transferring between autodesk programs?
Was it a failure?

May 13, 09 6:31 pm  · 
 · 
ff33º

oh so thats what fbx's are for..er uh oopps, I gotta try that out

May 14, 09 2:13 am  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor

what about .acis format?

May 14, 09 4:34 am  · 
 · 
rehiggins

in addition to .fbx (which, for a while only MAX could open the version that Revit was exporting--Adesk seemed to be holding back the updates for other software) there's this: nPower

usually (for geometry-only) using .dwg between autodesk software works well. FBX is supposed to translate lights, cameras and materials (and bones and other things if exported from MAX/Maya/Motionbuilder/etc).

sameolddoctor--

I've always had better luck with the ACIS solid flavor of the .dwg export; the .sat file always seemed a little funky. Going from Rhino to Revit (at least for 2009) you need to export an .sat as the .dwg (from R4) gets meshed; open the .sat in AutoCAD first, then save-as a .dwg and open in Revit (thanks Mr.Fano for posting this process on your blog)

May 14, 09 10:44 am  · 
 · 
nmiller.arch

Hello,
I am developing a complex structure system in Rhino. Eventually, this structure will need to be in Revit 2009 for final coordination. I have tried several techniques for bringing it into Revit, but in all cases Revit becomes so slow that it is almost impossible to work on the model after the Rhino model is imported.

Rhino and acad handle the geometry just fine with very little slow down... any suggestions on improving Revit's 3D performance? I've tried it with openGL enabled and disabled... no difference.

May 21, 09 10:45 pm  · 
 · 
Antisthenes

ACIS SAT , there is a script to make each layer export separately so you can keep that separation. and this is nurbs so if revit over tessellates it , how much ram/ what video card do you have?

May 23, 09 6:05 pm  · 
 · 
JonM

Feel free to take a look at the blog and wiki for my Rhino Structure plug-ins. I plan to develop a direct link with REVIT if I get the chance to devote more time to it, For the time being I can do it using analyis programs as a bridging format. If you wish to email me some images/descriptions of the model, I might be able to help you out with a means to do so (There is a bunch of tools/commands that are in development not in the public release yet). http://geometrygym.blogspot.com

Sep 24, 09 5:05 pm  · 
 · 
sujanselvakumar

Hi there,

Hope this is not too late for a reply. But I was just surfing on the internet hoping to find some tools that would help me take my Revit models to Rhino for further editing purposes. Usually I get the Rvit files from my Architectural team and it just doesn't fit in the Rhino environment at all. So, i found this tool called BIMDeX plugins especially for our use case - Revit to Rhino Exporter. This was super easy, I just like Exported the Revit model and then Imported inside my Rhino platform using their plugins and to my surprise it got the perfect model converted to Rhino with no loss in geometry or such. Even the properties and material info was retained as it is. I guess, this might be a good deal, test it out if you have the time and share us your thoughts. I would be happy to think that i was able to help other as well...

Thanks!!

Feb 13, 20 6:53 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: