Archinect
anchor

BIM Geeks - What is granularity?

wurdan freo

Can someone explain to me why granularity is critical to BIM? I am doing a presentation with a lawyer and she contends that one of the problems with BIM is granularity. I understand that it has to do with the detail of an object and that perhaps your dimensions could get screwed up switching between different bim platforms. That, however, seems to me to be an issue of interoperability. I have not been able to produce a Revit file that has been compromised because of granularity. Is this still an issue or has it been figured out?

thanks for any input.

Apr 17, 09 12:48 pm
el jeffe

i think you may have the meaning of granularity in BIM incorrect.

my understanding of granularity is that some think it is desirable goal because instead of a single massive file, there are many (?) smaller files (granules) allowing others to download & open just the portion(s) they need.

Apr 17, 09 2:33 pm  · 
 · 
comb

As explained by Ed Goldberg: "The major difference between a digital prototyping solution for a machine and for a building is the level of “granularity” and focus of the information. Granularity refers to the amount and specificity of information. In a BIM program such as Revit Architecture, Revit Structure and Revit MEP, the user is interested in assemblies such as stairs only to the degree of indicating size, material costs, etc. With digital prototyping software, one can cut, engrave, and weld the stairs automatically. It is this increased ability that digital prototyping programs bring to the BIM, resulting in improved productivity. The next question becomes, “Are we there yet?” While digital prototyping is being used today to design some components, such as pre-cast concrete slabs, the AEC industry has generally not bridged the gap between the digital prototyping software and the automated machine tools. At present, digital prototyping software is being used in the AEC industry primarily to produce designs and drawings more efficiently."

Also, these links may shed some additional light on your question:

Needed Granularity for Construction Planning

Decomposition of BIM objects for scheduling and 4D simulation

Apr 17, 09 2:54 pm  · 
 · 
wurdan freo

Thanks for the links comb. Both are excellent.

Apr 17, 09 3:45 pm  · 
 · 
el jeffe

great - so the same terminology is being used for differing meanings.

that's problem #1....

Apr 17, 09 3:46 pm  · 
 · 
wurdan freo

seems to be pretty standard when it comes to anything BIM.

Apr 17, 09 3:48 pm  · 
 · 
Bruce Prescott

AIACC has published a guide to level of detail/reliability for the BIM model at various stages of the process. Might shed some light on your discussion

It is referenced from this page

Apr 18, 09 1:29 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: