Archinect
anchor

Photoshop color matching for 7 pencil plans done by 4 hands?

queen

Boss decided that in order to show the looseness of our land use plan proposal, we are going with hand drawings for all final presentations. There are in total 7 plans at similar scale using the legend. Then here comes the problem that this 7 drawings were done by FOUR different hands with the legend by another 5th person. Each of them used different hand weight while they were coloring with the same pencil crayon.
My task right is to adjust colors on all drawings in order to make them exactly the same when printing.
Not being professional in photoshop, my current plan is to select each individual chunck of color in each plan and do manual adjustments towards the legend color through "hue satuartion" or "levels" functions. In the end it will all base on my eyes' judgements.
I'm worried that this whole process will take too long since these are very complicated land use plans and my eyes are not always that reliable when it comes to color adjustment.

Any one know the best way to do color matching between hand drawings? And how can I ensure the printing results if we can't tell the RGB values for each color since they are pencil drawings?

Apr 6, 09 5:08 am
trace™

You can do color matching in CS4, but no idea how to do it with sketches.

You could also make it all monochrome, then add your own color on top of it. No idea if that will look horrible, though.

Seems your boss should have planned for things a little better.

Apr 6, 09 8:41 am  · 
 · 
gonad

you can probably just:
select > color range and play with the fuzziness
if needed you can select > modify > expand, this will increase the selection range (it might be useful to expand by 1 px to capture a little more)
then adjust your colors through color balance, hue, etc

did you try image > adjustments > replace color?

Apr 6, 09 8:52 am  · 
 · 
l3wis

why make it more difficult than it has to be?

look at a list of spaces in your program, assign each one a PANTONE color or CMYK value, then just select each field of color and change it to its respective #.

Apr 6, 09 1:44 pm  · 
 · 
mantaray

Honestly, I hate to suggest this, but do you really need all the colors to match perfectly? Part of the point of loose hand drawings is to introduce inconsistency. Plus, remember that the printer is nowhere near as finicky as your eye (in most cases), and also, unless you have all your color calibrations set perfectly, the color will not look the same on the screen as it does on the printout. As a veteran of a million client sketch presentations, this entire colormatching effort smacks of time-waster to me.

Apr 6, 09 1:56 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: