Archinect
anchor

Help for a Student - Portfolio Advice (BArch)

minifost

So here is my problem,
I am a level 3 NVQ qualified Joiner – Distinction
I have 4 years work experience

Last year I started an HNC – Construction and the Built Environment, (2 years part time) I am currently on my 2nd year and applying for university. So far I have achieved 4 Distinctions out of 4 assignments (4 more to come this year).

So here’s the thing – I am passionate and dedicated, about following a career and life in Architecture.

I have sent away my applications to universities and had replies from a few. They have all requested a portfolio of work with a specified list of criteria.
Due to my background, I lack in a majority of these criteria and have little time to reply to their request and thus little time to create these criteria.
I have numerous pictures of Joinery work and CAD work (some generic structural and some architectural-ish-)

Any advice from any past/present students or professionals?
Thanks in advance - Mike

Nov 21, 13 3:42 pm
Non Sequitur

minifost, unfortunately, entrance portfolios take time to assemble and more often than not, when it comes to undergraduate programs due to the amount of entries, the more varied and concise portfolios score highest. The idea with an entrance portfolio is to showcase your ability to think in an abstract way through various mediums in addition to hints of scale, proportion, experimentation, etc, etc, etc.... it goes on. You might be able to design and build some kick-ass cabinets, but unless you also show some sketches, you'll be behind others.

It all depends on which schools you are applying since some might have more varied portfolio requirements. A good idea is to seek examples to gauge how best to spend your time. I've seen a handful of portfolios come in when I was in undergrad and some where entirely all furniture... many having 3 to 4 times the maximum allowed pages. All, without exception where discarded. In addition, from my experience, CAD drawings are not an equal replacement than a quick sketch you whip out on a whim.

Nov 21, 13 4:11 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: