Archinect
anchor

Architecture Portfolio

djduhpression

Hello.  I am a sophomore in high school who is really just planning ahead.  I have looked at architecture schools and I feel I have the academic credentials to get accepted into Rice and apply through ED.  I'm also looking at Notre Dame and University of Illinois.   Anyway, Rice requires a portfolio when you apply, and I need to know what to include in it.  I am in my first year of drafting, which are mainly sketches/board drawings.  Next year I am taking CAD Drafting with Revit, Inventor, Autocad, etc.  My senior year I am taking an advanced type drafting class which will mainly focus on board drawings.  I have looked at portfolios and they are all different, so I don't really know what I should include in mine.  I maybe only have one drawing so far that is even considerable for my portfolio.

Nov 20, 13 5:21 pm
natematt

You taking any art classes?

Why Notre Dame? Maybe someone will correct me, but i don't think they have much of a reputation for architecture. In fact I don't think I've ever heard the name even brought up in an architectural context.

Nov 20, 13 5:50 pm  · 
 · 
snail

Typically what architecture schools want to see is evidence of creativity and artistic engagement rather than drafting, so it's better to include work showing that you can draw by hand - things like freehand drawings from life.

Nov 20, 13 9:34 pm  · 
 · 
djduhpression

Is it bad if I only submit drafting drawings? I am not in any art classes right now.  And personally I really don't know why I have Notre dame on my list, but they were on a list for the top architecture schools list for 2013.

Nov 22, 13 6:18 pm  · 
 · 
djduhpression

I've heard of people submitting photographs, which I don't understand. But if I submitted some good photography pictures ALONG with drafting drawings, would I be okay? 

Nov 22, 13 6:21 pm  · 
 · 
natematt

What works is different from person to person. They key is you are not going to school for drafting you are going for design, so the comment made about "creativity and artistic engagement"  is really important.

in my oppinion... take some art classes if you can. (or just start doing lots of drawings). Is your photography really good?

I think drafting really depends on what they have you do, and how well you do it. 
Floor plan of a traditional single family home? not very impressed.
Exploded axon of some spatially developed thing? *nods approvingly*

You're a high shool student so they are both going to be fairly dreadful by professional standards anyway, which is why I think you would be remiss to  submit something that can only be appreciated on it's technical merit. Also, hand drafting will probably have better results than the computer for your cause.

Nov 22, 13 8:15 pm  · 
 · 
djduhpression

Well, I have no idea about photography honestly.  If it came down to it, my mom has photographical experiences, so I'd ask her to take some pictures or something.  Any websites or anything that give good free hand drawings and tips?

Nov 22, 13 9:10 pm  · 
 · 
natematt

the point would be for you to take them, though if you're not experienced then it's probably best to stay away from photos.

Nov 22, 13 11:42 pm  · 
 · 
djduhpression

I can understand that. You never answered my last question though 

Nov 23, 13 12:32 am  · 
 · 
natematt

I've never looked for websites on it, so I don't know.

I'd look up Francis Ching, that's probably a good place to start. Maybe buy one of his books or something.

Nov 23, 13 1:37 am  · 
 · 
djduhpression

Thank you.

Nov 23, 13 2:19 am  · 
 · 
djduhpression

Also, if I were to take photographs, what would I take pictures of? Landscapes? Or other things?

Nov 25, 13 4:05 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Dylan, unless you're an accomplished photographer with awards to back it up, stay as far away from photography as possible. Same goes with photoshop/illustrator work as well as any CAD. Schools look for an ability to sketch and think abstractly as well as manipulate shadow, scale, texture, detail, etc. You will have one hell-u-va hard time if you can't sketch. Take a still life or nude drawing class, some of the best entrance portfolios I've seen always had a quick 30second still life sketch.

btw, asking your mom to take pictures for you for your entrance portfolio is pretty damn insulting seeing as your acceptance is based on individual merit, skill and creativity.

Nov 25, 13 4:43 pm  · 
 · 
djduhpression

Btw, I was meaning to say if it were a last resort and I had no time at all and still needed some content, so chill out . But anyways  thanks for the info

Nov 25, 13 4:53 pm  · 
 · 
SpatialSojourner

"So chill out" - You're implying academic dishonesty! 

I took plenty of perspective students on tours when I was in college and there were always the ones who were like "I took drafting classes/Revit, I'm going to change architecture." Always made me laugh. (usually gone around second year) 

I would say you should take 0 CAD/BIM classes in high school (this coming from someone who did).  Focus on art, sketching, photography, sculpture, graphic design, 3D design in high school.  The most important thing is to pick the ones you'll have fun doing, they're all applicable to your future and have the potential to inform your future design language.  Drafting is easy to pick up but once you're in the mindset of Revit before learning design then it's challenging to think outside the box.  My graphic design class in high school was 10x more beneficial since I was able to harness the information learned there in creating diagrams in illustrator during college. 

Nov 25, 13 7:20 pm  · 
 · 
djduhpression

Sorry for the misunderstanding about the photography. But thanks spatialsojourner. So next year I will probably take Art, and focus on sketches.  Thanks again for the clarification

Nov 25, 13 10:36 pm  · 
 · 
snail

Hearing someone say "chill out" in reaction to being told that plagiarism is a bad idea makes me worry about the future of humanity. You have a long ways to go...

Nov 25, 13 11:58 pm  · 
 · 
djduhpression

OKAY IM SORRY I DIDNT MEAN WHAT I SAID AND I WOULD NEVER ACTUALLY DO THAT.  I HAVE TWO YEARS TO PLAN ALL THIS OUT AND I WOULD DEFINITELY MAKE SURE WHAT I SUBMIT IS MINE.

Nov 26, 13 12:25 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Ah, the classic ALL CAPS reply.

Anyways, take a few life drawing classes at a local art college. A good charcoal sketch will go a long way. In my experience, anyone submitting CAD drawings was automatically set aside. Anyone can CAD, not everyone can make a few grey strokes sexy.

Most undergrad schools host an open doors event. I attended one and got to meet one of the professors of the school and as it turns out, was also one of the few who reviewed applications. I scheduled a meeting and brought some pieces to him for criticism. He took one oil-painting/sketch and told me right there and then that that piece alone would get me in.

Nov 26, 13 11:06 am  · 
 · 
djduhpression

Okay, I'm looking at a Francis Ching book to buy soon, which should help substantially.  Would it still be okay for me to submit a few drafting drawings?

Nov 26, 13 4:02 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: