Archinect
anchor

U of Michigan vs. Upenn vs. GSAPP

flap1004

I'm an international student and was admitted to those three schools - U of Michigan is 2G option with $$ and 2yr program, Upenn is 1 yr program March II , and GSAPP is 3 yrs without $$ :(

I'm so confusing because three schools' design types are different and my portfolio didn't show anything.. something like fancy rendering images. I thought I would got an rejection from GSAPP, but they admitted me - I thought MIT or Harvard might send me admission letter :( GSAPP's admission is most shocking thing in my life!!

I already found information about those schools, but I cannot go attending open house so it is not enough for choosing school.

Since I'm an international, I have to think about after graduation and job in USA .. most importantly come back my country :(

OMG... one month ago, I thought any school that offer me $$ , then I will go there without thinking they are famous or not. I just want to experience and meet people studying architecture from different background. However, after I got admissions, I'm getting nervous.. They are so different from 1yr to 3yrs program :(

I just want to know pros and cons.. and differences of them. And also, is expensive GSAPP worth it? I cannot loan from school or get $$ since I'm not a citizen or permanent residents in USA :(

Please help me... OTL................ Please....

Mar 23, 09 11:43 am

If you cannot afford GSAPP then it could be an unpleasant experience.

UMichigan is not as famous as Harvard/Yale/Columbia internationally, but it is just as good (some would say better) for landing a job in the USA. If people like you don't go to Michigan and go back to their home country, then how will its international reputation improve? You have the power, be strong.

Mar 23, 09 12:53 pm  · 
 · 
Arciheboy

same dilemma as yours.

Mar 23, 09 11:38 pm  · 
 · 
thirsty

i was really impressed with michigan's facility. Wood, metal shop is large. You can pretty much build anything. Several laser cutters which some are open to students 24 hrs everyday. Based on pin-ups, it was clear that students took advantage of these resources; many creative models, hand drawings and computer renderings. This being said, I felt that many of the projects displayed were floofy? Though conceptual ideas may be good, the link to making a project "real" was missing on some projects. This is just my opinion though. There's also great faculty there, and many of the students seemed to enjoy their other classes as well.

Mar 24, 09 1:44 am  · 
 · 
birdie

one thing i'm trying to figure out is if penn has the global reputation that gsapp has. any thoughts?

Mar 24, 09 3:25 pm  · 
 · 
plattenbau

flap: what is your specific interest in studying architecture? Besides cost and location, there are a lot of differences between these three programmes.

That being said, I'm in the same boat as you are. At the moment, I'm leaning towards Penn. My interest lies somewhere near the intersection of urban design/, landscape design & architectural design. Penn offered me admission into both the MARCH (advanced placement) and MLA along with a pretty decent scholarship.

Mar 25, 09 10:37 am  · 
 · 
flap1004

plattenbau: I'm an March II applicant and as you know it is only 1yr program in Upenn. To be honest, I leaned toward Princeton and Harvard -people said that my portfolio was there style -. But, I got an admission from Upenn and Columbia shockingly!! I think study abroad is not for doing I'm good at, but for learning I'm not good at and finding my potential abilities. So I decided learn more that I'm not good at and thanks god for giving me such opportunities - After I got admission from three schools, I was sad.. becuase Princeton is my dream school-

I'm also interested in Landscape like you, however, I applied only March II. At that time I was completely confused by all procceses that I've gone through so I didn't think about a dual degree. I know Upenn offers students a dual degree after they admitted. However, I don't know in my case..I'm March II :( I asked them that I can change my program into March I and a dual degree . And If they say OK, then I will be going Upenn!!

Columbia is very good school though.. I want to go there and learn from good faculties. However, $$ is more than I thought, right now :(

I don't know what is the best chioce.. I just want to make a choice that I will not regret :)

Thanks for your comment!!

birdie : GSAPP>> Upenn>Michigan grobal reputation!

Upenn is one of the ivy leagues.. However, in my country people don't know Upenn is a ivy or name of Upenn :( they know Harvard, Pronceton, Yale, Columbia, Cornell is ivy leagues and of course they think these are the best school.

Arciheboy : do you decide your mind??

10 : except money problem, then do you think GSAPP is best??

thirsty : Oh.. I want to see school like you OTL..... online is not enough...

Mar 25, 09 10:22 pm  · 
 · 
behati

@flap1004

can i ask if you hold a 5 year professional b.arch?

Aug 2, 11 6:47 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: