Archinect
anchor

M. Arch Hopeful

With admissions deadlines just around the corner, I thought I could maybe get some feedback from you guys. I've uploaded a rough draft of my portfolio and would really appreciate your opinions. My portfolio still needs a lot of work, personally I am not pleased with it graphically. Right now it is really heavy on the practical side of things, which worries me, I still need to put in two more theoretical projects. The schools I would like to get into are Syracuse, University of Maryland, University of Virginia, University of Oregon, and the University of Texas- Austin. There are a handful of other schools, but these are the one's I'm really worried about. Based on what you see, would you chance me for any of these schools. 

http://issuu.com/emerson_o_carrera/docs/portfolio_test_print

Nov 17, 13 10:59 pm
SpatialSojourner

It's a very well composed portfolio.  All the projects seem to be laid out in a nice manner; the models and drawings are of an elegant quality.  I would extend the section cuts on 31-32 bottom of page to your left and right margin so that everything lines up.  It's alright with being centered, but looking at it, it's so close to being aligned with everything.  Also, I don't understand the switch to black background... I mean it's fine and all.   

Looking at your list of schools and basing it solely off your portfolio, I'd say you'll get into a majority of them - if not all.    

Good Luck! 

Nov 18, 13 7:27 am  · 
 · 

Thanks for the input SpatialSojourner, I appreciate the input. I think you're right about the sections. I agree the switch to the black background kind of throws off the continuous reading, but I don't know how to remedy it. The project was for a competition that required all entries be on full bleed black paper. So, naturally I tailored the drawings to match that. I've tried other backgrounds, but they just don't work. If anyone else has some input I would appreciate it.

Nov 18, 13 11:51 am  · 
 · 

I don't really mind the black background, kind of adds some pizzazz.  The GSD 08 Platform portfolio of student work randomly interjects random color pages which adds interest.  Most of them are submitted online? so the black shouldn't be an issue with printing.  I was thinking that maybe the ticks on the right page could have that coral color correspond with what project one is viewing so it's not just a static decoration.  

Nicely done.  Good school choices as well.  I switched one of the schools that I'm applying to at the last second so we're not competitors. 

Nov 18, 13 6:25 pm  · 
 · 
Roshi

- Your contents mentions a Curriculum Vitae on page 5; but its missing from the portfolio. I would omit it anyway, schools will ask for a CV/Resume separately almost always.

- I like quotes, but I think people tend to overuse them to try and come off sophisticated. It wasnt at first apparent to me that the quote foreshadowed the project. Maybe you can play with incorporating them with the project somehow; perhaps bold a word in the quote that helps summarize the following project, and then use it or hint at it somewhere in your project. Something along those lines might be nice. Otherwise, the admission officer might not even pay them much attention (they don't tend to like reading when flipping through portfolios).

- Lastly, don't be afraid to go back and rework some things on your older projects for the sake of the portfolio. My opinion is to have a consistent style across the board, to better identify yourself to your reader. For example, your poche on page 28 and 29 is black, while on 31 and 32 its gray. Personally I think the presentation looks better when its consistent.

Otherwise, it looks nice and simple. I would take out the scale on page 20 - you don't want your drawings to come off as construction documents (unless you specifically want to show an example of a CD), and you don't show scales anywhere else. You also don't see admission officers grabbing their rulers to measure something when reading this stuff.

Oh, and I'd like to point out that on page 7, in your first Plan, on the very top-right corner, you can see a smiley face. Its the first thing that caught my eye. I don't know if its good or bad, but I giggled :)

Nov 18, 13 8:26 pm  · 
 · 

Thanks, Jonathan. I like the idea about the tick marks. I'm working on two competitions right now, so I could potentially separate school projects and competitions with a color scheme.

Roshi, thanks for pointing that out, I got a good chuckle out of it too. It's actually a fountain that runs through a plaza. With that said I agree with your suggestions. As far as the quotes go, I see what you mean about trying to come off as "sophisticated". In my defense, It was not my intention. I generally enjoy reading, I put the quotes in more for myself than anything else.

Thanks Guys. If anyone else wants to critique my portfolio, I welcome it.

Nov 18, 13 9:29 pm  · 
 · 
spqr

Page 36 should read "Torre dell'Orologio"

Nov 18, 13 10:09 pm  · 
 · 
ShakeyDeal

TS - I think you could experiment with the graphic presentation a bit and still keep a clear and concise presentation.  Perhaps look at using a "complimentary" color that runs through the entire portfolio.  This color could primarily used for the text to highlight things like heading or subheadings, or even phrases in your body text.  Bright colors work best.  Also, think about how you could use more variations of the font that you are already using.  Bolding/italicizing to draw more attention to certain text.

I think the content looks great!  I'm hoping to get some feeback on my portfolio in the next few weeks as well and these are some things I have found help presentation.  Best of luck!

Nov 18, 13 10:45 pm  · 
 · 

Duly noted spqr. 

Thanks, Aaron. Could you clarify what you mean though? Like a band that runs the length of the portfolio. 

Nov 18, 13 11:43 pm  · 
 · 
Abigail Becky

In my option, it is very wonderful.  I agreed with the AaronPerspective. You maybe add some color font.

Nov 19, 13 2:25 am  · 
 · 

I think AaronPerspective means something like what is explained in this pdf: http://dropbox.unl.edu/uploads/20131203/0708d230108682d8/UNL_WORKSHOP%201-FORMING%20A%20PROJECT.pdf 

Nov 19, 13 6:23 am  · 
 · 

Thanks, I see what Aaron means now. To be honest I was expecting such positive responses. As I mentioned earlier, I am not content with my portfolio graphically, but I think making the aforementioned suggestions will help. Thanks 

Nov 19, 13 11:52 am  · 
 · 

* wasn't expecting

Ha, I just caught that. Hope I didn't come off as a arrogant twat.

Nov 19, 13 3:00 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: