Archinect
anchor

Civil Engineering grad going back for M. Arch?

JurassicJoel

Hey guys, first post so go easy...
I'm a recent Civil Engineering grad from Drexel University. I've been working as a Civil Engineer's assistant at a well known real estate land development company in Philadelphia for the past 8 months. This job has definitely been a positive experience for me as I had originally set out to learn AutoCAD and feel that I've successfully developed CAD proficiency.

I have been contemplating pursuing a career in Architecture for a very long time. I had originally intended to do Architecture for undergrad but my 18 year old high school graduate self heard that it was competitive and you needed a portfolio (which I did not have). Looking back on it, I wish I had not let that sway me, but hind sight is 20/20. I finished my degree in Civil Engineering because I knew that I could and Drexel is way to expensive to "dabble" in experimental fields.

My question then is this: Do you believe that having a Civil Engineering degree would be a significant advantage coupled with a Masters of Architecture?

I've been getting responses along the lines of "it couldn't hurt..." but that's not what I'm after. I'd like to know if I should seriously consider a marriage of the two degrees or just stick with the Civil Degree that I spent many years and thousands of dollars obtaining. Give it to me straight because I'm on the cusp of a major life commitment!

Architecture definitely excites and fascinates the creative side within me. I find beauty in art with functionality and I've always been excited by the word design. To be honest, my false interpretation of the words "Engineering Design" were what lead me down the Civil path. I'm not looking to abandon the degree that I've worked hard for, so I'm hoping that Architects in the field might be able to shed some insight. Ironically enough, my engineering friends think its a terrible idea and they've expressed that architects are hard to work with (which I've found only the opposite to be true), and after asking those in architecture, they seem to offer a much more positive view of the situation. I just want to know that they're not just sugar coating it because I expressed interest in their profession. Any insight would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for your time!

~Joel

Nov 6, 13 9:22 am
geezertect

Personally, unless you are a trust fund baby, the spouse of a high earner, or really and truly don't mind being grotesquely underpaid, I would stay away from architecture.  Being "excited by the word design" is just not enough.  In my opinion, the long term prospects for architects just don't look good.  The pay is poor (as I said), the legal liability is terrifying (although it is for engineers too), job security and stability is almost nonexistent (which gets increasingly important the older you get) and the slow growth of the US economy just doesn't bode well for the profession.

Whatever you do, pleas do yourself a huge favor and research the hell out of it before you spend two years of your life and God knows how much $$ chasing this will-o-the-wisp.  Just one person's opinion.

Nov 6, 13 12:33 pm  · 
 · 
thisisnotmyname

Before anything else, how far are you from becoming a licensed civil engineer?

Nov 6, 13 1:36 pm  · 
 · 
JurassicJoel

I have not taken the FE yet, but I was planning on taking it early next year, since they are changing the process around. That's why I'm contemplating Architecture now, while I'm not entirely committed to Civil.

Nov 6, 13 1:56 pm  · 
 · 
thisisnotmyname

I know some guys that are licensed civil engineers and architects and they operate firms that practice in both areas.  Getting professionally licensed in both disciplines would probably increase your career options.  I also know people that did civil for undergrad and then basically abandoned engineering in favor of an MArch.  I think that is a less desirable route.  Beginning architects make way less initially than beginning engineers in my experience.

Nov 6, 13 2:12 pm  · 
 · 
chigurh

short answer...just a degree in civil engineering is not going to be an advantage in the workplace or job market. The degree speaks to your mathematical ability and possibly your technical skill, but that is about it.  You spent the time getting a BSCE from an accredited university, get your PE, then go back for your MArch if you are still interested.  It will also give you a chance to get your feet wet in the Civil field before jumping ship.  Also, think about getting into structural...cause if all you are doing right now is curb and gutter I totally understand the lack of interest.

Nov 6, 13 11:59 pm  · 
 · 
observant

Yes and no.

It is definitely a complimentary background and will make the M.Arch. easier, especially when it comes to structures and construction.  You might get some classes waived.  I think you should get your PE, since you've already worked.

It is an issue where the CE wants to be an architect just to be an architect.  I had two such alums in my class and, while academically competent, they didn't seem to enjoy design and did not do well at it.  One of them had some real hangups about being creative.  A woman in the program had taken him under her wing, as in mommying him, and one night in studio, he was pulling some hairs from his head, which he was losing anyway.  She said "Why don't you put a curve or a diagonal across this key element?"  He said "I can't do that.  I'm an engineer."  And he wasn't kidding, either.  I kept my disgust to myself.  So, if you can't cut loose, try new things (even if not too whacky), and have fun exploring design, then the CE background is not an advantage.

Bottom line:  the BSCE is a mixed bag as it applies to M.Arch.  Work on your portfolio and don't renege on your PE.  You can always go back or be valuable in an A/E setting. My 2 cents.

Nov 7, 13 12:54 pm  · 
 · 
geezertect

Definitely take the exam and get your PE license.  Stay working in engineering while you explore in depth your notion of moving into architecture.  Also, consider allied field like city planning, structural and architectural engineering, which are a natural extension of civil engineering background.  Bear in mind that engineers are held in much higher regard in the building industry than architects.  They are viewed as practical and smart (mathematics are intimidating to most people) whereas architects are viewed as little more than effete exterior decorators.

Nov 7, 13 5:59 pm  · 
 · 
observant

whereas architects are viewed as little more than effete exterior decorators.

Classic.  I first saw the word "effete" when I was 25.  I deduced what it meant by the context in the sentence and in the article.  In some cases, the shoe fits ... in a big way.

This was just a sidebar, OP.  Carry on ...

Nov 7, 13 10:04 pm  · 
 · 
chatter of clouds

shoes? 

stilettos please

Nov 7, 13 10:32 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: