Archinect
anchor

Parsons,Pratt, and NYIT for BFA, B. Arch

arainoftears08

WHat exactly is the difference? Which degree is better? NAAB doesn't seem to have Parsons accredited for their BFA. I would hopefully like to attend Parsons, I just applied for Fall 2009 and am waiting to hear back, but am worried about the accreditation issue. What does it mean to graduate with a degree thats not recognized by the NAAB, has anyone had any issues with that? Also does how long the studio spaces are open important? Are any of them 24/7? Has anyone taken the architecture adult summer program at parsons any advice on getting in and into the work scholars program? Is the immense amount of debt worth it after you have a degree from one of these schools, does it make sense? like it is possible to pay off and still be able to live comfortably. Also I deffered admission to Pratt last year for this year what are the chances I'll get in again? Any recommendations on how to obtain a scholarship to any of these schools?

Feb 15, 09 6:44 pm
PodZilla

BFA = Bachelor of Fine Arts. This is not an architecture degree and thus is not accredited by the NAAB. They only deal with B.Arch and M.Arch programs.

Feb 15, 09 6:56 pm  · 
 · 
mantaray

wow, you are intense.

What does it mean to graduate with a degree thats not recognized by the NAAB

It means that in some (most) states you will not be allowed to become a registered architect. Not becoming a registered architect more or less means -- depending on the state -- not being able to secure a building permit for a free-standing structure (the stamp of a registered architect is typically a requirement to build a building, although this varies by location, by type of building, and by size of building across the 50 states). Not being able to secure a building permit on your own means that either you will always have to work for someone else (some people are fine with this), or, you will have to pay some hack architect to review your drawings and stamp them for you, thus taking on the liability.

Feb 15, 09 7:01 pm  · 
 · 
arainoftears08

thank you for responding, do you know if this is true for Parsons? I mean it seems like such an amazing school I don't understand why they wouldn't have a first professional degree like the other schools. On the NAAB website it says that they only have their M. ARch that is accredited. I feel like what a waste of money to not even be able to work as a licensed architect.

Feb 15, 09 7:35 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

So... What are you asking?

Feb 15, 09 7:52 pm  · 
 · 
arainoftears08

Is a BFA from Parsons really worth it? Along with all my other questions in my first comment,LOL.

Feb 15, 09 8:21 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

Can we assume you're a high school student looking to start your undergrad degree? Is your ultimate goal to become a registered architect? Why do you want to go to Parsons so badly?

Assuming you're in high school and looking to start your undergrad degree, and assuming you want to become a registered architect, you have a couple of options:

Option 1: Five-year NAAB-accredited B.Arch. degree.

Advantages: Shorter overall time in school, greater focus on architecture, less expensive than going to grad school.

Disadvatages: Limited opportunities to transfer to another degree program if you decide this isn't what you really want to do, and more employers are now requiring applicants to have a masters degree. If you later decide to go teach in academia, you'll probably need a masters degree.

Schools in NYC that offer the B.Arch. degree include Pratt, City College, and NYIT.

Option 2: Four-year undergrad degree (such as a BA, BS, or BFA) followed by 2-3 years of grad school for a NAAB-accredited M.Arch. degree.

Advantages: 4-year undergrad provides for a more well-rounded education, and may expose you to things that you wouldn't find in a 5-year B.Arch. program. Having an M.Arch. degree would make you a more appealing candidate when applying to firms or working in an academic setting. Completing your education at two different schools will broaden your horizons, and you'll probably have a better idea of what sort of program you're looking for once you start your M.Arch.

Disadvantages: Takes more time, costs more money.

Schools in NYC that offer the M.Arch. degree include Pratt, City College, NYIT, Parsons, and Columbia.

If you really want to do a BFA at Parsons, there's nothing stopping you from doing that and going on to get a M.Arch. somewhere else afterwards. In the long run, it might even make you a better architect. But I wouldn't make a decision like that based on the desire to go to one particular school, unless there's something about that school that really stands out for you.

Feb 15, 09 8:52 pm  · 
 · 
amnesiac

why isn't Cooper on your list?
do a 5 year B.Arch. applying to M.arch programs with just a 4 yr arch degree is a hassle

Feb 16, 09 5:41 am  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

Forgot about Cooper... They have a 5-year B.Arch. program as well.

Feb 16, 09 8:12 am  · 
 · 
arainoftears08

I don't think i have the grades for Cooper, maybe if I decide to go for M. Arch? Plus I missed the application deadline, I really want to leave florida and go to NY ASAP, like this fall. Or even sooner if I get into the Work scholar program at Parsons this summer for the adult summer program in architecture. I was thinking of doing B.Arch and then doing my MBA. Every teacher I've had so far says to take business courses, that it would really help in this field.

Feb 16, 09 1:56 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

Cooper doesn't have a NAAB-accredited M.Arch. program. And I think their admissions process has less to do with grades and more to do with the creativity test they give you.

Why didn't you research colleges before sending in all your applications?

Some business classes are fine, but personally, I think the MBA is almost worthless as a degree. Just look at what our first MBA president did to the country. MBA grads are a dime a dozen, and if you find yourself in a position to be running your own firm a few decades from now, hire an office manager with a business background.

Feb 16, 09 2:49 pm  · 
 · 
arainoftears08

thanks so much for the advice. I guess you're right. Would you suggest getting a M. Arch then? I did research the colleges and their profiles and was aware of the creativity test, but had passed the deadline.

Feb 16, 09 11:23 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

My gut reaction: It sounds like you really want to live in NYC and go to Parsons. So go to Parsons, get your BFA, and get your M.Arch. afterwards. The BFA will give you a solid background and lots of portfolio material for when you apply to M.Arch. programs, and having the M.Arch. will make you more employable in the long run. In retrospect, I wish I had gone that route instead of struggling through a crappy BA in Arch. Studies program.

Feb 16, 09 11:51 pm  · 
 · 
arainoftears08

Where did you go to school if I may ask? and why was it crappy?

Feb 17, 09 11:49 am  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

I started my undergrad degree at the University of Illinois at Chicago in the mid-90's, when the school had just fired its director, the program had just transitioned from a 5-year B.Arch to a 4-year BA degree, the curriculum was rudderless, and I hadn't done any research into which schools would be a good fit for me. I went there because it was cheap, easy to get accepted into, and local. All the wrong reasons to pick a school, IMO. I left after a couple years, and spent the next several years working in the architecture business while making sporadic progress on my degree. I've been fortunate in that I've managed to advance pretty far without a degree (I'm now a Project Architect in a 70-person firm in NYC), but I've pretty much hit a ceiling until I get my M.Arch. degree.

Right now I'm tying up some loose ends with my BA degree through DePaul University's distance-ed program for adult students, and I'm preparing to apply to M.Arch. programs next fall. I'll most likely be applying to the University of Cincinnati, City College of New York, GSD, Columbia, and maybe one or two other schools.

Feb 17, 09 12:03 pm  · 
 · 
starrchitect

Dont bother wasting your money with Pratt. The faculty is a joke, and for the money you're spending you might as well save a fortune and go for City College.

It sucks and gargles my balls.

Feb 17, 09 11:04 pm  · 
 · 
arainoftears08

I was going to apply there (City College) but I missed the application deadline. Did you go to Pratt? I need to leave FL and start my life in NY now!! (This fall)

Feb 18, 09 1:15 pm  · 
 · 
sarahbrodbeck

Hello! ok you are in almost the same situation I am in and ive been reading the comments and I just wanted to know what you ended up doing? 

I got into Parsons as well as...

University of Illinois Chicago
Savannah College of Art and Design
Roger Williams University Institute of Chicago
New York Institute of Technology
University of Oregon

only NYIT and U of O have B.Arch programs... 

I think it might be smart since I am just 18 to keep my options open and go to parsons or UIC for my undergrad

Mar 28, 18 8:11 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: