Archinect
anchor

NYC MRED PROGRAMS??

uiltac

hi all

im currently interested in applying to mred programs and have been researching schools (nyu and columbia)  basically i am trying to get a feeling of where i fall within the pool of applicants but cant seem to find any information regarding previous years stats.  can anyone point me in a direction where i can find this information or perhaps know it?

gre v-620 q730 (debating on retaking it??)

BArch from carnegie mellon 2009

2 year work exp in an architecture firm.

any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Jun 2, 11 11:21 pm
trace™

Absolutely no help to offer, but I applaud your choice (try a search on here, though, it has been discussed).  I think you are the first I've seen here, and I've seen tons, that is going for a MRED (I, and others, have been suggesting that for many years).

Good luck.  Let us know what you find.

Jun 3, 11 2:59 pm  · 
 · 
n_

I am currently seeking that degree.  As well as an MArch.  

Jun 3, 11 3:53 pm  · 
 · 
grid

Check out a forum called cyburbia - I have found good MSRED/MRED info on there. I'm currently deciding if I need the degree or should just read/learn/dive in on my own. 

Jun 5, 11 12:29 am  · 
 · 
dblock

Why are you applying to MRED programs? What do you want to do with it. Most people I've seen with it leave the arch field to become facility managers/ wannabe developers. I don't really think it helps you find architecture related jobs, you are moving into an adjacent industry. Unless others have a differing opinion on its use whithin our field..

Note: its tough for developers out there right now and I know people from those schools with that degree who haven't been able to find work..

Jun 5, 11 12:50 am  · 
 · 
trace™

Nothing in the building industries is really hiring, but where we'll be in 2-3 years is anyone's guess.

I do think it would help in the architecture world to understand the other side, as many architect's don't.  But it is a good question, overall.

I assume that anyone going that route is interested in both architecture and development.

Jun 5, 11 4:50 pm  · 
 · 
eco_gen

The NYU program was the first MRED to ever exist and because of that, it has the largest network of alumni. Additionally, it provides the flexibility to go either part-time or full-time and has the most amount of real estate conferences for it's students. There is an average of at least one on campus real estate event per week at NYU Schack and even more when you consider all of the Real Estate events at Stern which the students also have access to. All NYU Schack students also have the ability to attend the NYU Stern Real Estate Conferences. Because of all of the above, I would highly recommend the NYU program over the Columbia program, especially if you are looking to go international after the program.

Additionally, the current dean at NYU Schack is the former dean of the Wharton MBA with a focus in Real Estate program. He is currently working to grow NYU back into the top real estate program in the country.

Feb 19, 18 3:24 pm  · 
 · 
archi_dude

I’m curious with all these new MRED programs if it’s basically going to be flooding the job market in the next few years. In my mind, it’s a niche that is a solid career choice because it’s been off of schools radars and requires a broad and rare understanding of finance, economics construction and real estate. But when you make it a major and a bunch of young kids go, “whoa make a lot of money and make buildings? Sign me up!” and flood the labor pool will it just turn into 10 years of low paid labor of doing pro formas? How many developers can there actually be? Just curious if maybe welding is still a more solid track. I’m thinking more and more white collar jobs are becoming what people think of blue collar ones and and blue collar ones are actually where it’s at. High demand right now, solid pay, small time investment to take ownership and pride in work, solid pay, time off and none of the unpaid overtime that is the complete norm in every white collar job.

Feb 19, 18 4:49 pm  · 
 · 
shji

Very interesting arch_dude.

Feb 22, 18 9:50 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: