Archinect
anchor

Local Discussion Groups - just a thought

arch_pod

I thought it might be interesting to try to regionalize and futher personalize design discussions by creating local lunch groups. The idea is to set up a group site that people in your area can link up and discuss design or whatever. Yahoo offers a great free group site.

I am in Boulder, CO and have started a Yahoo Group called CO_designers. if you live in the area and are interested check it out at ....
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CO_designers/

This group is created to get young professional designers in and around the frontrange (Denver, Boulder, Fort Collins, etc.) of Colorado to meet up for lunch discussions about design (art, architecture, graphics, sculpture, etc.)

This is not meant to be a networking group, more so it is meant to connect peers who share an interest in design and further the discussion thereof.

Oct 8, 04 2:05 am

Great idea, and fun, but hard to keep going. We had a discussion group in Louisville for about two years ('94-'96) but then everyone got too busy, etc. The topics we discussed, however, have still come up in each of our professional lives again and again.

We ran ours by having one of us circulate an article each week. We'd all read it and come ready to brawl. We had a great range of ideas, and some interesting conflicts. We didn't meet over lunch; after work beers were more our speed.

Even if it doesn't last a long time, it's a great way to rejuvenate and get the ideas flowing (especially if you've been out of school too long).

Oct 8, 04 11:33 pm  · 
 · 
arch_pod

Thanks for the Response, You right I am definately hopelful this thing will spin off. I graduated from a liberal arts program and really enjoyed the diversity of my friends and the conversation it created. So now that I am in a different state I was curious if I could get designers, artist, theorist whoever, to come together for lunch, beer or coffee and strike up conversation. I was hoping that the groups would not have to hold up to any on going threads but rather just get people connected within our regional area and strike up whatever topic that particular group wished to talk about.

thanks again for the response

Oct 10, 04 7:40 pm  · 
 · 
Jefferson

Hey arch_pod

Has this idea fallen apart? I am moving out there in two weeks, and would love to join the group. Let me know what is happening with this.

Thanks

May 25, 05 9:04 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: