Archinect
anchor

Good, practical/technical M.Arch I programs?

theunicorn

Any suggestions on schools that provide a practical education and "produce" good architects? I'm not looking to teach later on or get into "starchitecture." I just want a program with good profs, a practice-oriented curriculum, and nice facilities.

Help, please :)

p.s. I'm thinking about Cincinnati, ASU, VT, NC State and Washington State so far. Maybe KU. Are these even the kinds of program I'm looking for?

Oct 19, 13 10:05 pm
natematt

A couple of my friends went to NC State, seems like it might be right up your ally.

Oct 19, 13 11:30 pm  · 
 · 
theunicorn

Thanks! Do you know anything about the other programs, or have any other recommendations? It's not that I don't want any theory or design stuff in the programs I apply to, but I want to graduate with a solid portfolio and skills that firms find desirable.

Oct 20, 13 2:27 am  · 
 · 
Roshi

Check out the Illinois Institute of Technology in Chicago. Very mies-based school, lots of practicality happening. Everyone in my firm (except me) is an IIT grad and we're alive and kickin. Crown Hall is a pretty nice facility, built by the man himself (and renovated by my firm ^_^).

Oct 20, 13 12:01 pm  · 
 · 
l3wis

Investigate Clemson University.

I was interested in IIT but I visited and didn't like it. Be sure to visit the schools you are truly interested.

Oct 20, 13 12:24 pm  · 
 · 

"Good, practical/technical M.Arch I programs"

Isn't that an oxymoron?

Oct 20, 13 2:27 pm  · 
 · 
natematt

^true, but I don't think it's what most people want out of grad school either.

I didn't, but then again I had a really p/t school for undergrad... and I didn't go to THAT impractical of a grad school anyway.

...but I want to graduate with a solid portfolio and skills that firms find desirable.
I think you can get that from a lot of schools. I know plenty of people with very little "practical/technical" knowledge of architecture that got jobs at great firms. Architects are kinda funny like that...

Oct 20, 13 3:39 pm  · 
 · 
theunicorn

Haha thanks for the help :P

Oct 20, 13 5:17 pm  · 
 · 
gruen
KU and Cinci are what you want. Not sure about the others.
Oct 20, 13 6:09 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: