Archinect
anchor

Animation for presentation

archiwhat

What soft do you use/prefer for impressive animated presentation these days?

I used to play a lot with Flash, didn’t like it much thought – spent too many hours, got too messy results. Now I’m learning how to use AfterEffects for presentations based on SketchUp animation, and it seems much nicer. Just found Antics, which looks great with all those people walking around, but they don’t have free download version and even don’t purchase the product anymore..

Jan 6, 09 9:22 pm
JWassell

well VIZ or 3ds max are options for animating a camera in collaboration with a 3d model, can also explode axons and mess with layers. pretty powerful rendering outa the box too. if youve got a .edu email, or can get one easily, you can get VIZ for free from autodesk

Jan 6, 09 10:02 pm  · 
 · 
slop

yea ill second that, max is pretty good and i have used it quite a bit. takes a bit of getting used to but gives you lots of control and options. it is a pain to get decent looking ppl in it though. Maya is another option..

Jan 29, 09 10:48 pm  · 
 · 
grid

Maya taken to After Effects

Jan 29, 09 11:53 pm  · 
 · 
archiwhat

Unfortunately I don't know Maya, I know Max a little. I did animation in Max, but what I wasn't able to find out is how it is possible to render with alfa-channel so I could change the background in AfterEffects later.
I did sequences but each frame consisted of 2 images at the end - one was RGB, another Alfa. So I couldn't understand what to do with that.

Jan 30, 09 2:45 am  · 
 · 
trace™

If u render as a MOV, which is not recommended (but saves post time), u can use blending modes in AE to make the bg transparent (like if you render with a solid black background).

I'd render it as a series of TIFs with an alpha, put together in Premiere, then play in AE.

Jan 30, 09 9:53 am  · 
 · 
archiwhat

Thanx, trace,
I tried one more time with AE - In Scanline tga sequence works pretty well, in Maxwell this is a bit harder (you just can’t combine the alpha and RGB frames)

With Maxwell I had to import both alpha and RGB sequences to AE, then place the alpha render above and do Luma Matte. It worked but now I have a thin contour around my object.

Jan 30, 09 4:41 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: