Archinect
anchor

Architectural Thesis topic selection

Sreya

Hello everyone...

I have been asked to present the topics for my fifth year thesis. 

So, I have been thinking about what topics interest me the most. And here goes...

Manipulating the human psychology with architecture, especially through sound, light, texture, etc.I think that the studies on the architectural marvels of ancient India, Greece, Rome, etc. could help me on this.

However, I am not sure if this is an effective topic or what kind of design proposal should I apply this research on.

Moreover, I have always wanted to work on something that makes a remarkable change in the society.

Does a thesis on my intended topic have a scope of contributing to that??

Pls help me....... All suggestions and crits are welcome.

Thank you in advance...  :)

Oct 14, 13 10:49 pm
Roshi

It does - infact that is something I am focusing on in my work, and was a big interest of mine in my undergrad (and will most likely be involved in my master thesis)

I perceive architecture as a facilitator of "experience" both for the individual and the collective. Here is a little excerpt from an essay I wrote:

"Experiencing architecture entails various dynamics. Experience can be sensory or emotional; it can constitute amusement, satisfaction, indifference or displeasure. Translating such elements into architecture requires the understanding of the human response to space and a design’s potency to induce this response."

Now for your second part, which is also part of this particular essay:

"This premise also begs investigating architecture’s greater influence on society – whether good infrastructure design promotes prosperity economically and, more importantly, psychologically."

Just my 2 cents. Feel free to use my views, I think its somewhere up your alley.

Oct 14, 13 11:20 pm  · 
 · 
gruen
I think, Miles, we also need some way of banning these "promotional pens" type of postings. Is this thing not moderated?
Oct 15, 13 8:55 am  · 
 · 
Sreya

@ Roshi: Thank u very much. 

Oct 16, 13 12:44 pm  · 
 · 
ollin

That could be really interesting. I just went to the James Turrell exhibit at LACMA a few weeks ago, and that was really inspiring. Im also reading that book Corrections and Collections which is sort of depressing so far but good. Who knows where your research will take you but it seems like a good topic with lots of possibilities.

Oct 16, 13 3:07 pm  · 
 · 
Sreya

@ollin: grateful for ur valuable input. I must say that ur comment has also got me rethinking on another interest of mine... architecture and crime (both at a building level and at an urban level). 

Oct 16, 13 10:35 pm  · 
 · 

@Sreya, now that you mention architecture and crime, you should look into this community housing project called Pruitt-Igoe in St.Louis.
It deals with how psychology plays an important role in the crime rate of a neighborhood and also how low cost housing can prove to become a social hazard if not handled thoughtfully. 

The Pruitt-Igoe project was designed by a prominent architect back in the day and the entire project was demolished in just twenty years.
It's something that makes you want to stop and think about how it might have been back then. There's a documentary about the project. You should try watching it. It's sensational. 

Oct 17, 13 5:40 am  · 
 · 
natematt

^ the so-called "end of modernism"

So we are talking about phenomenology here...

I always appreciate when students do projects on experience that are based in practical application. I am very skeptical of the atmospheric and installation based 'architecture' projects I've seen in recent years.

Oct 17, 13 10:52 am  · 
 · 
yEAh

@Roshi: We have a similar topic! I also investigated about Architecture appealing to the 5 senses, how it affects the users. I focused heavily on "Holistic Architecture".

Anyway, your topic is something you should really like or must be inclined to it. You will read a lot of stuff about your topic so I think your preference of the subject comes first. Balance how your interests can contribute to the Architectural society by doing a more specific study on an unexplored area of interest. I believe it's better that we ought to explore areas which doesn't have a lot of published studies yet> : )

Oct 19, 13 8:20 am  · 
 · 
adi.D

Hello everyone,

My topic of interest is the Vidhan Bhavan Complex. The reason for this topic is that i wanted to choose a topic where i can show my idealisms in particular fields of culture, iconism, national structure. But the Problem here is i cant find a Site for this topic. Please Help me in finding a site. I dont understand here whether i can choose a site in a state where already there is a Vidhan Bhavan, or i would just need to Redevelop an existing VB? The objective is to design an environmentally responsible, profitable and healthy “PLACE”, where people can live and work with quality of life on it. 

The main idea is to recreate a city through a built environment that generates an event. It would act as a center of visual attraction.

Designing it as a ‘people’s assembly’ would be a challenge – a building that will be approachable, accessible, transparent and welcoming. 

Dec 23, 16 5:48 am  · 
 · 
adi.D

I was also thinking of another topic that is City Centre as a Cultural Hub. I was deeply inspired with Metropol Parasol, Seville, Spain. Wanted to make something like it.

A Public Architecture with non conventional Markets, can have a Library, Parks, Showcases, OAT's, concert places. But a major backing is missing here. Please help me in compiling some functions and give me some ideas on such a revitalization.

But site is an issue here as well. I was interested in taking a mill site Mumbai. Suggest me some. The Focus of the project would be:

1. To design a dynamic and creative Urban Space,
2. Bring in a distinct imaginary which can be represented as an icon for the city in future,
3. A contextual and contemporary approach to the design,
4. Coherence among distinct spaces by bringing in commonalities amongst them together.
5. To create mixed use spaces which can be used by young lads from slums to recite or read. The aim is to create public spaces with features that enhance women’s safety, and detract from features that cause women’s insecurity. While designing safe public spaces for women, special focus would be on lighting, landscaping & visibility.

Dec 23, 16 5:55 am  · 
 · 
kaenatseth

hey man, I'm doing my thesis on the exact same topic and i just found this thread. Did you end up doing this project? If yes, it would be great if you could send across some case study examples and the site you found!

Nov 18, 17 2:27 pm  · 
 · 
ppptr

hey anam here .. the topic i have chosen for my thesis is center for women empowerment and employment and i thought to propose in my own home town because it the most needed center...reason behind picking this topic is i wanna explore the field of architecture for social cause... but the thing is i am not getting what all will be the requirements i am even perplexed as i cant find any centers for my case studies can any one suggest me the REQUIREMENTS and even any CENTERS which can help me for my case study..., it would b really helpful for me 

Sep 1, 17 11:38 am  · 
 · 
randomised

Great way to choose a "thesis", when's it due?

Sep 2, 17 3:37 am  · 
 · 
kgalalelomathobisa

Hey Anam , Kgali here... I have also chosen to do an urban women's empowerment centre . I am also quite perplexed at the fact that there is no precedent study that had been built in the urban environment for women. I found a landscape precedent called the " Women's Opportunity Centre" in Rwanda by Sharon Davis Design , however it isn't applicable to my urban site. If you have come up with anything please share, it would be immensely helpful. Thank you

Feb 22, 20 1:08 pm  · 
 · 
publicinterest

i too am doing thesis on women empowerment center .please share wat u hav come up so far .

Dec 2, 17 3:37 pm  · 
 · 
sukainarizvii

hey

i have also selected "women empowerment through architecture" as my thesis topic. but dont you think designing centres will only enclosed them from the walls of their home to the walls of centre, what i feel about empowering women is to make them strong enough to bridge the way from home to any other place and boost up their confidence level and  enough to make their existance among male dominant society so strong that they no longer become dependant on others rather than bringing them to centres. 

Dec 22, 17 1:46 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

That is not a thesis topic... nor can architecture solve culturally backward point of views. Want women empowerment? let them be equal in every way even if that is in conflict with whatever dumb superstitions which may have existed for centuries.

Dec 22, 17 1:54 pm  · 
 · 
geethaashree

iam planning to do a design with schools.can someone sujjest me some research topic....

Jan 26, 18 9:57 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

no, do your own research.

Jan 26, 18 10:23 am  · 
 · 

How can u build a potato farm

Jan 26, 18 10:24 am  · 
 · 
jawadzgheib

Hi  my topic is city and the brain 
The reason is to understand the connection of a brain  and how it works and if I can relate to it  in  a urban systeme.  I am trying to see if I can manipulate a urban systeme in the connection made in it  and if it can help me with adjusting a mulfunction in a systeme like urban accupucture .please can you tel me what do you think about my topic and if tou have any reference ideas on it 

Feb 5, 18 5:03 pm  · 
 · 
placebeyondthesplines_

city and brain so compelling !

synapse of urban systeme is much like onramp of holistic pokey needles, how do you arrive at such geinus thought? lol i love it

maybe read derrida or mvdrvrv?

Feb 5, 18 5:26 pm  · 
 · 
jawadzgheib

Mvdrvrv???

Feb 6, 18 6:13 am  · 
 · 
jawadzgheib

Can you explaine to me how derrida can help I read derrida talks about deconstruction

Feb 6, 18 6:14 am  · 
 · 
randomised

I can talks about derrida how to explaine deconstruction can you help me to read

Feb 6, 18 8:33 am  · 
 · 
placebeyondthesplines_

deconstruction of metacityscapes in rotterdang neverland parallels medulla oblongata involuntary panopticon ! could be award win thesis if winy maas give blessing

Feb 6, 18 10:40 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Brilliant folks... just brilliant.

Feb 6, 18 11:06 am  · 
 · 
randomised

Darn it, my monkey got hold of the keyboard again.

Feb 6, 18 12:46 pm  · 
 · 
placebeyondthesplines_

what decide jawadzgheib?? acupressure neurotecture urban systeme...maybe deleuze schmoove space writings would enform ?

Feb 6, 18 8:27 pm  · 
 · 
randomised

Handy reference, only works at full blast though:

Feb 5, 18 11:07 pm  · 
 · 
Volunteer

OK, here is the Progress Estate  from 1915. Your thesis would be "Why have the Brits utterly failed since then with 'social housing'?

And PLEASE spare your professors with the 'diversity, inclusion, women in architecture, giraffes in architecture, ect.' nonsense.

Feb 6, 18 11:03 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

giraffes are people too you know. #allgiraffesmatter

Feb 6, 18 11:07 am  · 
 · 
placebeyondthesplines_

frightened white dude alert

Feb 6, 18 8:28 pm  · 
 · 
SOMEONE KNOWN

Hello people,

I think everyone here is needled with same problem like mine. ‘THESIS TOPIC’

Thesis is something which helps us to decide out future. Something which we are going to follow further upto some extend. I am in doubt that wheather we should decide topic that is out of the box or create some such structure which are inquistive rather than focusing more about the topic.

Till now i have researched about Zaha hadid mam and Mies ven der rone sir and want to create something that is the mix of the two. Hadid mam who focuses more on dynamic structure and Rohe sir who is more toward detailing of minimalism things , focuses more on structural members. I have to design some large span structure which should me dynamic  but created through structural members as a main focus. Its like i want to mix the style of two great people and create something that is inquistive.

Can anyone plz suggest me the topic and if had any reference to such type of projects. Any case study which can help me out to get some conclusions .

Apr 15, 18 12:52 am  · 
 · 
prachijariwala

hello everyone ...

I m prachi . 

I m searching for valid topic for architecture thesis .

My major intrest is in psychology.  And how architecture and psychology effect human and how they can human and its life. 

Any suggestion for the topic . 

Jan 28, 20 2:26 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

One topic for you: how to do the bare minimum and crowd source your homework.

Jan 28, 20 6:43 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: