Archinect
anchor

I am sick of Architecture School... (no, not the show)

l0sts0ul

I threw in the towel winter break. Depressed. Lost. Confused. Emotional. I clawed my way out and picked up the shattered pieces off the floor. I clenched that towel off the floor and came back for more! I fought my way till I was granted into the second studio. I came back with my head down, and spear headed the semester, having one of the best projects in my class. Hated amongst my classmates for my practicality, they would tell you otherwise. What I was told on my exit interview by my instructor has lifted me onto a whole new level. Someone you actually sees my thoughts, my skills, my passion... and to actually compliment me over the schools 'elite'.

"Maybe it was a matter of luck?"

"Maybe it was other things?"

I say these sayings from time to time, but as I sit and ponder, it was my dedication. I feel spirited to finish another year. When I thought I was beaten down to the ground, when I thought I was questioned as being an horrible architect, I came back with vengeance.

BRING IT ON!

May 14, 09 9:33 pm  · 
 · 
lcanet

I am in architecture grad - and i have not gotten my grade yet but I would not be surprised if i got a C.

One thing to keep in mind, architecture is not for everyone, it by NO MEANS means you're not passionate, involved, or wouldn't be very good at something else, or even something similar. "not being able to rought it out" does not make you a useless person.

it is a very underpaid profession, and not necessarily for everyone. Also since you did arch in undergrad you might not have a good idea of what else is out there. I did not do arch in undergrad, and even if I get a C, I am sticking with it. Why? Because I've already tried out other fields, and was not able to tough out my previous profession. Why? Not because I was dumb or unmotivated, but because it was not a good fit. Not being a good fit seems cliche, but it really is true.

Analyze yourself. What are your strengths? Maybe you have good social skills. Maybe you are good at math. Maybe you are creative. Maybe you are not creative but you are very organized. There is a career out there for someone with your qualities. Find it! Seriously, there is no shame in switching careers, and it does not mean you're a loser who couldn't tough it out. If you've been doing this for undergrad AND grad, and you're tired, maybe it wasn't the right profession for you in undergrad either. Take it for me, I chose the wrong major in undergrad too.

Good luck.

Dec 11, 09 12:48 pm  · 
 · 
passerby1ce

what'd you do bettyloo?

enjoying arch. now? why?

Dec 11, 09 1:52 pm  · 
 · 
Paradox

After getting a very SERIOUS traffic ticket and talking to lots of people including attorneys I started seeing the law field very attractive! Especially the traffic law part!

Dec 11, 09 4:03 pm  · 
 · 
weezypal

I live in paradise with no financial worries, a great partner, loads of time to do anything I want and not a care in the world.

I still want to give everything up and go back to school.

All architects are masochists at heart.

Dec 11, 09 5:49 pm  · 
 · 
weezypal

It also helps to think that wearing all black and carrying around a moleskin is really really cool.

Dec 11, 09 5:50 pm  · 
 · 
trace™

MBA

Dec 11, 09 7:35 pm  · 
 · 
2step

You can do SO MUCH better than an architecture degree, whatever that means. As a Licensed Architect I can honestly tell you that your "education" has no bearing on how you will perform. Your best bet would be to work as a carpenter's apprentice or similar trade but I doubt that is acceptable toady. Your loss, lobby the NCARB to change the rules. Im glad I was licensed in the 1970s and not today. I actually know what Im doing and was educated for a whole lot less.

Dec 11, 09 10:35 pm  · 
 · 
snook_dude

Jack....> are you Leed?
Jack>>>are you Lead?
Jack /// are your NCARB?
jack??? are you AIA?
Jack can you design your way out of a paper bag? If you can grab the cat by the tail.....and go for it, cause I know you know how to write a contract. We be the next big winners!

Dec 11, 09 11:08 pm  · 
 · 
Paradox

"I actually know what Im doing and was educated for a whole lot less."
*sigh*
I should have born around the 60ies..More value in apprenticeship,less schooling,much less loans, and hippies...

Dec 12, 09 2:03 am  · 
 · 
hankd

k4dm0Nk3y, you're just another angsty teenager

Dec 12, 09 8:29 pm  · 
 · 
Milwaukee08

In studios, anything less than a B is failure, even in undergrad. I did get an F in a studio once, I didn't even bother finishing the second project because I was so burned out, so that was my fault. Retook it a semester later and got a B.

The problem is that studios are worth so many credits (in my school lectures are 3 credits, studios are 6), so that anything below a B just tanks your GPA, making it that much more difficult to advance to the next level.

Dec 13, 09 1:35 pm  · 
 · 
NWA

"He told me lack of sex is bringing meeee down"

Dec 14, 09 3:40 am  · 
 · 
jessycatherine

Thank you!!! I could graduate from a Accounting program in a year, or this Architecture one in 2. It's really between passion and realism. It feels like one of those things where everyone mentions how the grass is always greener on the other side, but I think I value my mental, physical, and marital health more than what I do, so I really got to consider!

Aug 16, 23 2:56 am  · 
 · 

I wonder after all those years what career l0sts0ul is leading. I wish he/she is enjoying what he/she deserves and what much more rewarding to do!

Sep 29, 23 10:27 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: