Archinect
anchor

VoIP

mightylittle™

Anybody using VoIP as their primary source for home telephony?

I've got the usual cell-phone/broadband combo and am looking to oust earthlink as my DSL and home-phone provider.

am thinking of going with comcast's high-speed 6mbps with 12mbps boost service (which i hear is getting the auto-upgrade to 12mbps standard with boost to 20mbps at the end of the month) but don't necessarily want to shell out the extra coin for their phone service.

i've heard good and bad stories about Vonage, and mostly horror stories about the rest: magicjack, sunrocket, etc.

the only one that looks good thus far is phone.com but there are few substantive reviews available.

also - anyone use jajah for calling?

fyi - this is mostly for incoming calls in the US and the occasional calls to france and italy, though those are typically skype based already.

Dec 16, 08 1:42 am

Mighty,
I use Cox Cable for all my digital communication needs.
It work pretty good. At the least is convenient and the price is ok with the bundle.
If you really want to save money with VOIP though, you should get Vonage or Skype...

Although, i didn't.. (well i do have a Skype account just don't use it except for international) as my Cox package is pretty sweet.

Dec 16, 08 8:17 am  · 
 · 
vado retro

i have had vonage for three years works just fine. in fact, i just talked to lb and she came through loud and clear.

Dec 16, 08 11:44 am  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

I used Vonage for a while and had no complaints about it.

Right now I'm using a VoIP line that came are part of a "Triple Play" package from Time Warner Cable. It works fine from a technical perspective, but I do have a complaint about Time Warner:

When I first set up the service, they gave me a brand-new phone number. I asked for an unlisted number, and I hadn't given this phone number out to anybody, since I mainly use it for outgoing calls. Nevertheless, within 24 hours of setting up the service, I began getting at least 2-3 telemarketing calls per day. Most of the callers asked for me by name, so it's not like they were calling somebody else's old phone number. Even though Time Warner denies it (in fact, they deny that I'm even getting telemarketing calls), it's obvious that they're selling their customers' names and phone numbers to telemarketing companies. There's simply no other way these outfits would know my name and phone number within days of me setting up the service.

Dec 16, 08 12:06 pm  · 
 · 
mightylittle™

thanks for the comments. comcast just offered me a deal that seems pretty comcastic at the moment, and since the plans for reliable VOIP (like vonage) are the same price as what i will potentially get from comcast...i'm going to just go with them.

i use skype all the time for video with my folks and my family in france, and i'm starting to get into jajah which allows you to connect globally by dialing local numers so i can call int'l with my cell phone too.

my promotional, non-contractual rate with comcast is for 12mos. if voip seems to have weathered the economic storm and is more robust in a year, i'll switch.

Dec 16, 08 2:00 pm  · 
 · 
aquapura

I've used Magicjack for quite some time with relatively few complaints. It's great for traveling because it works anywhere with a computer and broadband access. Sometimes it's poor quality, probably thanks to internet speed, but most of the time it's on par with other VoIP. Best of all the annual fee is something like $25 ~ for the whole year. All the calls I make to Canada easily pays for that in one month alone. Probably not a home phone replacement, but if you already have a cell phone it's more than enough backup.

Dec 16, 08 3:12 pm  · 
 · 
MADianito

we use VONAGE at the office actually, mainly cause a lot of the clients are american building a second home here (Cabo Mexico) so we need to have an american ph.number to facilitate things, and even with mexican internet service (not top of the line) if we are not downloading torrents (hahaha) we can have a very good conversation/clarity with it.

Dec 16, 08 3:17 pm  · 
 · 
marcfaust

I have used the Magicjack before and its not reliable actually. I always call the customer service because most of the time there are no dial tone. This is more technical aspect of communication so you need to call help from the expert.

Anyway company that offers telemarketing services should know more about this technology so i suggest you look for their technical persons.

Mar 30, 11 2:36 am  · 
 · 
kalyan234

i get the best information about voip from here

Sep 16, 18 4:31 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: